2005-11-19 Attempt of Mt. Osceola from Kancamagus highway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uphillklimber

Reaction score
This trip started out Thursday night. We loaded the truck up, and I took the car to work Friday. When I got home Friday, dinner was waiting, then we hit the road in 15 minutes from the time I got home. We got to Big Rock Campground in 2 hours and started to set up camp by headlight. We noticed the out house fumes nearby, so we changed campsites and set up.

It was some cold, it was to dip into the teens or below that night, but we wanted to see if we would be able camp in these temperatures comfortably. We started a fire, and in a fireplace caked with ice, it took some encouragement. When the fire started, we would roast on one side and freeze on the other, so standing and turning around were the order of the day, er... evening.

About 9 PM, we let the fire die out and we headed to bed, anticipating an early start up the mountain, with the trailhead only a few miles away. We were nice and cozy in our bags, but the moon was bright, so we pulled our hats over our eyes to darken things a bit. In the morning, Jeannette had not slept so well, this was her first time in these low temperatures. I got up, boiled water for coffee, hot chocolate and oatmeal. We broke camp, figuring that we would not stay another night. It was just too cold to enjoy sitting around the campfire.

From there we head up the road, looking for the Greely Pond trail. We see the Greely Pond cross country trail, and hesitate a bit, but I was fairly certain this was not the place. So we continue to where I thought it was and sure enough, we are at the right place. We see in the parking lot two people, and the one latching her backpack looks a lot like Amy (Yam). Sure enough, it is Yam We greet her and her hiking partner, Sean. Today would prove to be even more fun and we would make a new friend, too.

I let Suzy out of the back of the truck and we take pictures at the trailhead, and we head off. Suzy, who is almost 11 years old, is once again a puppy. Almost immediately, we come to what would prove to be the toughest stream crossing of the day. The rocks are a little far spaced and glazed over with ice. Amy and Jeannette, being diminutive of stature, have some difficulty with the crossing, but manage it with some coaxing from us. We wondered if our advice was any good.....

Soon we are at a trail junction, and can see a mountain right in front of us. It doesn’t look so bad, in fact, we are all excited to tackle this one Later, I notice that we hike right by this one, and I get a picture of it from a higher peak off to the side. There are icy spots here and there. Not really enough to keep the crampons on full time. Sean and Amy have crampons, Jeannette and I are using stabilicers. Amy just got her crampons and is anxious to use the new gear. While the crampons are way more aggressive than stabilicers, the stabilicers are adequate for today’s hike. Seems we put them on, take them off, put them on, take them off.... There are many blowdowns and the trail is repeatedly blocked. Most times, there is a way around, forged by those who have gone before us. Other times, we find a different way. After a while, we are way up there, and there is a real icy slide, and everything is covered with snow in this winter wonderland of fir trees. It is at this point that we turn back. Some of us are just too scared to fully trust ourselves or our gear to cross this icy slide, while others figure that we will live to hike another day.

Before going back, we eat a few snacks and chat. From there, going down some of the ice covered descents makes us glad we have crampons and stabilicers. They are worn more going down than going up. There is some slipping and sliding going down, with some bumps and bruises. I think on this trip, I actually have the champion bump I was walking under a blowdown, and having a brimmed hat, did not duck enough. I jammed my head into a broken branch, about an inch diameter on the tree. It didn’t move any. Being in construction, I buckled my knees immediately to save my neck from jamming, and laid on the ground over a small runoff ditch. I was fine, though my head was bleeding. I put my hand kerchief over my head to stem the bleeding and put my hat over it to hold it in place.

We continue on back to the trailhead, and make several stream crossings, all the while talking about pizza and french fries. So we head into Lincoln for Pizza at Elvios and french fries and chat a bit. After chowing down, we say our good byes and head home, while Sean and Amy head back to the Hancock campsite.

Uphillclimber,

I don't blame you in the least bit for turning back. That slide can be very nasty...even on Memorial Day. East Osceola was my fourh mountain of the year and I did it when I had only hiked Hale, Tecumseh and Cannon. It started to rain and the only thing that kept me from turning back was that I was too fearful of returning the same way I came.

Ignorant and innocent to hiking in the Whites as a newcomer, I felt this trail was an incredible test at the time. It reminded me of an Indiana Jones movie where once you get through one obstacle, another looms in front of you.

On that slide, poor Atticus looked down on me on his sturdy four little legs and if he could have spoken would have said, "Pathetic!" as he saw me hugging a tree off to the side, arms and legs shaking.

I moved up the mountain and told myself that when I got to Mt. Osceola I would offer anyone there as much money as they wanted to return me to the trailhead on the Kanc but when I got there the hikers I encountered didn't seem all that friendly so instead of asking them for a lift I chose certain death instead. I slipped and fell some on the way down but learned a great deal. In the end East Osceola was a great confidence builder for me.

As I contemplate the routes I will take in winter hiking this year, East Osceola actually has me more frightened than the Presidentials. (Which says more about me than it should.)

Thanks for the trip report. After my experience last spring, I could follow your trip along well with a bit of imagination. Thanks for taking me along for the ride with your report. When I do the Osceola's this winter I will not only have snowshoes, crampons and Stablicers when I attempt it, I will also make Atticus pull me up that slide. (At this point you can picture Max, the little dog the Grinch uses, to pull his sled. As I write this, Atticus is now hiding under the bed at the thought of pulling along someone who weighs 10 times more than him.) ;)

Thanks for a great TR, Uphillclimber. I'm happy that you could make the determination to turnaround rather than push it. I'm new to winter hiking and winter camping, and so it was with particular interest that I read of your experiences. I'm also a dog owner, and I like to have mine along on hikes and in camp. One of my concerns is whether or not I'd be able to bring Sugar along if I did an overnighter. Tell me, please, where did Suzy sleep the night you camped at Big Rock? Thanks!

i was so bummed to turn around, but being new to this ice/winter/in-between hiking is a new challenge to me (hopefully one i can conquer!). it was fun to test out my crampons, though, and i do think i'm gonna like using them!!

it was great running into uphill klimber and klutz, what a small world! :) always a treat to hike w/ them.

here's my limited amount of pics

Reactions: arm
Sugahjohn,
We made Suzy sleep in the tent til we couldn't take it anymore. She wanted to sleep outside, so, we let her! Commonly, she sleeps outside the tent. She likes to sleep under fir trees where the soft moss grows. On many a night, we have opened our tent to see her looking up at us, covered in snow. She is such a long haired dog, she is seldom cold. In her 10 1/2 years, I have seen her cold twice. Once as a puppy and once last year on a ski trip. She will want to come in the tent on real windy nights. She's a scary-d-cat.

If you hike with your dog, there are a few things to remember. Someone will ask the what if's: What if your dog gets injured? What if you meet a porcupine or skunk? What if? What if?????? The quick answer to that is to think back of all the kids in school you saw with broken limbs. Then think back about any dogs you ever saw in your life with a broken leg. Critter interactions; hopefully the dog is well enough trained to not interact with them, except on command, like keeping the squirrels away from the food bags. (We all know the dog will be unleashed on trail). Then there is barking and "greeting" other hikers. The barking has got to go. And physically restrain the dog. They don't know the dog is friendly. You'll know you have a good trail dog when fellow campers tell you they forgot you had a dog.

The dog belongs in the woods as much as you do. We're from the city, so is the dog. Blah, blah, blah..... I could go on. What is as important as Leave no trace is dog training if you take them on the trail.

Anyways, bring Sugar into the woods and teach them to enjoy it properly, same as you have learned to pack the right gear and learned trail etiquette. Perhaps we'll bump into you on the trail!

Great report. I am thinking of doing the oceolas next weekend. Ice was tricky on the Wildcats and Cannon this weekend as well.

That slide I imagine is nasty in these conditions in full winter while scary is not as bad when completely cover in snow & ice.

IMO you need crampons on that pitch, some higher & in the chimney between East & Osceola.