3/25 or 3/26 Cliff or Allen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoc22

Reaction score
Looking for a hiking partner(s) for Friday or Sat to do Cliff or Allen (could be persuaded to do Marshall or try to get Redfield as well with Cliff). I would like to ski the approach if possible/conditions allow from Upper works. Day would depend on weather especially if rain is forcast. If anyone has plans to go this weekend or would like to go then let me know. Would also consider a hike in the Santanoni range but the most recent trip reports have been pretty grim. Cliff (winter route) and Allen have both been done in the last couple of weeks since the last significant snow. I'd appreciate if anyone with recent trail info would respond as well.

Thanks, Mike

Can't get out this weekend but can give an update on Cliff. EASY! The winter route was well packed on Sunday and very easy. Took 5hours 40min with about 40 minutes of that being breaks. Would be even faster with a ski into the Flowed Lands. Have fun.

Redfield - Santanoni - Allen - Cliff

Redfield is an easy and wonderful climb now, a path is broken all the way right into Uphill Brook and into the tributary making for a very fast climb with great views all along. Cliff is easy as well from Flowed Lands but we didn't enjoy the descent from Cliff to Uphill lean-to too much (on the 21st), very steep as usual but very icy with little snow on either side to land comfortably on. After our group of three not much snow is left on the herdpath and crampons may be needed unless you are a fearless butslidder.

Trail is broken from Time Square to Panther and Santanoni but I don't know about Couch.

Allen is broken as well from this past weekend.

Christine

Cliff on Saturday 3/26

Tentatively plan to do Cliff and possibly Redfield Saturday starting about 7AM from UW. Will have Sam, my 9yo son who has done 11 peaks so far including the Seward range. Planning on Winter route to Cliff and then considering return on same or to Uphill leanto and Redfield (odds less than 50% that Sam will have the energy to continue to Redfield). Would bring crampons if we plan to do hike down to leanto or very aggressive snowshoes from what I've been told by Christine.

Way to go Sam!

SkiDoc, if you can leave the trailhead a little later we could hike together. I'll try and put the plan together today. The only way we'll be able to take off for 7am is if we drive down the night before.

-Shayne