13 Maine 4k'ers: 8/30 - 9/03

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrisjrf

Reaction score
Day 1: Saddleback, Saddleback Horn, Abraham
Day 2: Spaulding, Sugarloaf, South Crocker, Redington, Crocker
Day 3: The Bigelows - Avery Peak, West Peak, The Horns
Day 4: Katahdin - Baxter Peak, Hamlin Peak
Day 5: Coe, South Brother, North Brother, Fort

First off, big props to my parents, who (yet again) took time out of their schedules and drove hundreds of miles to act as a sort of informal support team; helping with a car spot, feeding me, and just generally putting up with my insanity.

Got up to Rangely at midnight on Friday, 8/29. Parents had a room at the Rangely Inn ready for me. Got to bed too late, and got on the trail too early. Backpacked over Saddleback and her Horn in the clouds, and spent the rest of the day continuing north on the AT going over various bumps and depressions (the geographic kind). It was finally clearing up just before I got to the top of Abraham at about 4:30 PM.

Slept at Spaulding Mtn. Campsite, and was back on the trail by 4:30 AM on Sunday. Spaulding in the dark, and Sugarloaf just after sunrise. Bitter cold wind at 6AM, considering the warmth that was to come later in the day. Continued north on the AT, hopping off occasionally for the various spur trails to the summits. Redington was a little trickier than the rest, but as long as “hunter orange” is visible to you, not a big problem.

Parents had a room waiting for me at the Spillover when I got out (after moving my car from Rangely, north for me). Again, got to bed too late, and hit the trail too early. The Bigelows at 8AM were sunny, clear and beautiful…but also cold and windy. Took the Fire Warden’s Trail up, and the Horns Pond Trail down. Back to Route 27 before noon, and after lunch, began the drive to Baxter.

Stayed at the place that Jay recommended (forget the name right now) in Millinocket Monday night. This night (after 1.5 bottles of wine and a hot tub stint), I actually got to bed relatively early. I was first in line (out of two) at the gate at 4:30 AM. Roaring Brook Trailhead, up Helon Taylor, over Pamola, across the Knife Edge to Baxter, then onto Hamlin, and down Hamlin Ridge Trail. Socked in and windy from near the top of Pamola over to Baxter. Started clearing up after that, and the clouds moving out made for some awesome views.

Went back to the gate, found an open tent site at Katahdin Stream, and made the drive down there. After getting camp set up, finishing the last of my wine and beer, and talking to the Ranger chick for about 30 minutes, I was starting to get pretty bored…and it was still a long time until dark. Just then, my parents show up (they asked where I was, at the front gate) with more wine. Beautiful! They hung out until shortly after dark, and then headed back to Millinocket. I went to bed.

On the Marston Trail at 5:40 AM; counter-clockwise around the loop. Clear morning with awesome views. The Coe slide was beautiful, as were all the summits. Reached Fort around 11:00 AM. Looked around for the plane wreck for a little while, but knowing that I had a 10 hour drive ahead of me, didn’t push far enough into the thicks to actually find it. Oh well; a reason to go back.

On the road by 2PM, headed to the Adirondacks. Arrived in Keene Valley at midnight last night. Finishing my vacation right; with a little bushwhacking and slide climbing (if the rain holds off)…and with friends! God it was getting lonely out there on the trails by myself!

Jason

Rangely Pics
Bigelows Pics
Katahdin Pics
Coe (and Brothers and Fort) Pics (camera broke early in the day)

Last edited:
I'll repeat my ADKhighpeaks comment here:

You suck. :D

OH, and the sappy part about being glad to spend some time on the trail with you this weekend, and near Colden.. where we met for the first time.. awww... special. :rolleyes:

Congrats, Jason!!!!!

Sweet! So -- you are finished with the 115??
:D

Colden is an awesome way to round out any epic. :p

Silverfox said:
What...no time for Cranberry?

Quite a trip.. nice job

A righteous little peak, that 'Berry. Terra and I were up there in 2004 while backpacking from Oqqoussuc to Monson. Ah..memories........Jason, definately check it out -- and the White Wolf Inn -- next time you are in Stratton.

cC

[

Last edited:
Hey Now!

Way to go man! Great to get help from the folks, that was some kind of push.
Sounds like you experienced a variety of conditions in such a short time.

You probably walked right by me, MEB and Little Sister on Katahdin and didn't say a word! We were there the same day!

-Dr. Wu

Dude, lame. I might actually have respect for you if you hiked them all while playing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" on the fiddle. Kind of like this:
devil_fiddle.jpg

Just kidding. :p

That's one heck of a trip right there. Much kudos to you!

You certainly showed the Maine 4k's who's boss!!!

Hopefully the weather will hold out for your Colden hike this weekend.

Yowza! That's one heck of a schedule ... I would have needed a day off between the Bigelows and Baxter.

Congrats on the tagging, and I hope you've caught up on your sleep!!!

I gotta ask...how old are your knee's??!!! Also, you could make a killing marketing your "training" routine and diet!!! It's probably going to take me 5 seperate weeklong trips to get those babies! :eek:

ferrisjrf said:
Besides a vegetarian diet, and every weekend in the mountains, I'm probably not a model of healthy living.

Jason

From what I could tell this past weekend his diet consists mostly of liquid carbs.

Insanity?

And yes Kevin...I readily admit to my insanity. I find it's easier that way. Trying to hide it never works.

Actually, that was my wife asking that. She keeps forgetting to sign her initials. She asks me the same question on a daily basis. Sometimes several times in the same day. She comes from a large family of insane people who think they are perfectly normal, the true sign of insanity. It drives me insane.

I would actually be trying to do stuff like this if I thought I could. I wish I had caught the bug 30 years ago instead of 10, but I was still in the asylum.

KDT