Solar chargers for long trips

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No experience with that particular model, but I've found that solar panels aren't very effective in general when hiking the northeast due to tree cover. Probably the best alternative is to bring a portable USB charger, the increased weight is pretty negligible.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Bear-Grylls-SolarWrap-Charger/dp/B00AMPJNT2

I have one of these that I will be taking on my Spanish Pyrenees 150 miler on the GR 11 this coming summer. Since I will be above treeline during much of the hike I plan on attaching it to my backpack during the day, and using it to recharge my GoPro camera during the night when I am in my tent. I have tested it out in full winter sun lately, and it takes at least ten hours of direct sunlight for the charge light to go out. The Spanish sun is pretty intense as I learned during my two Caminos so hopefully it will work out. Using it on woodland trails would be iffy IMHO. From what I can gather, the high mountain refuges are pretty fussy about people plugging in their electronics. But I will pick up a USB charger when I get to Spain. I have one here at home, but it needs an adapter which just adds more weight. Picking up a like device in Spain will eliminate that added item.