East Kennebago 6/14/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdways01

Reaction score
Parking: 45°6.584'N, 70°35.929'W
Miles: 3.38
Total Elevation: 1,297 feet
Total Time: 2:21

The start of the road off of Route 16 is not marked with a sign, so be on the lookout. There is currently some ribbon hanging in the trees, but I am sure this is for the active logging in the area. The road to where I parked starts off ok, but gets rough with plenty of larger rocks. I don't think a car could safely make it past 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to the parking. There are also water bars to negotiate closer to the parking. My wife's Rav4 handled everything fine though and I was glad I had it instead of my Corolla.

I headed further up the logging road from the car. Past the signs telling ATVs to stop here as the view doesn't go any further. The road is easy to follow. It eventually gets narrower and soon becomes a bit more like a path through the woods. You still know you are on it though. There is one spot where it may look like you can turn right, but stay left, passing the cairn. After about 0.9 miles, there is currently a small tree down with a path around it that walks over some sheet metal. Just after this cue, the boundary path crosses. There are two small cairns and the yellow wood post is currently leaning against the hillside on the left.

The boundary path is easy to follow and is marked by old yellow and blue blazes. Any hard spots on the path have herd paths around them. You will pass a few cairns along the way, before coming to a larger one where you leave the boundary line. The herd path is obvious here, and if you weren't paying attention you might not realize you left the boundary line. There appears to be no traffic heading past this point on the boundary.

The path wanders side to side a bit more now that you are off the boundary, but it's still pretty easy to follow. It gets faint in a few places, but you just need to pay attention. There is a fork in the path that I missed on the way up. The left fork is more of a straight shot here and this was the route I took. The two paths join up just before the summit, which is where I even noticed the second one. At the summit the flies were buzzing all around and quite annoying. I stayed just long enough for a drink and some pictures. They were bothersome enough I forgot to sign the register (but I know I was there and that is what counts). On the way back down I followed the same path I took up, knowing what to expect on it. Back at my car I could see some ATVs had been up to the view here while I was gone, but I never saw another person on this hike.