11-22-09 Experiencing the Sandwich Range for the first time

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurous

Reaction score
The crew: Jen (Nif) and Frank (Dr. Wu)
The Plan: Drakes Brook Trail to Jennings Peak and Sandwich Dome return via Algonquin Trail

How the plan came about: We decided to finalize our plans for hiking the Osceola’s over breakfast. It was a gorgeous Sunday morning and we wanted to hike something with views. After looking at the map a bit more, we noticed a bunch of stars in the Sandwich Range so we completely changed our plan. Neither of us had hiked over there before so we decided to give it a go. Returning via the Algonquin Trail would depend on whether or not we could get my car up Sandwich Notch Road. We went out to our cars and Frank sees us and pulls over to see what we’re up to. He decides to join us, which is a good thing because we ended up needing his car – unless you hate your low clearance vehicle, don’t take it up Sandwich Notch Road!!!!

The climb up Drakes Brook is scenic without too much mud to speak of. Once the trail leaves the brook, it switchbacks up to the ridge. I realized very quickly that I’m out of hiking shape because of my lack of motivation lately. I huffed and puffed trying to keep up with them but it just wasn’t happening. We soon reached the spur trail to Jennings Peak. It’s a short, steep, rocky climb to the top but the views are awesome. We could see the ridge that we would soon be crossing to get to Sandwich Dome.

We crossed the ridge and were soon headed up to Sandwich Dome. It’s a moderate climb but once again, I struggled to keep up. I arrived a few minutes behind them to find views of a significant number of the 48. We enjoyed the views and our leftover pizza from the night before.

Next it was off to the Algonquin Trail. You follow the ridge over to Black and are rewarded with about a half dozen open areas with fabulous views along the way. It was really just one great view after the next – this section was the best part of the hike. It doesn’t appear that the Algonquin Trail is used very often – we only saw one set of footsteps along the way. The trail off the ridge is very steep and rocky…but lots of fun. Once off the ridge, it’s an easy hike back to Sandwich Notch Road…with the exception of the obstacles hidden beneath the deep leaves.

It was another fun random day out with friends.

Here's a link to my pictures from the day:

http://adventurous-.smugmug.com/Hik...ndwich-Dome-11/10432128_RDGSV#723238743_6ewAG

Last edited:
The Sandwich Range has some wonderful hiking, Jennings Peak in particular, and relative to the trails further north, the Sandwich Range trails receive very light traffic.

It's a great place to go to avoid crowds, etc.

Glad you had a chance to experience them.

Another option would be to take the Smarts Brook trail to Jennings Peak and then out Algonquin. The Smarts Brook Trail was recently maintained and is a lovely hike up to the ridge. Besides, it is a shorter car spot. My house is nearby and I plan to walk to Smarts Brook and then out via the Sandwich Notch road and back to the house in the not too distant future.

good stuff. i've just been up and down sandwich dome.. haven't explored around there at all. plan to do that soon.

Nice TR Kim. Glad you got in another nice hike last weekend. Nice pics and trail. Did Noon, and Jennings Peak, then Sandwich Dome 2nd week of November last year. Its a bit steep up over Noon Peak, not as forgiving as Drake. Like to go further next time like you did!;)