Mt Clinton Rd from Base road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it possible to park near Mt. Clinton road off the base road? looking to do Ike, seems this side is closer to Edmunds trailhead, thanks, Mike

Is it possible to park near Mt. Clinton road off the base road? looking to do Ike, seems this side is closer to Edmunds trailhead, thanks, Mike

That's what some have been doing. Not sure how many cars can fit there though.

That's what some have been doing. Not sure how many cars can fit there though.

Don't quote me on this but I think 5-6 cars could fit in that area. The edges have some widened areas of gravel I presume from plows turning around and such. Looking at the satellite image there appears to be a small area on Base Rd just before reaching the intersection that could probably fit another 1-2 cars too. I think you'll want to arrive early to secure a spot in that area.

You could park in the Ammo lot and ride a bicycle to the point where cars can park. If counting towards an AMC patch: Or, presumably, you could walk your bicycle all the way to the Edmand's Path and lock it up there... Just can't ride it on roads that are closed to cars.

Tim

Because the road is not in great shape, it's not a great bike ride, I've done it a couple of times. I believe it's longer or harder from Base Road to Edmunds as opposed to 302 to Edmunds.

If I parked in the Ammo lot, I'd probably ride to Edmunds and then come back over Monroe and down Ammo to the car and then pick up the bike. Would opt for the early morning road walk as the afternoon sun can be quite warm on the Clinton Road.

It's not a great bike ride, I've done it a couple of times. I believe it's longer or harder from Base Road to Edmunds as opposed to 302 to Edmunds.

I don't understand :p Perhaps your bicycle collection is not sufficient for the terrain involved. I suggest reading The Rules, and rule #12 in particular. :D :D And, if you find it hard, also rule #5.

Tim

Ill probably do IKE this summer, I always do. I'm going to park in the Crawford connector lot and walk from there. It is longer, but not by much and that lot is better for parking and has plenty of spots. Ill just loop over to Pierce and come out at my car.

Clinton Road

Do we anticipate the road being closed for some time? If so, how long is walk from Base Road to trailhead? Thanks

It is 2.1 mile from 302 side, 1.2 from base road. I went from 302 side and came back down over Pierce, not a bad day. The road seemed the same to me, others have reported a sinkhole, I did not notice on my walk? Perhaps it is near the base road? Anyways, I have seen reports that it may not be re-opened, nothing official.

I have done the loop up Edmunds to Eisenhower north to Monroe and down Ammo a couple of times. I usually walk back to the car. Nice place for a bike at the Ammo lot.

Still closed at both ends as of Thursday, August 16. Jersey barriers at both ends; don’t know why there is a barrier at the Crawford Path end, with the gate open. Maybe they were afraid someone would try to bash his way through.

Anyway, there is a big washout or sinkhole toward the Base Station Road end.

Also, the road is closed to cars, so for peakbagging purposes, it is closed to bicycles, too.