3rd Annual VFTT Adirondack BBQ and Gathering August 18th thru August 21st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adk 100 finish

well we won't be finishing yet, but if all goes well this week, after cheney and north rist on wednesday, marshall on friday, then one of the sawtooth on sunday(either #2 or #3) we'll have 96 done.
which will leave sawtooth #5, # 2 or #3, and Panther and Buell(scheduled for Aug. 31) hopefully finish first weekend in september

Scrap it then, you're on your own :D

Since there's a chioce now, how bout we do Cutter (#2) then on Sunday, and get it out of the way. Not that it really matter I suppose.

See you Wednesday ;)

Last edited:
New job - new schedule. I have to work Sunday, so we're driving up Thursday night. We'll arrive sometime after midnight and will set up our big tent.

Jane and friend Annie will explore Elizabethtown on Friday, while I try to hook up with some folks on whatever hike they're doing that day. We will have to leave Saturday morning, as we're planning on a hike up Black Mountain (fire tower peak near Lake George), then it's back home to Buffalo. I HATE working on Sundays!

I'm reading the previous posts to see what's happening on Friday. So far, I think I see a hike up Marshall, and another in the MacIntyres. I was hoping for one of the ADK 100 Highest to check something off my list this weekend. I'm open to suggestions. Otherwise, I don't mind doing one of the 46 with a group. See ya!!! -Bob (not Al) "ALGonquin Bob"

Bob -
I'll arrive shortly after noon Friday, I think.
Probably pitch the tent, then squeeze in a climb, something uncomplicated...
Lyon would work...straightforward climb, big views (weather permitting) and on both the AdkHH and Northeast 2kp lists. Not far from Spence's, and an easy jog to Peru for restaurant food at Crickets at 7.

I'd welcome your company, but you may prefer an earlier start...
Any other Friday half-dayers interested in Lyon and its tower?

I hope to do something more substantial, maybe a HH whack on Saturday...
JT

AlG said:
we're driving up Thursday night. We'll arrive sometime after midnight and will set up our big tent.

Don't be waking me up - we'll be getting up plenty early as it is on Friday morning!

Saturday Hike roll-call?? Kayak Sunday??

I'll be arriving sometime on Friday... hopefully in time to dine with the group.

I'm seeing Saturday as a hike day - interested in other's plans. I'd really like to get in a bushwhack with some experienced 'whackers in a not-overly-challenging environment if possible. A HH is fine. Any 46 (but Marshall or Marcy) would consider. I'd like to go in and do Pinnacle, but Pinnacle/Gothics sounds like too long to get back for Sat pot-luck.

Mavs - are you doing Nippletop slide - Saturday? What's the time consideration?

Okay - now... Sunday. I'm planning on bringing my touring kayak . Anyone else? What's suggestions for a few hours paddle on Sunday (maybe after B-fast at Noonmark??

Wow I didn't know about this "event" until a few minutes ago... I think my 3 day backpacking trip just changed to a one day backpacking trip and 2 days of hiking and some beer drinking ;) . I can't pass up a chance to meet some more VFTT'ers.. especially when it's in my own backyard (NY). I'll have to take a look at my maps but I'd be up for a hike including Pyramid, Sawteeth, Basin, Saddleback, Haystack and possibly Armstrong and Upper Wolf Jaw if anyone's interested. It'd be a buttkicker but believe me the beer and food afterward would be well earned! :D Off the top of my head we could either:
A.) Post a car at JBL and start somewhere in St Huberts (I've never hiked in this area so I'm not sure what exact Trailhead to use) and end at the garden
B.) Start and end in the St Huberts area
Not sure what the exact mileage would be but it'd be around 25-26mi.

or...
post a car in the St Huberts or Roostercomb TH and start at the Garden, starting with Haystack, then doing Basin, Saddleback, Pyramid, and Sawteeth, down the "scenic" trail and out. Less mileage and gain but just as much fun.

Another option is to do the Great Range Traverse minus Marcy but include Pyramid and Sawteeth. Anyone up for an epic hike let me know!

Any derivation of this would also be an option as long as it hits Gothics, Basin, Saddleback, Sawteeth and Pyramid.

Last edited:
Ward and I will be arriving Thursday eve late (10ish). We plan on doing Allen and Marshall on Friday and Saturday. Doesn't matter which day for us. Let me know via P/M if you have an interest, or catch us up there. Hey Bubba, we'll also bring the yaks for a little paddle as well! Slamdog and Wardy

I hope there will be some people interested in doing some easier hikes. Most of the trips described so far are way to hard core for me! I guess I'm a wimp. I don't get to hike as much as I would like, so I am definitely not ready to tackle those 12-14 hour long, multi peak days!
Anyone out there wanting to do some of the tamer mountains?

I plan to be at the gathering this weekend. I can hike any day from Thurs. (8/18) to Wed. (8/25). Any one interested in Gothics/Pyramid, Couch, Seymour, Redfield or Cliff ? Diana

I think we should all wear name tags bearing both our screen and real names. You know, Hi!, I'm Lurkette (Diana). Or, Hi!, I'm HarryK (EH?)

I think we should all wear name tags that say "SherpaK", and then behave really, really poorly.
;)

Neil said:
I think we should all wear name tags bearing both our screen and real names. You know, Hi!, I'm Lurkette (Diana). Or, Hi!, I'm HarryK (EH?)

There is NO WAY I'm wearing a name tag. I'm going incognito, do you have any idea how much useless crap I've posted this past year.........................

I might be convinced to wear a SherpaK tag, but only because I'll want people to consider me a "stud mountaineer" that has recently knocked of one of the "big ones" out west ;)

And the group just keeps getting bigger. This is really cool. Sounds like I'll see a good size group on thursday. We did a larger group order of pizza and wings last year with the thursday night group. Sound like a plan??

OK reservations are set for Crickets for Friday night. Reservation time is 7pm, a little later, so everyone can get there and everyone who is hiking is out.

DIRECTIONS TO CRICKETS

Get off exit 35 (Peru) and head toward the town of Peru (West). Crickets sets off the road on the left about 1 mile down from the Nortway (I87). This place has some of the best food around and the service is great. You can get anything from burgers to steak to chicken to calamari. They took real good care of us last year as a group of 40, so we're going to return for another nice evening.

It's crunch time, any last minute questions??

Pizza and wings for Thursday night sounds awesome! That answers one of my questions.

Will you have the big trash barrels iced up and available for the beer, or will we need to keep it in our own coolers?

I'd like to bring several dozen ears of fresh corn for Saturday night - will there be a way to boil them?

I have a question...good kid hike...she's tough but I don't know how tough?..easy on Friday, harder on sat...could we join the group on fri for the celebration?..

David your always welcome at my place, as is your family. Especially with NYC bagels ;) . See you thursday then??

Michael I have a ton of coolers available and a tub for beer. We will just need to make a couple runs down the road for ice.

I have the parking flagged out with small orange flags. I only marked out the road into the field. Everyone will need to find a place to park. There is plenty just be careful it is a tree farm, so watch out for any stumps off the road, when you're parking. The field is only 50-100 feet from my backyard so there isn't very far to carry your gear and beer.

The small dirt drive is only one car wide and is just before my house on the left. It is right in the middle of the sharp left turn. As soon as you start up the drive you'll see the place on your right it's a tan and green ranch with a large backyard and a pool. Actually it's the only house there.