1963 Elephant Mtn B-52 Crash (Greenville, ME)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damselfly

Reaction score
My husband and I went to Greenville, ME and the nearby Little Lyford Pond Camps, in part, to allow us time to explore the crash sites and debris field from the 1963 B-52 plane crash.

There are many good articles available, including one that includes an interview with one of the survivors, Lt. Col Dan Bulli. Reading up on the history and the background ahead of time helped to set the stage prior to our visit.

Background: In response to improvements in Soviet radar use during the Cold War, the B52 crew was tasked with attempting to use the plane to fly at a very low (undetectable) altitude. Regretfully, the vertical tail stabilizer was not able to handle the turbulence caused by this low altitude flying. The tail exploded off the airplane landing on the east side of Elephant Mountain, and ten seconds later, the plane crashed and exploded into the west side of the mountain. Seven men lost their lives and two men, who were able to eject, miraculously survived.

To reach the fuselage, memorial tablet and main debris field (northwest side of Elephant Mtn.):
-0.0 mi. - From Greenville, ME, drive 7 miles north
-7.0 mi. - Turn R onto Prong Pond Rd.; the road is dirt, but well graded and easily traveled
-Along this road, you will catch glimpses of the profile that gave Elephant Mtn. its name
IMG_2845.jpg
-A local snowmobile club has placed yellow signs at all junctions to mark the way (L at 10.7 mi. at "Y" junction; L at 12.5 mi., at major ATV intersection)
-14.2 mi. - After about 7 miles of driving, arrive at a parking area that holds about ten cars

The snowmobile club has spent considerable effort to protect the site, make it easily accessible, and honor those who lost their lives. Walking through a gate, a hardened gravel path takes you a very short walk up to the debris field. It is awe inspiring to see such a large area of wreckage… and think about the fate of the men who lost their lives.
DSC_0282.jpg

The following day, we set out from Little Lyford Pond Camps to visit the "tail section" of the B-52, which fell on the southeast side of the mountain.

To reach the tail section:
-0.0 mi. - From the driveway of Little Lyford Pond Camps
-Continue driving northwest as if you are trying to drive to Horseshoe Pond
-1.2 mi. - turn left (right is gated)
-The gravel road climbs
-1.8 mi. - turn right at fork
-2.7 mi. – park at a fork, near the campsites for Pearl Pond; the main road continues left to Horseshoe Pond; you need to begin walking on the “gated” road to the right, which heads up towards Baker Pond
-2.9 mi. - after walking a short distance, turn left onto an overgrown and grassy logging road; it is marked with a small cairn
-Walk for about a half-mile further, following a distinctive herd path.
-After about a half mile, you will come to a small opening (20’x20’-ish), and will see another small rock cairn on your left and distinctive herd path that will take you a few hundred yards uphill to the tail section
IMG_2867.jpg

Photo Link: https://flic.kr/s/aHskgv6MPN

Thank you to Roger S. and tomcat32 for helping me with some intel and planning.

Beth Z.

I've been there four times from the Moosehead Lake side (after the first, I brought friends back) over the last 15 years or so. Seems everytime I go there the last stretch of gravel road has changed. Even the trailhead has changed. The snowmobile club has done a great job with this memorial ... somehow I suspect they were instrumental in exerting some sense of guilt to souvenir seekers and several pieces have been returned and placed along the path approaching the major debris field. I'm impressed by the condition of some of the parts.

In 1963 that would have been a "D" model B-52, with the extremely large pointy vertical stabilizer. Later "G" and "H" models had much shortened vertical stabilizers, and regularly trained with the ever technologically increasingly capable very low altitude terrain following radar. My older brother was one of those B-52 pilots testing that early low level radar system. Thankfully he survived those flights. Several years later I flew KC-135 air refueling aircraft, and "passed gas" to hundreds of B-52s and other aircraft. Retired now, but look back with fond remembrance to those hey days of SAC and the cat and mouse game of besting the Soviets.