Shelburn Moriah - Rattle River & Kenduskeag Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenPeaks

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 8/9/15

Trail Conditions: Rattle River trail is in great shape. River crossings were easy and there's a couple minor muddy spots. Thanks to the person who made a rock arrow to show the spot where to cross the river after the shelter. The Kenduskeag Trail is very muddy in spots, particularly near the AT intersection. Many areas between the AT and Shelburn Moriah are overgrown. The trail isn't too hard to follow, but you'll be pushing your way through brush a lot. Wear long pants.

Special Equipment Required: Long pants for the tight brush on the Kenduskeag trail. I hiked on a cool, cloudy day so bugs weren't a problem. Bring water and gatorade for the steep climb up to the AT on the Rattle River trail.

Comments: Finally got a chance to bag another 52 with a view. Unfortunately, the clouds were hanging low and the views were minimal. The AT (Rattle River tr) is great. Very well maintained trail, even in the steep sections. The rock steps made for easy going. Met a few thru-hikers along the way. Once on the ridge it was pretty obvious not many people head towards Shelburn Moriah. In addition to the mud and brush there's lots of ups and downs. A few rock scrambles too. It was a tiring hike after the slog up the AT. On the bright side, I did have some views into the valley and the blueberries are almost ready to eat. My 48th 52 with a View. Something symbolic about hitting that number.

Your name: TenPeaks

Your E-mail address: [email protected]