‘List’less hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
albee said:
What I don't understand is that if the 48 or 46 or whatever is such a celebrated goal in this community (and even, dare I say it, understood by non-hikers), and you are at, say, 40... what is the point of not doing the others?...

But if you were so close and never finished... wow. I'll give you credit because I personally can't stand getting so close and not putting the finishing touches on something. I need more closure than that, and I'm also curious to see all the places that so many of my peers have been to. You might say this makes me a follower, but I see it as paying homage to those that have come before me.

I'm probably in the category you describe in the first paragraph, but I'm completely, completely baffled at the "paying homage" bit. (And you COMPLETELY need a LOL smilie here!). Therefore, if anyone here is offended by the fact that I'm close but disinterested in doing the final ten or so, then please rest assured that I mean no offense. For me, it's just a meaningless list.

And yes, I'm completely anal about completing some things, too -- I can't put a magazine into the recycle bin until I've perused every page; I can't start a new needlework project until the last one is done; etc. But somehow completing a list of mountains just doesn't hold any meaning for me at all. None. And I can't explain it any more than that. (shrug).

albee said:
what is the point of not doing the others? Sorry to paraphrase, but the responses I have seen here are: because the other peaks aren't interesting or don't have views, because some don't know and don't care about which peaks are on the list, because there are bigger and better things to climb, and because it is a matter of distance and convenience... All of these are valid personal opinions and I certainly understand and respect them.

But if you were so close and never finished... wow. I'll give you credit because I personally can't stand getting so close and not putting the finishing touches on something. I need more closure than that, and I'm also curious to see all the places that so many of my peers have been to. You might say this makes me a follower, but I see it as paying homage to those that have come before me.
Look, I never finish books either. I just get to a certain point and stop, even if there is some unresolved issues. Sometimes I even think it's funny to get to the big payoff and then close the book. Sure, sometimes I finish 'em, but most of the time I reach some conclusion on my own and say screw it and move on. It's my time to spend and I'll spend it how I want. I think it's hilarious to have seen a movie but then skip the big ending.

The peaks that I have left on the NH48 are good ones: Isolation, Moriah etc. But you know what? I'll probably never go to Isolation to just say that "I was never there." Maybe I'll even walk right by it if I'm on Davis Path. It's the same reason why sometimes I don't sign in at canisters on summits: I simply find it humorous. And maybe I don't want to be part of the freakin' club!! Ever consider that? I certainly don't feel compelled to pay homage to someone (who?) by going to some dumb summit. Maybe I just have a strange sense of humor.

I went to Sapblatt's 48 and I was happy to be there to celebrate with him, in the rain, on Jackson. I wouldn't dream of taking away anything from what he accomplished or anyone else accomplishes. I was happy to be there and happy to take part in what he did. I just have some wacky reasons why I don't ever want to finish myself and for me it's mostly because I think it's funny.

There are 1200+ named summits in NH that are over 1000'. Maybe when I finish those, my last one will be Isolation. Nude and in winter.

-Dr. Wu

Ever notice how when someone posts the completion of a list (usually the NH48), someone usually asks "What's next?" It's just an observation, but one which I think is relevant to the discussion of list or non-list hiking.

I personally started out with Moosilauke with my mother-in-law's husband, because he was going anyway and I thought "What the heck?" He told me about the list, searching for the list brought me to this site. I started hiking it, met some people from the site, joined, ... so the list brought me to this site, and remains my background priority. However, I've come to appreciate the journey, and each peak, each on their own. I haven't turned down a peak (yet) because I've already done it, but I have turned down a peak I haven't done to go hike a non NH48 peak.

There are peaks I look forward to visiting again, and others which I probably won't do again, unless I'm doing a second round (say with the family, or winter.) Then again, most have at least 2 ways of getting there, and so there is some interest in doing them that other way - but no interest in redlining per-se.

As for viewless peaks, I find that when I know I am hiking a so-called viewless peak, I look around more on the way up/down, for glimpses, or for wooded scenery. Peaks with killer views are all about getting to the top to spend maximum time there.

I guess I could say I am unofficially working on the 52WAV at the same time--or at least I consult it when I want to take the kids.

Tim

Redlining

bikehikeskifish said:
but no interest in redlining per-se.

Getting back to the topic: how about redlining!?

It's funny -- for someone with no interest in "the list" I'd love to redline all the trails in the Whites! That would be pretty cool. I might like to do that someday.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:

It's funny -- for someone with no interest in "the list" I'd love to redline all the trails in the Whites! That would be pretty cool. I might like to do that someday.

-Dr. Wu

I do enjoy that a bit, but it is only an occasional thing I do - maybe 5-10 of my 30 + hikes a year are with redlining specifically in mind. I like the idea of seeing the different areas of the forest, or approaching a mountain from a different trail. Plus it is a great way to be sure you torture yourself occasionally by doing things like the Link, the Cornice and the Parapet that no person of sane (no redlining) mind would ever do! :D

dr_wu002 said:

-Dr. Wu

Is it scary that I sort of agree with you? :eek: It's the ONLY sort of goal/list-oriented hiking that holds any appeal for me.

sapblatt said:
Plus it is a great way to be sure you torture yourself occasionally by doing things like the Link, the Cornice and the Parapet that no person of sane (no redlining) mind would ever do! :D

Watch your mouth. I happen to be the person who likes the Link. :eek:

This is not exactly a new question/discussion on VFTT, but it has taken some interesting new twists and turns this time out.

I can’t add anything new. Will just repeat what I’ve said before, that lists inform but do not guide or rule or direct or exert control over my hiking.

What is useful to me about the lists is that they provide a convenient menu of possible hikes. Yes, I do check off peaks that have been climbed, and yes, it is satisfying to see the check-offs accumulate. But that is incidental, more like a diary notation than anything else. The check-offs provide a record of where I’ve been, but the rest of the list does not constitute a checklist for where I am going. Some favorite peaks have been climbed numerous times.

Now, trail redlining … About that I may be a bit more compulsive. My maps are redlined, and to some significant extent I try to follow new routes, maybe to old destinations, when I possibly can. Sometimes the redlined maps remind that it’s time to explore some new territory altogether. Still, like the lists I guess the redlining informs my hiking without ruling it.

To each, his own.

G.

Grumpy's post reminds me of another reason I climb certain peaks - there are certain trails, or more accurately - sections of trails - which I could do over and over again. A couple of quick examples are the Mt Kinsman and Ammo Trails. I don't particular care for the upper part of Mt Kinsman - between the last trail jct and the summit, nor the area around Lakes Hut - the stench of too many people in too little space is more that my comfort level - but the other parts of those trails, and the side excusions they provide depending upon my whims, are what draw me back to those mountains.

JJHikes said:
I'm completely, completely baffled at the "paying homage" bit. (And you COMPLETELY need a LOL smilie here!). Therefore, if anyone here is offended by the fact that I'm close but disinterested in doing the final ten or so, then please rest assured that I mean no offense.

That comment wasn't a joke. A lot of people that I respect and admire (such as friends, relatives, hiking pioneers, and wilderness advocates) have finished the 46 and/or 48. Hiking all these peaks for myself was my way of showing my respect and appreciation for their efforts. It was a rite of passage and a humbling experience, but I can respect those that have different goals than mine. The only reason I'm following this thread is to learn more about why other people hike, but it seems that the discussion has gotten away from the original topic.

I'm not really sure where the "offended" reference came from.

albee said:
One thing I find very interesting about this thread is the level of defensiveness from both sides. (Not everyone, mind you, but quite a few for both pro- and con-.) If the thread is about hiking without a list, why do people that like lists feel the need to post and defend themselves? That wasn't the question!

I was thinking the same thing. There are lots of threads about doing lists; this thread is about why you don't do lists.

albee said:
I'm not really sure where the "offended" reference came from.

I guess that when you posted this:

Albee said:
...I see it as paying homage to those that have come before me.

I read into it an implication that those who don't bother completing the list despite being close to finished are in some way refusing to or neglecting to pay homage to those who have done so, which could be offensive to some of them. That's all.

I've not encountered anyone before who ever considered finishing a list to be paying homage to someone who has, nor have I encountered any list-hikers who felt that others were honoring them (or not) by completing their lists. It's definitely Greek to me! :confused:

JJHikes said:
I've not encountered anyone before who ever considered finishing a list to be paying homage to someone who has, nor have I encountered any list-hikers who felt that others were honoring them (or not) by completing their lists. It's definitely Greek to me! :confused:

JJ - I agree - I have never heard that angle before (homage) - but I can understand what Albee is talking about...it is as good of a reason as any (lists, redlines, peakbagging, speed hiking, no reason at all, I love the forest, etc) to hike...the important thing in my mind is to enjoy what the outdoors brings to you/us however you chosse to enjoy it.

JJHikes said:
I've not encountered anyone before who ever considered finishing a list to be paying homage to someone who has, nor have I encountered any list-hikers who felt that others were honoring them (or not) by completing their lists.
Many people are inspired by and consider Bob Marshall to be a 'hero' of hiking, at least in NY. Certainly there are others...

When I was a newbie, I believed that Couch, Cliff, and the other < 4,000' peaks should be taken off the 46R list. But the longer I thought about it, the more I thought, "If they were good enough for Bob Marshall, they're good enough for me". Is that homage? I'll let you decide.

bikehikeskifish said:
Who's avoiding finishing the list for fear of a let down? Or a lack of motivation to keep hiking? Anyone? Anyone brave enough to admit it?

Tim
23/48
One could easily avoid the let down by moving on to another list. And just when you think the all the lists of close by mountains are complete then you can start working on other peoples lists. Then you could make a list of people you helped to finish their lists. :D

While it's nice to help people finish their lists, us focused people need to practice restraint of enthusiasm so we only help the willing and not the people who intentionally don't care.

One friend was so non-list focused that a number of us started to piece together the peaks she had done and the ones remaining to un-knowingly get her on hikes that would result in her finishing her list. It never worked out that way but she was very pleasantly amused when she learned of our conspiracy.

Stev-o said:
the best thing about 4ker's, is you get to see all those gem's you're missing out on. :)

Opposite works on 3k's : On Avalanche you have Algonquin and Colden, on Barren you have North Brother and cie plus Katahdin. Those views are the best I had. I went because they're on a list though. I'm glad I'm a list person.

John H Swanson said:
One friend was so non-list focused that a number of us started to piece together the peaks she had done and the ones remaining to un-knowingly get her on hikes that would result in her finishing her list. It never worked out that way but she was very pleasantly amused when she learned of our conspiracy.
I think I read or heard that this same scenario actually happened somewhere recently... ???