2.1 earthquake epictr in Etown!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
Yesterday as I was getting ready to go out for a run, there was a HUGE explosion! As I felt the foundation shake, I thought that there wouldn't be anything left if I looked out the window. Surprisingly all seemed fine?!

I'm wondering if any rock let loose?!!!:D

Inge,

Are you sure it wasn't something you ate (or smoked)? :eek: :D

It was only a 2.1; it should have been barely detectable... :)

Tom

Inge,

Are you sure it wasn't something you ate (or smoked)? :eek: :D

It was only a 2.1; it should have been barely detectable... :)

Tom

Tom - were you ever over an epicenter b/f? It was amazing! All the neighbors came a runnin'.......and some of them don't run. :eek:

Well, it sounds exciting! I hope the E-town reservoir doesn't spring a leak again...are you on E-town water, or do you have a well? (If it's a well, you might want to get the water retested after an event like that; but you know that stuff a lot better than I do!)

Last edited:
we have an artian well - never thought about testing it! what would you test for? radon? do you have a well?

I'd retest for everything, standard water tests you would do to commission a new well. You never know if a seismic event might open new cracks, change the aquifer the water runs through, etc.

We have a well up in Keene. We brought a sample to a water testing outfit when the well was new in 2004, before we drank any of the water. It tested out great: no germs, few minerals, only slightly hard. And it tastes great. We use it straight from the well, unfiltered and untreated, and it's been fine. We haven't restested it, but it's 500' in solid anorthosite, so I doubt it changes much over time.

We're 7 miles away and 1100' higher than you, so I don't think the Etown earthquake would affect our well. But if you were right on top of the epicenter, and really felt a lot of shaking, it might be a good idea to test your water.

Tom

oh yeah, we did all those tests too and was thinking about a softener but only b/c i like really soft h2o - otherwise our water is great also!
since wells needed to be shoed into rock, i wasn't thinking we'd have a problem - i guess we'll have to see if mud comes out next time we are up there!:eek:

hope your knee is getting better!!