2006 backcountry goals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finish 100 highest peaks in VT (most have trails ! should be easy) and in NH (only 3 left now). Get on my sister and her boyfriend (& dog) to finish NH 48, they only have nine left. Do more backcountry camping...only went 4 times last year. Hit up the pemi loop in one day, and maybe the annual summer solstice presi traverse if the weather is nice again this year.
All pretty obtainable goals I think

NH hiking: The Moats and/or Baldfaces, more ponds in Steven Smith's book, Kearsage.
ME hiking: Spencer, Boarstone, Boardman.
Paddling: Cape Cod, Cape Ann (MA), Nashua River, Housatonic (Berkshires), Roach Ponds and Lazy Tom Stream (ME).

-work my tail off to score a few free Fridays, creating some three-day weekends of car-camping and day-hiking way north of the notches.

-photograph lots of wildflowers

-photograph bear cubs (should be more cubs than usual born this winter)

-Madison Gulf by Madison Gulf Trail

-overnight on a peak under the Perseid Meteor Shower

Happy Trails! :)

I don't set goals. I make plans.
:)

1. Finish the NH48. (What's the hurry? I've only been working on it for 20 years -three to go!)

Hmm, I think that's it.

Forestnome

Have you photoed the orchid on the Bike path at the top of Franconia Notch?

There are three different ones there. The only one I've ID'ed is the Large Purple Fringed.

sweeper said:
Forestnome

Have you photoed the orchid on the Bike path at the top of Franconia Notch?

There are three different ones there. The only one I've ID'ed is the Large Purple Fringed.

No, but thanks for the heads-up. I'll be hiking the Skookumchuck sometime this summer.

Happy Trails!

Finish up the peaks in Maine to complete the 115..then on to California for a trip up Whitney :) (Then back to the ADKs for some rock climbin'!)

So much to do...so little time!

While I'm waiting for winter;) here are my Spring/Summer/Fall goals;

1) Hood (May)
2) Shasta/Hood/Whitney/Boundary (July)
3) Complete 46ers (15 to go)
4) Great Range as a day hike
5) Devil's Path as a day hike
6) Complete Presi Traverse (JayH's Brain Tumor Society fundraiser)
7) Solo multi-day backpack
8) Catskills trail work
9) Camp at The Bluff, tag Jefferson via Six Husbands, over to Adams and down the Buttress. Next day Mt. Washington via Great Gulf return via Wamsutta :)
10) Find some way to get more time off work while increasing my income (any and all suggestions welcome!!!) :D :D

mine too!

forty8 said:
1. Finish the NH48. (What's the hurry? I've only been working on it for 20 years -three to go!)

Hmm, I think that's it.

Well said...I now have two to go. I did my first few in 1990 and didn't consciously realize I was doing the 48 until about 2001. Thus, I had to go back for the summits of Madison, Adams and Jefferson even though did an Appalachia to Crawford traverse in 1992. (Of course any trip for me is worth it - no regrets!)

forestnome said:
No, but thanks for the heads-up. I'll be hiking the Skookumchuck sometime this summer.

Happy Trails!

There's a Long Leafed White Orchid on that one, if you going the end of July 1st of Aug Time period.

jrbren said:
So why are you Sierra and not "Rocky" :confused: :D ?

I want to "log" (hike that is) 6K+ vertical feet per month through August. That is enough to make sure I get out there somewhere at least twice per month. Hopefully more, but that is my minimum goal. I am attempting Rainier again in late August, so obviously I would like to stand on the summit there too.
On returning from a climbing trip from the Sierra's back to Colorado, I got a dog and being fresh in my mind named her Sierra :D