Mt Cabot Trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
I am aware of the dispute stemming from years ago with the landowner and the AMC regarding the Mt Cabot Trail.
What is the current status of this? Is there a legit way to ascend the mountain on the Mt Cabot trail from the Lancaster side? or do you have to go all the way around to the York Pond side? The Lancaster side is a lot closer for me. Thanks a lot!

I am aware of the dispute stemming from years ago with the landowner and the AMC regarding the Mt Cabot Trail.
What is the current status of this? Is there a legit way to ascend the mountain on the Mt Cabot trail from the Lancaster side? or do you have to go all the way around to the York Pond side? The Lancaster side is a lot closer for me. Thanks a lot!
It is considered closed and it's not advised that people use it. At least that's the last word I heard on it.

It is signed as "not maintained" at the upper junction with the Kilkenny Ridge Trail. The York Pond trail that used to branch off this trail also was closed at its junction with the Kilkenny Ridge trail and is (or was) signed "not maintained "west of the junction. Both trail sections have been closed for many years due to a landowner dispute. If you talk to the neighbor's, they will gladly give you their opinion on the validity of the owners claim. A VFTT member has established by reviewing the deeds that there appears to be a legal right to access national forest property from the former route but no interest on the part of the WMNF or AMC to reestablish it.

Officially I think the WMNF prefers to maintain the three trailheads at York Pond for access to this area. Granted it makes the trailhead more remote for folks heading from the south and west, but at least RT 110 through Berlin has been substantially relocated and improved, prior to that major project a typical hiker only had about a 1/3rd chance of following RT 110 through Berlin (this was pre GPS and car navs).

Dependent on where you are heading from in VT, the north trailhead for the Mill Brook trail off of RT 110 is bit shorter of a drive but ruins the potential for a loop.

My guess is the York Pond area will be popular on April 8th as Rogers Ledge is just inside the path of totality (Mt Cabot is not).

I've been in a similar situation before. As far as I know, accessing Mt. Cabot from the Lancaster side can still be a bit of a challenge due to the whole landowner-AMC thing. When I was planning my hike, I ended up going the longer route from the York Pond side just to be safe. It's a bit of a trek, but totally worth it once you're up there.