~2 day Maine Hike recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwind

Reaction score
Looking to get out for 2 full days of hiking. Could probably stretch that to 2.5 providing the trail head is not too far from Portland. I've already done the Grafton Loop trail a couple of times and a couple of loops in Evans notch. still haven't made my way up to the bigelows yet. I've spoke vaguely with a local about a point to point hike involving a car drop. Thanks!

Have you done Goose Eye? There's the straightforward loop, with more driving from Portland, and the adventurous loop, with less driving from Portland.

The straightforward loop involves going up to Success Pond Road and looping around the Notch Trail and... um... I think it is just called the Goose Eye Trail. Haven't looked at the map in a while. Camp at Fulling Mill shelter.

Send a PM if you want details on the adventurous loop, or look east on the topo map and use your imagination.

Lots of great point-to-point hikes in ME, especially along the AT. Some involve mountains, some are just great woods walks, with ponds and streams.

As for loops, Bigelow is a good one. You can go in on the Caribou Bog Road, camp and hike the Crockers and Redington or Sugarloaf, Abraham and Spaulding (or both). You can camp at Piazza Rock and go up and down Saddleback and the Horn.

You can also do the Mahoosuc Notch and Goose Eye trip, with not much of a road walk between trailheads.

Lotsa places in ME. Good ones.