3/14/09: Baxter and Hamlin via Abol slide and a big congrats to Marc on WNE100 finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuiYeng

Reaction score
Arm put together this trip earlier this year and I had been long awaiting for the day to come. A group of 7 of us, Arm, Giggy, Laura, Jen, Marc, Kim and I stayed a night at the Terrace motel Friday night and had an early start from Abol bridge campground. we hit the trail around 6:40 AM. Jen and Arm on ski and the rest of us barebooted on the 4 mi (?) long road walk.

I usually dreaded long road walk but this time my mind was preoccupied by the rubbing discomfort on my heel. Not wanting to slow down and fall behind the group, I endured the "discomfort" until I absolutely couldn't stand any more. I stopped to tape a moleskin over the slightly red hotspot and continued my hike toward Abol campground.

The road walk ended at Abol Campground where we'd continue the hike to the base of the slide on Abol Trail. Although the trail was packed enough to be bare-booted, we all put on our showshoes. To me the the gradual ascent on the trail was good for my aching heel :confused:. Since once I pulled up the Televators on my MSR, the pressure was reduced from my heels and shifted to my toes. I was marching up the trail, enjoying the amazing day and views of Baxter peak peeking through the woods.

IMG_4971.JPG

1.5 hours or so of hiking on the wooded trail later, we reached the bottom of the slide with a grant view of the stunning Baxter peak against a clear blue skies. Marc, Kim and I stayed on our snowshoes, we all have MSR with Televator and they're such a great help to have hiking up the lower section of the slide. About 1/3 up the slide where the terrain seemed to get steeper, we decided to change into crampons while we still can find a flat area to do so, Marc continued on hiking up the slide with his snowshoes. Just about 100' below us, Jen and Laura turned back as they've decided earlier and would wait for us at Abol campground.

From here on the slide get steeper, and there're more exposed rocks to negotiate. A slip here most likely will land on a rock, there is no chance and no way for self-arrest. So we carefully climbed up and over several boulder fields, sinking our crampons onto mix terrain of rocks and snow. Doing all these with the company of some awesome views , warm sun, calm wind and clear blue skies.

IMG_5007.JPG'

We topped out the slide after about 1.5 hours hiking/climbing/scrambling on it. Giggy put 2 wands at the entrance of the slide so that we can easily spotted it from afar. The views from the Tableland was absoultely GORGEOUS!! To our left we've got views 4 distictive looking peaks: Coe, S. Brother, N. Brother and Fort, and straight ahead is our first goal of the day, Baxter peak!

The calm wind was very short live but the clear skies stayed, and the "discomfort" on my heel was back. During the slide climb, I was lifting my feet and place each step down flatly and carefully onto the slope hence reduced the rubbing, but the heel raising flat walk on the Tableland began to irritate my heels once again and by the time I stopped at the windy Tableland to fix them, the hotspot on my right heel already turned into a blister. After patching up my right heel with Compeed and Kim's duct tape, just when I was talking off my left boot to assess the left heel, a gust of wind blew my blister kit away. So I taped up the left heel with only duct tape and moved on. The famous Baxter summit sign and the humungous cairn where right ahead of us, they look so close yet so far away... When we finally reached the summit, we're rewarded by the absolutely super amazingly daunting looking Knife Edge. Simply spectacular!!

IMG_5070_pan_sm.jpg

At the summit of Baxter peak, I was contemplating the thought of turning back, just so that I wouldn't slow down the group, but after chatted with giggy, he noted that we're doing good on time, so I excitedly (at the same time painfully) decided to continue on.

The wind was feirce while we're hiking down into the col, on our way to Hamlin peak. We reached Hamlin peak and congratulated Marc on his winter New England 100 highest finish, took some pictures and videos to capture the gust and quickly bit fairwell to the summit and decended back to the col. We stopped for a quick lunch break just before we took the Baxter Peak Cutoff back to the top of the slide. The wands that giggy planted earlier was great to help finding the entrance. Another munch break later, we started the descent back to Abol Campground where we're greeted by a big smile on Jen's face and a big hug. Jen was so kind to offer to haul my pack out in her sled, and off she and Arm disappeared into the remaining day light. By the time I got back to the parking lot, I took off my boots and found (gross picture, viewer discretion is adviced) my socks were both soaked with blood on the heel...

Despite the bloody blisters, I had a great time and loving every moment of the hike. The marvelous views, clear blue skies (just a tad too windy) and great company, couldn't ask for a better maiden trip to this magnificent park! It worth every drop of the blood I sheded.

Oh, enough of me, a big congrats to Marc for his amazing accomplishment! Well done Marc!! What's next dude. Hope you got the chance to fix your window!

Thanks everyone for the your company and Arm for organized the trip! Here are my pictures from the hike. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice trip guys. Congrats to lord marc. We all know what's next right ? :rolleyes:

YUCKY, gross.. You need to put a warning on those socks... EEEEWWWWWWWW.. at least this is not smell-o-vision, smelly bloody socks. :rolleyes: Sounds to me like your boots are too big!

Nice pictures :)

Jay

Simply amazing pictures (especially that knife edge panorama - wow)... I've been putting off going to Baxter for a while now because I absolutely detest driving, but upon seeing how beautiful it is through your photos I'm very seriously reconsidering.

I hope your feet heal soon. Those blisters are crazy! What strength you have for persevering through that... :)

:eek:Awesome TR and pics!!

I can understand the bloody boot thing. I hiked up Adams/Madison on Sunday and ended up with a wicked cold from it (had been fighting it for 2 weeks!). Ok...a cold vs. wicked blisters? Maybe not quite the same. But...small price to pay for Sunday's hike! I'd do it again in a heart beat...

Wow, what a perfect day you had @ Baxter!! Great pics! Congratulations to all of you, however far you went, and also to Marc for finishing his NEHH. What a bummer about your blisters 7Summits. I hope you find some boots that will treat you better.

Baxter is definitely a long drive for most of us but I must say that even when I've gone in crappy weather, it's been well worth the effort. Thank you Percival!!!

It was an amazing trip. The Knife Edge is far more spectacular in the winter than it is in the summer. Not only did we have bluebird skies but we also had both summits to ourselves - we didn't see another person the entire day.

Congrats Marc on your finish - glad we could be there to celebrate.

HuiYeng - I am still amazed that you were able to push on with your feet the way they were. Hope you ended up throwing those socks away!!!

Thanks again Arm for organizing this trip!!!

Great hike guys. I'll be remembering this one for a while :D Finishing the list was completely overshadowed by the great views and good people. Felt like it didn't matter at all actually.. Still feels that way.

Yes I did fix my window. No more duct tape!

Whats next? Finish Vt3ks. only 4 left.

Last edited:
Great trip report, nasty sock photo, spectacular other photos. The views up there were amazing - someday I'll get back to Baxter in winter, but probably on skis. :)

-dave-

Thanks all for your kind words.

Hi Spencer, it was very nice to meet you too. Sunday looked like a gorgeous day too, we're thinking about you guys while driving home under the clear blue skies. Nothing I hate more than stuck in the car for a long drive when it was nice sunny out there. But then it's not like I can hike anything on Sunday, can't even wear my shoes :(.

Jay, I wore this boots on both of my Rainier trips, never had this problem though. Don't know, like Jason said I should just give up winter hiking.

GG, you could have done this slide with no problem, it really is not very steep.

LRiz, long drive indeed but it so worth it.

I'm lucky that the drive to ADK and Baxter is about the same for me, last summer I had the ADK fever, this summer you'll know where to find me!

Thanks folks.

Jay, I wore this boots on both of my Rainier trips, never had this problem though. Don't know, like Jason said I should just give up winter hiking.

These are winter boots with padding, I presume. Padding can shrink with break in, which may mean it will be "looser" with age. Different socks, liner socks, etc, can all affect how loose the boot is, I would try to wear liners or something in the boot and see if that helps.. Maybe try it on a shorter peak :p

I know I get really bad blisters on my right foot when XC skiing if I do not wear two socks, as my right foot is a 1/2 size smaller than my left so consistently I get heel rub with my Alpinas unless I wear two thick wool socks.

Jay

Nice trip and pics. I did the same route (mumble, mumble) years ago and the pics brought back some nice memories.

Knife Edge for next time? :)
(It only has one short technical section at the Notch.)

Doug

great report Hui Yeng - and nice pix!

great trip with the gang as it usually is.

LRiZ - baxter is the place to be in winter and the benefit far outweighs the drive, the paperwork, etc. I was the same, too long, too much paperwork hassle - then I stepped foot in there and all that was put to rest. Now its on my to do list every winter.

I would easily sacrifice the entire winter in NH for one trip to baxter.

- if you get the chance, check it out. A trip like this is great, but personally, I like the multi-day chimney pond trip, which really allows you to soak in the place and increase your options.

congrats to marc again - glad I was able to join for this great trip! Thanks to arm for dealing with the paperwork that the trip leader has to do!

nice report huiyeng and look forward to checking out those pics tonight! i just don't think i'll get the same effect on my cell phone. :) glad you guys had fun! congratz marc. knife edge next time!

Great Report! I've yet to get to Baxter during the winter but it is definitely on my list! The place is amazing in the summer, I can hardly wait to get back there even with the long drive!

Great TR & pics everyone!!:D

Boy I sure wish i was with you all on this one.....next year!!
Hopefully you won't mind doing it again with me.....????

Beautifull views and weather!!