10/6/07 - Skimom finishes her NEHH on Camel's Hump

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ch08.jpg

The day started, as all good days do, with the Red Sox beating Anaheim Angels of East Van Nuys on a walk off homer by Manny being Manny. Granted, that was at 12:30 AM and I needed to get some sleep before the drive north, but technically it was the same day. I was told by a usually reputable source that the hike was going to start at 11:30 AM so I arrived at the trailhead at 11:25, finding cars with VfTT stickers but no VfTT'ers. I parked somewhat in the bushes, packed quickly, avoided the arriving ambulance, and started up the trail in search of Skimom et al.

I found them at the first trail junction, after passing the fellow the ambulance was there for. I actually didn't even notice him looking bad, but when the group came through 5 minutes earlier he wasn't a pretty sight. The group consisted of Skimom, Skikid_Sean, Skikid_Emily, Funky Freddy, Gail, and Harry K. Our little band continued up, through occasional sprinkles and hoards of hikers who insisted on passing us en masse, then stopping in the middle of the trail. It was wet and a little chilly, perfect for finishing up a list. :)

It's not a huge hike, so we made it to the top in pretty good time, by around 1:45. Skimom got lei'd, had some Scotch, and received a 100 highest patch before she technically completed the list. We got some more rain, which scared off much of the crowds, and one big thunderclap which made us nervous but didn't yet drive us off. We quickly did the champagne celebration thinking we were about the leave but the rain held off. But then, who should arrive but Mats, 7summits and Gillian, who came from the Long Trail to the north at a blistering pace. Mats brought his now customary mini-keg of Heineken which we had to tap on the spot. Foam is good.

Then the rain and thunder really came, so we packed up and headed out. Then more rain came. Did I mention rain? We were fine as long as we were moving so on we went. At the Alpine Trail junction several folks (Freddy, Gail, 7summits, and ?) went up to see the plane crash. While we paused (and drank beer) Arm and Steve-O arrived having looped over the summit from the south. Arm presented Dani with a nice certificate to commemorate the day. Then we had the slog out. The plane crash group caught up with us because we kept stopping to drink beer. We got out, a soggy, pathetic bunch of happy hikers drove around to pick up cars and headed to the campground for showers and illegally parking cars.

We had dinner in Waterbury, played some pool (Arm and I kicked butt), had a few beers, and then most of us seemed to sleep in our cars.

All in all, a fine time. I think Dani's eying the 3000'ers list.

Pictures are here: http://www.hikethewhites.com/gallery/v/camelshump2/

Dani sorry we couldn't be there...but we were thinking about you.

Congrats on the great finish!!!!

Congrats Dani, it is a nice summit! And interestingly enough, one of the 5 VT 4000rs without a ski resort to it's name, which interestingly enough, is coming from a person known as "Skimom". The irony of the name finishing on one of the peaks in VT that doesn't have a ski slope on it is very curious. :)

Jay

David Metsky said:
played some pool (Arm and I kicked butt),

They even cut the evening short for some locals who were playing with their own cues carried in fancy shoulder bags. Well, Arm and Dave were using their own trekking poles to play with I think.......

Congrats to Skimom and to the 'Skikids'...they are adding to their list. It was a pleasure to meet them on Moosilauke a few weeks back.

Excellent - congratulations!!!

I hope someone gives you a 67 patch to go along with that 100.
:D

Congratulations Dani!

I thought I made this trip. Dave's pic.#35, shows I was only there in spirit.
Well, at least the headless ghost of Stev-o showed up for a game of pool and a couple brews! :) Might have something to do with that wall of Death in the background. :eek:

Reactions: arm
Despite the rain, thunder and occassional pelt of hail, it was a glorious day!

Thanks all who made it to the summit to celebrate and to those two (you know who you are) who missed the summit festivities somehow :rolleyes:

I have to give a special thanks to Sean and Emily who were troopers and hiked down in the driving rain, on a river of a trail, with no complaints, but just smiles and laughs. They are the best!

Also, I have to say thanks to everyone for all the gifts and well-wishes. I did get a 67 patch at the top from a canadian gentleman who also gave me the hangover that I hiked with all day :eek:

arm presented the 100 patch when he and stev-o caught up to us while on a beer break on the way down from the summit.

It was a wonderful day with really great friends. I had some surprise guests come that really made the hike. Thanks Gail, Fred and whoever that other Canadian was? I don't remember his name, but he was a fun guy, eh? It was awesome to have you guys there!

So all in all, we got poured upon, there was lightning/thunder (loud thunder), water, water, water, and great company, gifts, laughter, champagne, beer, whiskey and more laughs.

Thanks to everyone that was there and also to those who I have hiked with in the past that contributed to this goal or who gave me support and/or info on peaks so that I could hike safely.

:D

Darn...

after reading this title I imagined I might see a really cool pic with Dani looking like Lawrence of Arabia as riding up the auto road on her dromedary (hey - don't blame me I'm just a flatlander). congrats anyway... :p

Gris said:
after reading this title I imagined I might see a really cool pic with Dani looking like Lawrence of Arabia as riding up the auto road on her dromedary (hey - don't blame me I'm just a flatlander). congrats anyway... :p

instead of riding a dromedary, can I be hoisted to the top on one of those fancy canopy beds with the scarves and pillows being carried by four really good looking men with large muscles ?

Congrats again Dani, that was a lot of fun. I was really impressed by Emily and Sean, great kids.

David Metsky said:
... Mats, 7summits and Gillian, who came from the Long Trail to the north at a blistering pace...
Gillian said:
Huiyeng, can you slow down for god's sake! ;)
Yes they were... I was coughing a trail of blood trying to keep up with them.

Here are my pics from the hike. Great fun!!

Last edited:
skimom said:
instead of riding a dromedary, can I be hoisted to the top on one of those fancy canopy beds with the scarves and pillows being carried by four really good looking men with large muscles ?

Only 4? Don't you remember there are 7 guys in the band? :D :rolleyes:

Congratulations on a great finish of a great couple of lists, Dani! I remember your #48 finish--seems to me there was a little more snow in the woods that day.

I would have been at Camel's Hump to join you, but I was afraid you might Breakdown on the summit. ;)

Jay H said:
Congrats Dani, it is a nice summit! And interestingly enough, one of the 5 VT 4000rs without a ski resort to it's name, which interestingly enough, is coming from a person known as "Skimom". The irony of the name finishing on one of the peaks in VT that doesn't have a ski slope on it is very curious. :)

Jay

Congrats Skimom...no Irony at all Jay...you don't have to have a slope to ski the Hump!

???

skimom said:

And you'll be giving VOTTL, of course...? :eek: