2 Night Backpacking Loop for this weekend??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Boy

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a good 3 day, 2 night backpacking loop for this weekend in the Whites or VT? I've been playing around with the maps, but am just not coming up with any inspirational ideas. No real agenda other than getting out, avoiding nasty river crossings, and having an appropriate place to camp and/or shelter each night. Thanks.

Grafton Loop Trail in ME, it is outside of the Whites but just barely. It is easily accessible, no significant water crossings, many tentsites and it fits your timing requirements.

Depends how loopy you need it to be... Start and end in the exact same spot, or is a road walk/bike drop ok?

I'd like to end within 1-2 miles of our start. My daughter needs to get back to NYC on Monday.

Cool, then I might suggest something a bit unique:

Day One: Hike up Sandwich Dome (Either Drakes Brook or Sandwich Mtn Trail), go down the Bennett Street Trail and turn left onto the Flat Mtn Pond trail. Stay at the shelter on Flat Mtn Pond.
Day Two: Continue Down Flat Mtn Pond and then turn left and go up the McCrillis Trail to the south summit of Mt. Whiteface (good lunch spot!) Then head over via the Kate Sleeper Trail towards South Tripyramid. Depending on your progress, you can head down the south slide and camp in the woods, or you can go across the Tri's and down the Scaur Ridge trail and camp off the trail near there.
Day Three: Walk out on either via Livermore Road all the way, or visit the Cascade or Boulder paths. A nice walk through town up to the Sandwich Dome trail head to wrap it up by later morning/early afternoon.

Keep in mind that many backcountry shelters/campsites will be busy on Memorial Day weekend. Plan to arrive early to claim a spot or you might be directed to the less desirable overflow spots away from the main site.

Thanks everyone. I didn't think we had time for the Grafton Loop, so we did TJsName's loop - Sandwich Dome, Flat Mt. Pond Shelter, Whiteface, the Sleepers, and almost to the top of South Tripyramid. (It started to rain, so we beat it down the slide shortly before getting to the summit.) We enjoyed getting off the beaten path a bit, a seeing some new things. Flat Mt. Pond is beautiful and a great place to camp. The climb up Whiteface on the McCrillis Trail was memorable and challenging in the rain.

Thanks everyone. I didn't think we had time for the Grafton Loop, so we did TJsName's loop - Sandwich Dome, Flat Mt. Pond Shelter, Whiteface, the Sleepers, and almost to the top of South Tripyramid. (It started to rain, so we beat it down the slide shortly before getting to the summit.) We enjoyed getting off the beaten path a bit, a seeing some new things. Flat Mt. Pond is beautiful and a great place to camp. The climb up Whiteface on the McCrillis Trail was memorable and challenging in the rain.

The weather could have been better this weekend. Glad you gave that loop a try. Where did you end up crashing the 2nd night? I am guessing between Sandwich Dome and the Tripyramid trail you had quite a bit of solitude - I would not be surprised if you had the shelter to yourselves!

Sounds like an enjoyable trip & without the crowds you would have seen in the Pemi or the busier notches.

We crashed on the Livermore Road on the second night. It started to rain a little bit on the way up South Tripyramid so we beat it down to get off the ledges before they got really wet. Plenty of solitude on the trails, but we saw people on the summits and at the shelter.