!2k to 13k CO peaks.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Me and my trusted companion Shay aka the Boy Wonder are going to CO for 2 weeks this summer. If anyone has any good tips on 12k to 13k peaks in the class 2 grade, feel free to share. I know and have spent most of my time on the 14ers, but I'm not looking to go that high with my dog. Rocky Mountain National Park unfortunately is out, no dogs allowed too hike there. The San Juan Range is also out.

As a former resident of CO, you know that it is a BIG state. Where are you planning to base camp? There are over 1000 12 and 13K peaks. I am slowly becoming familiar with the Front Range north of Denver because it is within "day trip" range. There are tons of hiking opportunity there.

As a former resident of CO, you know that it is a BIG state. Where are you planning to base camp? There are over 1000 12 and 13K peaks. I am slowly becoming familiar with the Front Range north of Denver because it is within "day trip" range. There are tons of hiking opportunity there.
It sure is, I do have a list, but if someone had a good suggestion I would listen. I'm starting in Colorado Springs, 2 nights there to acclimate and see how my dog does. Then we will hit Buena Vista and Leadville area. Our last base will be Frisco/ Breckenridge area. The trip itinerary is fluid and will be adjusted according to my dog's performance at altitude.

It sure is, I do have a list, but if someone had a good suggestion I would listen. I'm starting in Colorado Springs, 2 nights there to acclimate and see how my dog does. Then we will hit Buena Vista and Leadville area. Our last base will be Frisco/ Breckenridge area. The trip itinerary is fluid and will be adjusted according to my dog's performance at altitude.
I have experience with Leadville, but only with 14ers. Here is a great tool for investigating Colorado peaks. You can easily register to use the site (free). You may already be familiar with it, but the map tool is very cool.

https://www.14ers.com/

You can click on "Peaks" and then "Map" and select various combinations of 13 and 14K peaks

Last edited:
I lived about five years near Salida. The 14ers.com page has a 13ers section. Look at the Sawatch, Mosquito, and Ten Mile Ranges. Out of St Elmo you can hike CDT Collegiate West which is all alpine and runs over 12 k. Also Tin Cup Pass above there has Tincup Peak and Emma Burr and more if you continue along the Divide and are pretty straightforward. Fitzpatrick runs south of Tincup Pass at the divide but a little more route finding. Cottonwood Pass has some easier 13k with Turner Peak and Jones above Ptarmigan Lake.
There are easier 13ks from The top of Loveland Pass too.
Closer to Salida easy access to 12ers from Monarch Pass in either direction on the CDT.
I put my blog link hiking page here. Scroll down to Colorado. Tons of hikes that are in the area that I did in the Salida-Leadville area with lots of 13ers
http://www.tomcatsadventures.com/p/hiking.html?m=1

I lived about five years near Salida. The 14ers.com page has a 13ers section. Look at the Sawatch, Mosquito, and Ten Mile Ranges. Out of St Elmo you can hike CDT Collegiate West which is all alpine and runs over 12 k. Also Tin Cup Pass above there has Tincup Peak and Emma Burr and more if you continue along the Divide and are pretty straightforward. Fitzpatrick runs south of Tincup Pass at the divide but a little more route finding. Cottonwood Pass has some easier 13k with Turner Peak and Jones above Ptarmigan Lake.
There are easier 13ks from The top of Loveland Pass too.
Closer to Salida easy access to 12ers from Monarch Pass in either direction on the CDT.
I put my blog link hiking page here. Scroll down to Colorado. Tons of hikes that are in the area that I did in the Salida-Leadville area with lots of 13ers
http://www.tomcatsadventures.com/p/hiking.html?m=1
We have climbed a bunch of the same CO peaks, nice job getting Laplata in the winter. I'll look at Monarch Pass area, that's close to where we will be. Loveland Pass is on my list as is Cottonwood Pass as well. Thanks again, nice blog.