3 ft of snow on Colden Trail!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbinghaus

Reaction score
2005-10-29 ADK parking lot to Mt Colden and return

7:30 Started from lot with novice hiker Bill. Bill is a triatheloner but novice hiker.

8:50 at Avalanche Lake lean-to -- this matched my solo time in June 2004

10:10 at foot of Trap Dike -- probably took us 30 min to get from trail to here. We had intended to climb Colden this way. The snow we ran into from the trail was 2-3 feet deep. We hoped that maybe it was not so deep on the Dike. So we decided to climb -- without snowshoes.

After about an hour we had gotten up the first stairway and part up with the 2nd. Decided this was foolish. Turned around with the determination to climb Colden via the Lake Trail. (Goodwin #70 Yellow Marked)

11:45 found us at junction where trail to Mountain breaks off from trail along the east side of the lake. We were wearing snowshoes (had had since about half-way thru our aborted attempt at the dike).

We were following one set of footprints made by about 3 people. Indeed, we soon came across three very friendly and 20-something French Canadians -- two guys and a woman. We would leap frog them to the top. Unfortunately they were not wearing snowshoes.

They had been breaking trail, now we took over.

The snow on the way up was terribly deep and fluffy. The post-holers post-holded 3 ft on average. For the most part, even in the lead and breaking trail ourselves, we sunk 2-3 feet in the soft snow (MSR snowshoes without the tails). Towards the top the snow was harder and when we broke trail we only sank 18-24 inches. Following our hardy post-holers we tended to go the entire 3-4 feet!! Much hard work!!

15:45 Indeed -- took us 4 hrs to get from trail junction to top of Colden. This compares to my 1:05 when doing this solo in June 2004!! What an ordeal!!

We were rewarded by great views. It was a wonderful day to be on top of Colden. Crystal clear skies. Bright sun. Snow capped peaks. Wonderfully carved-snow-sculpted trees. Great and wonderful. If exhausting.

Unfortunately we were running low on supplies as apparently I had neglected to instruct my novice hiker friend that food and water were a must on the expected 7-hr walk (7-hr RT was what it took me in June 2004). You can imagine the difficulties at this point. It had taken us 8 hrs just to top Colden!

Ran out of water before Lake Arnold. Due to the kindness of a French Canadian couple camping by the lake, we refilled our bottle!! Thank you very much whoever you are!!

Sun set about now -- at trail junction we sat down -- ate some more of my food (fortunately I do bring enough for two), drank some water, and got out headlamps. Fortunately I carry two. A heavy duty one that packs 4 lithium AA batteries and a spare - one of those little guys that the rest of you like.

Sign said 1.5 mile to Avalanche Pass lean-to. Hah!!! We did feel better after rehydrating and eating. Our spirits had been a bit low (along with our level of hydration and blood glucose). We now felt perky.

Trail from here to Lean-To was packed by booters. About 2-ft of snow on each side of a narrow trail. Snowshoes were still useful though because of the narrowness of the postholder trail they were awkward. Took them off about 1/2 way down as trail became flatter (or less steep).

I also ran out of juice in my 4 AA headlamp!! I guess this is what I get for not putting in new batteries. I thought about that at some point -- the small guy that I lent Bill did okay for both -- was a bit tricky as we still were going downhill. Then I remembered the thumb-light I had attached to the keyring of my car keys. That thing was great. One bulb but it put out as much light as the headlamp I had lent Bill. Used this for the next 2.5 hrs.

After Avalanche Pass lean-to the trail became easier to negotiate in the dark. A bit icy in places, but because of the job the postholers had done, we never considered snowshoes. From the Dam to the parking lot we made reasonable time (I had stopped taking notes on time after the col below Colden).

Back to car at 21:45 -- over 14hrs to hike Colden. That must be some sort of record!!

Reactions: yam
Great report! It's definitely time to carry the snowshoes.
Nathalie and I carried backpacks up the Lake Arnold trail on Saturday and decided to turn back at the lake because of all the postholing. We were heading for the Feldspar leanto and we had only brought crampons.
Live and learn.

Great report . Guess its time to break out the MSR"S and the cold weather gear. Thanks

Wow! Great job! What an ordeal! The views from Colden must have been something else! In the future, after a big dump we should join forces. Allthough on this one if you had said you were doing the Trap Dyke I think I would have passed. :D

Neil said:
In the future, after a big dump we should join forces. Allthough on this one if you had said you were doing the Trap Dyke I think I would have passed. :D

If I had known how big the dump was I might have passed the entire adventure. At least I would not have brought a newbee along!! (Though he did have the right sort of ADK "persevering spirit".)

Nice report!! I would love to see some pictures. That was my last hike up there, and to see it in snow would be cool.

Bristol said:
Nice report!! I would love to see some pictures. .

I would too! Bet it was absolutely, awesome up there!
It's sounds even though you had quite the adventure, that you enjoyed it just the same. Sounds like you did most of the trail breaking?