Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce via ART and CP (2-22-18)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trails: Ammonoosuc Ravine and Crawford Path

Conditions: Spring hiking conditions. Ammo Ravine was packed snow for first two miles to Gem Pool. Fast moving light traction. From Gem Pool up the steeps is a mix of hardpack and ice. Light traction good ascending but would want more descending. Rogue paths everywhere up high in last 0.5. Take good care to avoid climbing over water and weak snow bridges. Normal crossings were easy enough. Crawford Path to W was mixed rock and ice. Light traction fine. Monroe Loop is easy enough. One short snow field to cross was not an issue. CP was mostly exposed rock. Snow in the krummholz. CP packed out. Mount Clinton Road walkable.

Comments: about the only winter days I will attempt Washington are those I feel it's a steal. This was no exception. Low teens and mild winds. Didn't see a soul from lot to summit and only 4 hikers on the trails. Really felt like April conditions. Carried snowshoes and crampons and didn't need either but would have used crampons descending Ammo. Used an axe as a walking stick but was happy to have it for grip here and there. No need for self arrest on this route. CP on the descent was a breeze and a welcome grade at the end of the day. A fabulous day to be out in the mountains. The walk back to ART was a quick one. Mount Clinton Road packed down and bare bootable. I miss the snow. Glissading ART is as fun as it gets. Maybe we'll get a few feet at elevation in March and April.