1/4+4=1/3 Bonds Traverse with Kimberly Columbus Day Weekend 09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
Okay, so you see its that new mountain math! My daughter Kimberly had 12 4K summits complete and a Bonds traverse would put her 1/3 of the way through the NH48 4K list. Not that she is worrying about peakbagging lists but it is pretty sweet to get out with her to places she has never seen except for my pictures.

I have been looking for the best oppurtunity to share the Bonds with her since I pointed them out from Franconia Ridge in August. She had looked out over the Pemi in awe of the size but when I pointed to the cliffs she squinted and said "Okay" like not such a big deal. I have been so anxious for each weekend to bring fair weather and schedules that would coincide that I was crazier than normal. My first time out was with Sunshine Chris, my sis-in-law two years ago on Columbus Day Weekend. The foliage was in peak and the weather was mixed but perfect when we needed it. I crossed my fingers and toes for the repeat.

Kim's schedule gave us Saturday afternoon and Sunday to play and knowing I'm not capable of a one day traverse I asked her to head in with me Saturday night so we could get some elevation done and a bit of the mileage.
On the way in we had pleasing chats with Boo & MadHatter, as well as Nartreb. We had managed a 6pm start so Zeacliff was in the dark with a distant orange/red hue on the horizon under a dark starry sky. From the cliff she said it looks like a long ways down. When I asked why she said because it was so dark looking down it made her step back from the edge. The bog bridges were icy and treacherous and so was the ladder above the pond spur junction. We had planned to try for Guyot tentsite to camp but it was going to be cold and very windy crossing Guyot summit and Kim doesn't have the layers of a bruin like I do. By the time we found any place that was not damp deep moss in the woods flat and big enough for a tent we were already up in the wind. At one point I was sure I could see a light over at Zealand summit. I had brought a winter two-person and the night was very comfortable.

In the morning we woke to snow sprinkling on the tent. "Yeah!" Better than rain any day! After porridge we hit the trail and spent a day dominated by sunshine, wind and friendly familiar faces on the path. Each summit was shared with one or two other folks that helped with pictures and the clouds continued to rush away. By the time we were down to Bondcliff the fading light was presenting its picturesque beauty to us like no where else. The wind had remained strong and kept Kim from daring the precipice but I still didn't know better! About the only downer of the hike was when I let Kim know we were just over half way through the traverse. She said I should have told her before the hike about all the flat, boring trail we had to do. We kept each other great company and amused our selves with games like who had spiked the best leaf collage with our poles. Of course, she won! Thanks Kim for a sweet day!

Some pics from the path: http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/575112916iChBya

"Cool" report Dave. Waking up to a dusting of snow must have been an eye opener. :eek: Glad you made it safe and sound.
Petch

Nice traverse to get Kim on Dave!!:D

You are very fortunate to have your daughter along for these adventures!! I know you cherish them! :D

Looks like the winds were a lot less than the last time we met up on Bonds...You rescued me from having to crawl across the cliff..and I remember you being put on your butt from a gust! :eek:

I told Kim all about our adventures Darlene, and last night I showed her the video of you two pinned down. Now that I'm on facebook if you still have the pic of me looking like a flipped turtle send it to me. Once Kim starts building up more strength I will have a hard time keeping up. She made a comment that none of the prior hikes had given her any muscle cramps and asked if this one would. Monday I received a one word text message, "pain!" so I guess it was a successful mission!;)