Franconia Ridge Loop - sneaking a peak at the new trail work

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The forecast for fine dry weather was too good to resist today so I headed over to Lafayette Place early this morning. 6:30 AM on a Tuesday looks like it got me the first day hiker slot. As I was heading up the trail I heard a loud group pulling into the lot in several vehicles. I did my normal preferred clockwise hike. The trail crew that reported is working 4 days a week has two areas of concentration. Area is one is not that far past the trail split for Falling waters on the side slope heading north roughly parallel to the parkway. It is some very impressive work; I expect many folks would be honored having a set of the steps on their home. All the steps appear to be cut to size using rock drills. Rise and run of the steps are standard. Its top rate looking work. . The net batch looks to be bit older immediately past the State Park boundary where the RUA starts. They are being careful to "mine" rocks quite far from the trail, but the woods look a bit worse for the wear from all the traffic, nothing a fall and winter will not erase. I passed a set of steps under construction with a tarp set up besides the trail but no one there. I talked to a hiker that started about 20 minutes later and the crew was there.

Given the general neglect of the trail in past years, they have plenty places to work on and they have not hit the steep sidehill that slabs up and then cuts up on the ridge. That will be far more extensive work. I can guess they picked the spots they did based on different funding sources and to pick a lower easy to access section for media and dignitary visits.

Given the standard of work they are doing, this is going to be unlike any trail in the whites. It going to be far more like I would associate with a national park. Therein lies the "rub", unless they mobilize a lot more crews and manpower, getting the OBP rebuilt to this new standard, is going to take decades. There is no evidence of an attempt to triage the rest of OBP and no hint of work on the ridge or Falling Waters. My guess would be that using a more rugged standard like RMC or other groups would use might be quicker and a better use of resources. I remember when the USFS rebuilt the trail between Hermit Lake and the base of the Tuckermans one year and they made a far more natural looking footbed that looked like it would hold up.

The rest of the loop was cool and somewhat uneventful until Haystack. The ridge was in and out of the clouds but seemed to be clearing as I went. When clear, the views were quite far, I could see Camels Hump and the mountains in Evans Notch plus quite far into Northern VT. Quite rare during summer. I stuck with long pants and windblock fleece as there was stiff NW wind.

I could hear some jet traffic in the area at higher altitudes, as soon as I started down Falling Waters, two A-10s started doing high speed runs from the south up Franconia Notch, then banking hard and going up over the ridge. I was in the trees but when I saw them they were well below my elevation. I expect the folks on the ridge got quite a show. This went on almost all the way to the first brook.

The brook crossings looked far better than my last hike this spring.

I always love seeing the military training.

From a recent NHPR report

"Trail systems and national parks around the country are facing these same dual pressures of crowds and changing weather. To counteract those, wilderness managers are looking to harden hiking trails to new conditions, making them more sustainable. DeLucia is helping to lead an ambitious five-year project that will overhaul every foot of the Franconia Ridge trail. The federal government, along with private foundations, the World Trails Network and AMC are spending about $1.8 million on the effort."

When they are finished, it probably won't look much like I remember it, having last hiked that loop in 2004. Counter-clockwise btw peakbagger :cool: But I suppose this kind of trail hardening is going to be necessary if popular routes like this are going to survive for future generations. When I first did it circa 1977 (I wasn't even keeping track of my hikes back then) we had company, but I would not say it was crowded by any means.

... Given the standard of work they are doing, this is going to be unlike any trail in the whites. It going to be far more like I would associate with a national park. Therein lies the "rub", unless they mobilize a lot more crews and manpower, getting the OBP rebuilt to this new standard, is going to take decades. There is no evidence of an attempt to triage the rest of OBP and no hint of work on the ridge or Falling Waters. My guess would be that using a more rugged standard like RMC or other groups would use might be quicker and a better use of resources. I remember when the USFS rebuilt the trail between Hermit Lake and the base of the Tuckermans one year and they made a far more natural looking footbed that looked like it would hold up.
Last year I hiked in a few places in Colorado including a very popular trail to several lakes (Bear, Nymph, Haiyaha, Emerald), probably the most popular spot in Rocky Mountain NP. The lower part of the trail just out of the parking lot was paved in blacktop. Definitely took away from the wilderness experience, but then again it facilitated all the folks out that day. I'd gotten an early start and had it to myself on the way out, but coming back down I passed many people in attire other than hiking gear. Had that trail been dirt and rocks it would suffer unsustainable erosion due to the numbers of people there.

The Appalachian Trail Conference rebuilt the trail up Bear Mountain in Harriman State Park about 20 years ago as it was loved to death as its a popular day trip from NYC. Not a lot of detail on the work but a couple of good pictures. https://www.nynjtc.org/bearmtnprojecthistory

Maine Appalachian Trail Club spent 19 years rebuilding the section of the AT east from the summit of Whitecap Mtn in Maine to the valley. They also have done some incredible stonework in the 100 mile wilderness. And of course, the AT (Hunt Trail) had been under reconstruction for a couple of decades above Katahdin Stream Falls. This work can be done but its takes time and money.

The cynic in me will point out that since AMC is the lead on this project, they will be able to fund one or more positions off the grants for the duration of the work as the lead usually is allocated grant management funds in the funding request.

Sorry to disagree but I was disappointed by the New York / New Jersey Trail Conference work on Bear Mountain. Yes there are a lot of steps, unnecessary for the most part in my opinion. Their reroutes take hikers away from some of the best views on the mountain. Trails on the summit are now paved with gravel, again unnecessary as they largely parallel an asphalt road. Work they did on the AT by West Mountain only five or six years ago has collapsed already, necessitating a reroute so long it makes it difficult to meet travel connections back at Bear Mountain Inn.

My understanding is that a lot of the work took place because through-hikers complained that the trail through Harriman State Park was "too hard."