Mt. Bemis-Lite (03-Dec-2008)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
It was another one of those days when I had a compressed time-window for hiking. So, I was looking for something relatively short and different to do. Eventually I decided to hike up to the shoulder of Mt. Bemis which clocks in at about 3,000 ft elevation. It’s a reasonably quick ‘n easy hike via the Nancy Pond Trail and the abandoned trail that leads to the former fire tower site on Mt. Bemis.

I want to emphasize that I didn’t go all the way to Mt. Bemis, and that’s why this report is entitled “Mt. Bemis-Lite”. I only went to the spot at the crest of the ridge where there’s the huge mish-mash of blowdowns that you need to negotiate if you want to continue on up to the summit of Mt. Bemis. Today, I simply didn’t have time to mess around with “blow-down city”. (However, it would have been nice to have visited Bemis in winter since I’ve only done it in the summer months.)

Upon starting out on the Nancy Pond Trail, it appeared that a group of folks had recently broken out the trail with snowshoes. Not wanting to mess up the trail with postholes, I put on my snowshoes. Not only was this a good thing in terms of keeping the trail posthole-free, but as it turns out, this group of hikers ended their journey about 30 minutes from the trailhead!! So, I needed my snowshoes anyway to break-trail for the rest of my journey. However, it really wasn’t too difficult breaking trail since the snowpack was pretty firm and crusty (I guess due to recent rain & re-freezing?).

Just as a word of caution (as of the date of this report), once you cross Nancy Brook at 1.6 miles, my snowshoe tracks lead up toward Mt. Bemis. The regular Nancy Pond Trail that heads west toward Nancy Cascades (and beyond) is unbroken.

Anyway, to get to the point of this report, it was a beautiful day to be out in the Whites. By working my way around to various viewpoints along the old trail to Mt. Bemis, I was able to get a few nice views. Below are some photos showing a sampling of what I saw today.

The most spectacular view of the day was the vista that you get from the crest of the ridge that comes off Mt. Bemis. The photo below is looking northward up the Crawford Notch toward Mt. Willey, Mt. Willard, and Mt. Webster.
CrawfordNotch.JPG

From this same spot, there is also a view of the southern Presidentials and Mt. Washington. Below is a photo that highlights “Big George”.
Washington.JPG

From another viewpoint along the way, there’s a nice peek at Stairs Mountain, as shown below.
StairsMtn.JPG

From yet another viewpoint is a view looking down Route 302 toward the area of Bartlett Haystack & Mt. Tremont, as shown below.
BartlettHaystack_Tremont.JPG

And from the same viewpoint as above, there’s a view of Nancy Cascades (thin white line off in the distance), as seen in the photo below.
NancyCascade.JPG

1HappyHiker

I only went to the spot at the crest of the ridge where there’s the huge mish-mash of blowdowns that you need to negotiate if you want to continue on up to the summit of Mt. Bemis.

Ugh, you are bring back horribl horrible flashbacks of a scant couple months ago. Damn those views look great. I am now conflicted.... must... fight.... traumatic.... memories... and...will myself....back..... into going........ there...... again. :D

Brian

Ugh, you are bring back horribl horrible flashbacks of a scant couple months ago. Damn those views look great. I am now conflicted.... must... fight.... traumatic.... memories... and...will myself....back..... into going........ there...... again. :D

Brian
Brian, I’m certain your memory of your trip is more vivid than my memory of your trip, but I definitely recall your trip from hell up to Mt. Bemis back in October of this year!

Thanks for TR and pics! I've wondered about the view toward Mt. Washington from Mt. Bemis and Mt. Nancy. What would you suggest for such a viewpoint?

happy trails :)

Thanks for TR and pics! I've wondered about the view toward Mt. Washington from Mt. Bemis and Mt. Nancy. What would you suggest for such a viewpoint?
Patrick, other folks on this forum might well have a better answer to your question. However, here’s what I can tell you.

Views from Bemis Meadow:
Prior to the trek reported in this TR, I’ve been to Mt. Bemis on 2 other occasions. I know that once you manage to negotiate the massive field of huge blowdowns, you eventually arrive at a spot along the old trail which I think was formerly known as “Bemis Meadow”. From there you can get some rather unique views that are pretty much unobstructed. The views are particularly good to the north, east, and southeast. Below are a few photos taken from this location on previous trips.

Views toward Mt. Nancy:
You asked about views toward Mt. Nancy. Unfortunately, I don’t have any photos of Mt. Nancy taken from any location on the Mt. Bemis area. I think I can recall seeing the summit cone of Nancy from Bemis Meadow, but I’m not at all certain of that. I do know that you can see Nancy through the trees as you approach the summit cone of Mt. Bemis. I remember that vividly since I was contemplating a bushwhack from Bemis to Nancy, but the thick spruce between Bemis & Nancy quickly discouraged me from doing that!

Views from Spot before “Blow-Down City”:
You can get views of the southern Presidentials (including Mt. Washington) from the area where I visited on this most recent hike. That area is at about 3,000+ feet and is at the edge of “blow-down city” (you’ll recognize it once you see it!!). These views are partially obstructed by trees, but by working your way around to different spots, you can get some pretty decent photos as shown above in my TR (I’ve got some others which I can send by PM if you’re interested).

Views from Former Fire Tower Site:
The views from the former fire tower site (near the actual summit of Bemis) are not so great. Well, let’s put it this way. I missed them if there are any views from there that are better than what you get from Bemis Meadows.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Washington, etc from Bemis Meadow:
Mt.%20Washington.JPG

Southeasterly View from Bemis Meadow:
%21%20South%20Vu%20from%20BemisMeadows.JPG

Last edited:
Washington Pictures are Zoom shots?

Great TR John! I still haven't made it up to Mt Bemis as yet. Washington Pictures are Zoom shots? Bemis meadow offers an interesting vantage of Washington and Oakes Gulf, but in reality these are still zoom shots. You don't get such a close up of a view even from Isolation or Davis. I love Stairs Mt. Is your view of Stairs is zoomed also? Here is an un-zoomed shot of Stairs from ledges near summit of Mt Resolution. I want to re-visit Resolution and work north through the scrub beyond summit to find the view of Stairs from just across the col.

2443356120088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I like the view of Bartlett Haystack and Tremont. Bear Mt and Table Mt with Chocura far beyond show up nicely. Bartlett Haystack and Bear Mt are two of my BW objectives for the coming year.

Cheers!

Washington Pictures are Zoom shots? Bemis meadow offers an interesting vantage of Washington and Oakes Gulf, but in reality these are still zoom shots. You don't get such a close up of a view even from Isolation or Davis.
Obviously the Washington shots are zoomed . . . apologies for not specifying this . . . the intent was not to mislead folks . . . didn’t really give it much thought . . . guess subliminally I was merely attempting to depict the “photographic art” (if you will) opportunities that are available from this location versus a purely “naked-eye” view.

But you raise a good point. Most folks who are familiar with a particular location will immediately recognize a zoomed shot. However, for the benefit of those who are unfamiliar with a location, perhaps it might not hurt to specify when a shot is zoomed, so as not to mislead?!

Nice stuff!

Great pictures and TR. Haven't been to this one, probably will some day, now that I've seen your pics. (Zoomed or not!)

KDT