Eisenhower via Edmands Path 4/2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuckermanpaws

Reaction score
Mt Clinton Road gate was open and the road was easily passable on Sat.

Trail conditions were as expected. Bare, soft, muddy ground for the first mile or so, patchy ice started showing up and that transitioned into an ice filled trail, eventually the ice got softer and transitioned into a firmer snow pack, and then to ice and bare rock above treeline. There was one small blowdown in the first mile but it could be easily stepped over.

I put on crampons at around 1.5 mi into the hike and kept them on until I was within about a mile of the trailhead on the return. Traction is needed for this hike. I think snowshoes may help once the snow softens on the upper section below treeline. I was able to avoid postholes by staying in the center, but there were some deep ones on either side.

Edmands is a nice moderate hike to the summit of Eisenhower and my dog made it with a little help through the icy steeper sections. It was a fun day. I was hoping to make it out and back to Monroe too, but I didn't trust the weather.