Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wow - Black Pond "Bushwhack"

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    If any of them were in the High Peaks, I'd appreciate knowing which ones.
    I don't believe they were but I'd have to look. Next time I'm in BaseCamp uploading tracks I'll check. I do almost all of my hiking in NH and have only done a few trips to NY so far Marcy via Van Hoevenberg, Algonquin and Wright via Avalanche Lake loop and the Rocky Peak Ridge out and back from Rte 9N (? - The East trail head side with Blueberry Hill or Cobble).
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 5/46

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    So the question is, have the groups I have been with been marching to a beat of different drummer or has the BPBs north end shifted over the years?
    The last time I took the BPB (2-3 yrs), I was leading a group and came out at the campsite near the crossing. I think more herd paths may be heading that way. I tend to head generally magnetic north and take the path and of least resistance. I took the same route on return. I used to come out west of that after dropping down over the little pitch of thick spruce closer to the more traditional end. I'll take note next time.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Strava recently released their 2017 Global Heatmap. There's far more data in it compared to the previous one (2015). While perusing it, I remembered this thread and had a gander at the Black Pond bushwhack. It's fascinating to see how braided the tracks become in that short distance.

Switch the map to "Satellite" to get a clearer representation of the area.
    https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#15.....11540/hot/run

(Pan the map north to see the Brutus Bushwhack.)

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Strava recently released their 2017 Global Heatmap. There's far more data in it compared to the previous one (2015). While perusing it, I remembered this thread and had a gander at the Black Pond bushwhack. It's fascinating to see how braided the tracks become in that short distance.

This is really cool!
    | 62.2% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Another well-worn (and braided) shortcut:

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13.....21590/hot/run

Thank you for posting this resource, never seen it before, very useful!

Thanks for posting, this is so cool! I just spent about a half hour looking around at the tracks all over the White Mountains, cool to zoom in on the bushwhacks, slides, abandoned trails, and other unique spots to see if there is a heatmap line.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)

The Vose Spur whack also appears scattered: https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#15.....10178/hot/run

And just as interesting to me is how distinct some of the 'whacks' are: Nancy, Fire Wardens (Hale) and the Basin (Liberty)

Also, people using abandoned/re-routed trails like theAT on Moosilauke, getting lost on the Piper, finding they way up the North Slide on Tripyramid, trying to cross Franconia Brook, or walking across Lonesome Lake.
    Last edited by TJsName; 11-02-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    | 62.2% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Thank you for posting this resource, never seen it before, very useful!
    I've used Strava's Heatmap to add/modify High Peaks hiking trails in OpenStreetMap (OSM). You're not allowed to use a proprietary source as a mapping reference for OSM (like Google Maps). Fortunately, Strava allows its heatmap tracks to be traced for use in OSM.

Normally, I'll try to collect several GPS tracks from online sources (like Wikiloc) and hiking companions. When drawing the trail, I'll manually "average" the aggregation of collected tracks. This ensures the finished trail will be closer to "true" than by simply tracing a single GPS track. Strava's Heatmap is an "aggregator of tracks" and saves me the time of having to collect them individually.

Having said that, the previous version of their Heatmap was far skimpier and lacked data for less-frequented trails. However, the new one almost has too much data (even so-called "secret routes" are revealed)!

The only thing that prevents me from using this new version for OSM mapping is that Strava has not yet updated their Tile Mapping Service (TMS). The URL above is for viewing the Heatmap in a browser. However, there's another one, for TMS, if you want to view it in a navigation app or in a map-editor (http://globalheat.strava.com/tiles/running/...). They haven't updated that one with the latest data yet; hopefully soon.
    Last edited by Trail Boss; 11-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Strava recently released their 2017 Global Heatmap. There's far more data in it compared to the previous one (2015).
    This is so great, especially for checking off-trail stuff! How do you use the tiles for background in OSM? Do you need to use JOSM for that?

Strava Heat Maps are very cool. They have over 1 billion activities recorded (not all include tracks). Here are my personal heat maps (hiking and cycling, zoomed to NH only.)

Bicycling Heat Map

Hiking Heat Map

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike-heatmap.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	5894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hike-heatmap.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	5895  
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

re: AMC (NH Chapter) leader information: "Accepted Peer Practices" - "AMC leaders must keep to trails and may not bushwhack, or lead groups to any area more than 500' from the trail....Thus, for example, Owls Head, etc. are off limits to AMC hikes."

Owl's Head was a very popular hike but now we cannot lead hikes there, unfortunately. It is what it is!
    Yay for winter!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    How do you use the tiles for background in OSM? Do you need to use JOSM for that?
    Yes. JOSM supports TMS (Tile Map Services), WMS (Web Map Services), and WMTS (Web Map Tile Services).

Here's a list of maps it supports by default: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Maps You can, of course, display other maps as long as they are rendered using one of the three aforementioned services.

I've used it to display NYS GIS Orthoimages (recorded in early spring; no leaves and you can see the terrain more clearly) and, for New Hampshire, you can display hi-res imagery from their Statewide GIS Clearinghouse (relevant web services page is here).

Several backcountry-navigation apps also let you display maps rendered by TMS and WMS. You could, for example, display Strava's Heatmap on top of NH's satellite imagery (just like in JOSM). Here's an example of a custom map, created in Alpinequest, composed of several maps including Strava's Cycling Heatmap, Caltopo's Slope Shading layer, and TF Outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca M View Post
    re: AMC (NH Chapter) leader information: "Accepted Peer Practices" - "AMC leaders must keep to trails and may not bushwhack, or lead groups to any area more than 500' from the trail....Thus, for example, Owls Head, etc. are off limits to AMC hikes."

Owl's Head was a very popular hike but now we cannot lead hikes there, unfortunately. It is what it is!
    It will be interesting if the AMC four thousand committee will remove Owls Head from the list as per club policy there is no legal way to access it Same thing for the AMC guide, do they remove the description?

Becca, do you have a source for that quote? I can’t find anything like that in the AMC 2017 leadership manual. The only bit I can find on bushwhacking is, “Stay on already heavily impacted trails, and spread the group out when bushwhacking." So is that NH chapter-specific?
    Sure. Why not.