2 NH4K finishers on the Head of the Owl, 03/12/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETCH

Reaction score
Peaks/Trails: Owlshead via Lincoln Woods, Black Pond, BlackPond wack, Lincoln Brook, Brutus wack
Date of Hike: March 12, 2011 (Saturday)
Trail Conditions: Lincoln Woods and most of Black Pond trail were bare bootable, spikes helpful. Snowshoes required for everything else. The Brutus wack was drifted over, but the depression in the snow could be seen for most of it. Everything is packed out now. The stream crossing of Lincoln Brook before the Brutus wack was running high with all the recent rain. Water over-ankle depth. Be careful. Gaitors and poles helpful.
Special Equipment: Light traction and snowshoes.
Cast of Characters: Kate, Diane, Keith, Todd, CrazyBob and Petch.

A few comments from the day:

- Congrats to Keith (KPMMBM), and Todd (we'll just call him Lightning Todd for now) for both finishing their NH4K's on Saturday.
- No rain all day! Just a little spitting snow. The temps stayed cold enough to keep the snow in pretty good shape except on the way back- the Lincoln Woods trail was a little spongy. If the sun would have stayed out, it would have been a post-holing escapade......
- Big thanks to the AMC crew for assisting us in the Lincoln Brook Crossing! On the return trip, Todd and CrazyBob added some logs to the crossing which helped a bunch.
- First time for any of us on the Brutus wack. It is very steep in the middle section with some switchbacks before the ridge. Televators were very helpful. The trail we followed swung us way to the South, then we had to traverse the whole ridge. A nice change from the slide none the less.
- Lots of snow and sled activity in the Black Pond area. Not sure if these tracks are other bushwacks going anywhere? Didn't see any other tracks connecting to the Lincoln Brook trail.
- I've only been on the Lincoln Woods trail 3 times. Each time it seems longer, straighter, and in general- just a moral killer at the end of the day.
- With the wacks, all of us had some degree of facial scratches from the branches. I also suffered a partial right bicep tear in a most ungracious fall on the descent from the ridge. Oh well, what doesn't kill you.....

A few pics:

"I think the turn is just around that corner". "Corner??, it's freakin' straight for miles!!"
SAM_1023.JPG

Bondcliff from BlackPond
SAM_1030.JPG

Lincoln Brook Trail
SAM_1043.JPG

Bruticus Bushwackicousisisis
SAM_1053.JPG

Televators up!
SAM_1055.JPG

A couple happy NH4K finishers!!! Todd and Keith
SAM_1063.JPG

Another great day in the out of doors!
Petch

Trip stats: 17 1/4 miles, 3200ft of gain, 9hrs 10min
GPS track: http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1536578

Slideshow from this trip^

Ascent List:http://peakbagger.com/climber/climblistc.aspx?cid=1767
All Hiking Pictures:http://picasaweb.google.com/mpetcher/

Excellent trip report Petch and I hope your bicep heals quickly. Congrats to Keith and Todd for finishing the NH48.:D:D

Congrats! - nice way to finish the 48.

Nice pics and report as always Petch - hope the bicep heals quick; it's not good to be down a gun!

Last edited:
thanks to you Petch & Crazy Bob, we've done a few 4ks together and it is always an adventure with you two! lets see, I made a quick calculation and only 510 peaks left for the Grid........

thanks Donna & Mike!

Congrats! - nice way to finish the 48.

Nice pics and report as always Petch - hope the bicep heals quick; it's not good to be down a gun!

Thx Scott. A partial tear, no surgery, arm is functional, but no weights for quite a while.......

thanks to you Petch & Crazy Bob, we've done a few 4ks together and it is always an adventure with you two! lets see, I made a quick calculation and only 510 peaks left for the Grid........

thanks Donna & Mike!

Keith-we have had some good hikes, look forward to more. But no grid talk. That's just madness!

Petch

48 finish

Congrats to the two finishers. Kieth, it must be a relief to get Owlshead out of the way. You couldn't have picked better tour guides. I'm sure it was very festive.