2007 Ride For Research, The Brain Tumor Society

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teejay

Reaction score
The Beautiful Finger Lakes; Avatar: 4 Hrs. up, 4
As most of you know, every year Darren has asked for your support for The Brain Tumor Society (TBTS) and its annual "Ride For Research" in suburban Boston. This year, however, due to his impending move back to Hawaii, leg rehab and other factors, he won't be fielding a Team VFTT so I have offered to do it. The "Ride" will be on Sunday, May 20.

Last year I was able to ride with the team, although I had supported TBTS before. The ride proved to be a most positive experience. The effort and dedication of the volunteers in its organization, their commitment to the cause, the beautiful ride course itself and the abundant good food and beverage provided by generous local sponsors all contributed to making this a memorable event.

This year I'm asking for your support, as Darren has done in the past, of Team VFTT and TBTS in the "Ride for Research." You can join the team as a rider (10, 25 or 50 mi.), pledge one of the team riders or become a virtual rider. Or you can choose to support JayH on the hike he's planning for TBTS in the fall. It will all go to the same worthy cause. If you can't do anything, I understand. Just wish all your fellow bikers and hikers the best of luck.

If you do choose to join the team as a (real not virtual) rider, you will need to do some fund-raising yourself. I was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful support I received last year from many family, friends and other VFTTers. It's easy to blast out a quick email asking for them to support you and TBTS and their generosity will amaze you, I promise. If you do decide to join the team, ridership is limited to 2000 riders and it is filling up fast, so do it now.

Don't have a bike? I have an extra one just like the "Beast" I rode last year. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12716&page=1&highlight=ride

For information on TBTS, go to their website: http://www.tbts.org/

Ride information and registration: http://www.tbts.org/itemDetail.asp?categoryID=200&itemID=16308

My personal page: http://www.braintumorsociety.org/site/TR?px=1117864&pg=personal&fr_id=1131

If you'd rather not donate on-line (CC only), contributions may be sent directly to me (Tom Jenks, P. O. Box 114, Elbridge, NY 13060-0114). Make checks payable to "The Brain Tumor Society." I'll make sure it reaches them quickly so you will be acknowledged on my page. Don't forget to include any forms from your employer if it has a matching gift program.

In keeping with true VFTT tradition, I'll be having a huge pig roast post-ride, back at my house. Hope you can make it. (EDIT: Just kidding.)

teejay

Last edited:
I want to thank teejay for setting up the ride this year. I have been participating in the ride and organizing Team VFTT for many years now, but due to my leg, busy schedule of physical therapy, and preparing to move back to Hawaii in a few weeks, I am just unable to do it this year.

I wish teejay the best of luck and I also want to urge all of you to support him as well as you have supported me over the years. Most of you know how important the Brain Tumor Society's cause is to me. Please be as generous as you can, but also remember that no amount is too small to donate. There are enough people here that small amounts add up.

This site exists for you and it exists because of you. It is a nice little community that we have here. It has been said in the past that this site is "my baby". I run the site in my spare time, I spend cash out of my pocket on it, and I try to provide the site guidance so that it will grow and develop in a positive way. This is the one time of the year that I ask the site to give back. The site has always made me proud in the past. Please help make me proud of "my baby" once again.

Thanks,

- darren

waiting...

I'm waiting on the word from my boss, I may have to be in california again for the second half of May.

Thanks Teejay and I hope I'll be able to do it. I'm going to acupunture for my knees, so hopefully they will be better in time for the ride!

If I can't ride, I'll be sponsoring the VFTT team!

cheers!
carm

I was really hoping to be able to help out and participate in this great event again this year. Unfortunately I will be traveling during that time and will have to miss out on all the great food and great riding. I have already made a contribution to Teejay/ Team VFTT. Good luck to all and please support this great cause. Hope to see you all next year.

A worthy cause for sure. Check is in the mail.

Also a thanks for VFTT Darren.

If anyone is at all thinking about riding this year, there's not much time left to join the team as a rider. Only about 200 openings for riders are left. Last year the ride didn't fill up until the middle of May, this year it will be much sooner. There're lots of openings for volunteers, though. And there's no limit to the number of virtual riders.

teejay

I Just Registered...so Should You!!!!

I just registered for the bike ride. I should be in town, (i'm crossing my fingers)!!!!!

Out of 2,000 members, I really hope we can get more people to join the team, even if Darren isn't going to be there!!!!!!

Please sponsor us, and better yet, ride with us! Plus, I heard that donating to charity gives you good ju-ju. That is why Darren does it every year actually, he needs all the good luck he can get as i've never met anyone with worse luck than him!!!!

I'm sticking to the 10 miler as i've also had some knee problems (i'm even trying acupuncture of it). If the acupuncture actually works, maybe i'll try the 50!

Anybody who tries to use the "I don't have a bike excuse" is lame because I have an extra Specialized mtn bike that you can use. (I think I'll be using my road bike)!

ok...please join our team because we are going to HAVE SO MUCH FUN for a GOOD CAUSE!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

CHEERS!

-Carmel

I am in too,

Emily was hoping to ride the 10 miler this year but that is not to be so she will volunteer.

Amazing that there are only 200 slots open.

Carmel,

How can I donate so that it will be counted as being from Team VFTT. Will that happen if I go to the team webpage and click "general donation"?

Thanks

Donation

forestgnome,

I think that if you want to make a donation to the team, it has to be to one of the team riders. It looks like a "general donation" would go to TBTS but not be credited to the team. So, when you go to the team page, just select one of us, and make your donation there.

teejay

Just to add,
My wife and I both work for Phamraceutical companies. She did research on some projects that need federal funding because there was no venture capital. Getting federal funding requires jumping through alot of hoops and there is no guarantee that a researcher will get all of the funding that they need. Federal money is very tight. Causes like TBTS help to keep alot of research going when there may be no other funding available.

I have just registered as a virtual rider! I bike to work so I'll simply count that week as my virtual ride and it also happens to be National Bike to Work week too... I notice it doesn't ask for a team...

Jay