Thomas Cole and Black Dome mts. from Barnum rd.1-3-15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

Reaction score
Home-West Shokan N.Y.Avatar 35x12 Catskill grid pa
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=110274937487305514320&target=ALBUM&id=6100203373809908881&authkey=Gv1sRgCPq4xv_mvIyPlgE&feat=emailWe knew that a storm was moving in so we got a early start. We were able to walk up to the 1st ridge without micospikes on , but after that we wore them. We also carried 10 pt. crampons but that would be overkill. The trail is hard packed and rutted from the post holes when the snow was softer and deeper. This made it more difficult than it should have been. I twisted an ankle.We could see the storm approaching from the south,so we moved fast so that we could be off the back rds. before the traveling got too bad.A very nice hike and 2 more winter 3500' peaks for my friend Linda.We would have gone over to Blackhead if the weather was better for the ride back. She has already climbed Blackhead in Winter and Summer.More snow and rain and ice is n the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. I hope it's mostly snow. I did take a few pictures up at the top of the report.