1/28/11 Flume Slide, Mt Flume, Mt Liberty

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tb69wemt

Reaction score
Kristin and I started at 3:40 am and finished 14 hours later. Both of us ended up being awake for about 40 hours straight and managed a 14 hour back country trip at the same time….note to self: get a good nights rest before heading to the mountains. :eek:

The Flume slide trail was packed out pretty well to the brook crossing with the Birch tree that has a Naturally formed chair growing from it.(Those who have been there know what I am talking about ;)) From there on a single faint trail existed with 3”-4” of fresh snow covering the tracks. At the base of the slide we found evidence of a lone track up the slide with several inches of very fluffy snow covering it. The slide itself was very tough going and not for the faint of heart.( Physically and mentally testing.) Several feet of light fluffy snow made finding footing difficult at best with several large ice bulges in sections. We used one Alpine axe and one smaller Technical ice tool each this combination worked well and is my recommendation if heading that way. We found it difficult to rest in spots as the snow, ice and slope wanted to dissolve under us :eek:(The footing tenuous at best). We really worked hard tunneling through the snow to get good footing and needing solid front pointing in many spots. Well worth the effort but exhausting. Once we topped out. We refueled and rested changed into dry gloves and hats. We found an identifiable trail to Mt. Flume(Osseo Trail Completely snowed over Zero Activity) The Ridge from the Junction to Flume summit was icy and covered in loose deep snow pack.(be careful !)
The trail across to Mt. Liberty was nicely packed out with just a few inches of light snow covering it. We had nice weather and great views. We where surprised to see the trail to Mt.Lafayette showing no signs of being used. Liberty spring was in fine shape and nicely packed out.

You need snow shoes, crampons, Ice Axe(s) along with all winter gear.

Photos Here: http://picasaweb.google.com/1047682...FlumeMtLiberty?authkey=Gv1sRgCIDYu_2wkv7Y1gE#

-Tom

Last edited: