4,000 footers with a labrador retriever

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream Catcher

Reaction score
Finally back on VFTT, after an apparently 1Y6M hiatus.

A year ago, I suddenly lost my hiking companion - Thor, yellow lab. Took my heart out of hiking for the season.

Now have a new yellow lab - Zeus. Will be breaking him into hiking gently. Hale being first on the list, then probably Waumbek.

My question is, in order of difficulty, what trails are not the most capable dog friendly, that I should either completely avoid, or extensively plan for?

FWIW, always have hiked with the dog on a leash and plastic bags for 'ahem'.

Tnx for your thoughtful responses.

That's a bit of a tall order, since there are hundreds of trails. If you were to post a question about the most-dog friendly route up a particular mountain, I'd be happy to give you an opinion and/or suggest options.

In general, start your new dog slowly, keeping his welfare the first priority. Avoid trails with rough rocks (almost anything in the Presis evcept possibly the Crawford Path to Clinton) until he's well-seasoned.

Enjoy your new dog - one of life's great pleasures.

My condolences. Understandable - hiking just isn't the same without your best dog along.

You haven't said whether your new dog is a pup or an adult. If a pup, be sure to handle physical development and conditioning slowly and gradually. Anything big or difficult should be avoided until a pup is fully grown. For a lab, that can be 2 years or more.

Our vet cautioned that Labs are susceptible to hip and elbow injuries and problems. As such, she said to very sloooowly increase our Lab's mileage.
Also said keep her off trails where she's jumping down more than her height over and over, and that until she's grown and growth plates fully formed at around 18 months. Asked us to watch the descents and jumping down until maybe even a little older.
Hard to do with the desire to get out with a pup who's raring to go, but I stuck to it. On easier, gentler trails, and when going down, I stayed in front of her to ease her down over jumpdowns, steps or rocks.
Harder to do when they are a year old, which is why the trail selection is important.

I'll second the condolences from Dugan.

My black completed them maybe ten years ago. What started out as her tagging along while I finished them, became a goal to go back and do some I had done years ago when I was a kid.

Her first was Waumbek. I had no idea what to expect. We got out of the car, and she took off up the trail. I said to myself "If she comes back, we have a hiker. If she doesn't...well...I'm gonna miss that dog." Seconds later she came tear ass down the trail back to me. It was like that for nine years.

Start with any peak that is lower in elevation. Waumbek, Cabot, Zealand, the Osceola's, Passaconaway, etc. These are generally easier trails, and avoid long stretches of above treeline.

Water. Always be aware of how much water is on the trail. In fact, I've taken trails that might have added an extra mile just to make sure it followed a river for much of the way.

The Presidentials are the toughest, mostly because of the long stretches of open air and the sharp rocks. We had to hang out in the shade of a rock once for an hour so she could cool down. We had been in the sun for many hours and her black fur was just a magnet. The rocks can be downright dangerous. If you haven't already invested in them...get some booties. They come in handy in the winter, but work great on the sharp rocks. I've seen dogs paws all cut up (mine, once :( ) and it can be very dangerous.

There are way too many trails to go through them in order of difficulty. If you get to a spot that you feel they can't handle, just turn back. No big deal. Another thing to try is to avoid peaks when starting out. Hike to Thoreau Falls, Shoal Pond, etc. Gets them use to the trail and is an easy walk. These are good hikes when it's raining, since you won't have any views anyway.

All great suggestions. I also carry a dog specific first aid kit which I put together with the help of a friend who is a vet. A lot of "cling to itself" rolls of gauze/tape. As far as trails Caps Ridge to Jefferson comes to mind as one of the more difficult for my lab, and being a black lab anything above treeline in the summer can be bad. I always carry tons of water and a filter bottle so if I have to give up some of mine I can always replace it. For some reason Cinder prefers to drink from the camel back hose squirted in her mouth. But I too look for trails with lots of stream crossings and take a lot of extra time at everyone when it is warm out. On overnight hikes I have her carry her own food in a doggie backpack but I have to make sure everything inside is waterproffed (ie ziploc bags) as she will swim with her pack on. Cinder is almost 7 now and sometimes she will be a little sore after a long hike a bufferin in her supper and she is good to go the next day. Enjoy your new hiking companion I really love mine Nancy (Cinders Mom)

Might I also suggest that you rethink the 4000 footers. (The lists are a human invention--I rather doubt that a dog really cares about them...) The 4Ks tend to be longer and harder--it might be better to choose hikes based upon your dog's state of development and fitness. Perhaps this will mean that you will have to delay completing a list or will have to schedule both "with" and "without" hikes, but it will likely be better for your dog.

A summer walk/hike to Zealand Notch or Threau Falls via Zealand Tr would be a very nice intro. (Worked for me when I was getting over a foot problem...)

Doug

lx93 said:
1) How do you stop Fido from drinking out of a stream?

Firm training and/or physical restraint, though I don't usually bother. If it is known or marked as a water source for humans, I'll prevent the dog from going near it - drooling, laying, peeing, etc.

Assuming your concern is giardia, be aware that dogs can and do get giardia but are less susceptible than humans. There is a giardia vaccine for canines. I do not know what the efficacy rate is.

Certainly some good suggestions to consider before setting out.

I guess I will answer your question in the inverse and list which trails my labs have done over the years without problems. (The only trail they have had a problem with was the old Penobscot trial in Acadia).

Lafayette via the Skookumchuck or Greenleaf
Kinsmans via Mt. Kinsman Trail (summer and winter)
Madison via Airline and Howker Ridge
Cabot from Mill Brook
Waumbeck via Starr King (winter)
Field and Tom from Highland Center area (winter)
Eisenhower via Edmands
Hancock loop
Garfield via Garfield Trail out and back
Moosilauke from Ravine
Sandwich Mt. via Smart's Brook
Flume via Osseo
Hale from Zealand Rd
Passaconaway via Old Dicey Mill (winter)
Cardigan by many routes including Holt
Many other trails along river valleys such as those suggested by Doug Paul.

All the best wishes for getting back out there.
Chipc

Last edited:
As I've said elsewhere (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13899),

--M. said:
While it may be slightly off-topic, I'll nonetheless provide that the dogs I've seen on
==Franconia Ridge
==Crawford Path & Boott Spur
==Signal Ridge
==Algonquin (ADK) and
==Cascade (also ADK)

were all hurting for water.

On the other hand, it looked like 19-Mile Brook would be perfect for a dog: lots of shade and plenty of water (don't forget dogs get giardia, too).

Best for a fun hike,

--M.

Also, I would second Peakbagr's warning about growth plates in the bones. For those who haven't experienced it, watching a dog spend his/her last year or two with horrible hips would weigh heavily on me if I knew I had had a hand in it. As you're a veteran, I assume you've already got this one.

For a recommendation, I'd go with the Wild River system, including Moriah Brook, excepting the tall exposure on North Carter (watch out!).

Happy trails,

--M.

Thank you each and all for the thoughtful and thought provoking responses.

2007 will now be Zeus's developmental year, probably no 4,000 footers. Definitely a good time to see the 'flatlanderesque' trails. So there will be with and without hikes. Perhaps I will challenge myself to get the less dog friendly trails and peaks out of the way now. Why? The good and gentle reminders about the growth plates.

Leptosporsis (sp?) is the vaccine for dogs that guards against their natural tendency to drink from puddles, vernal pools, and the like. My vet recommends getting it at six months. Which is in six weeks.

Oh, and he is already being introduced to carrying his own pack, gentle additions to his daily obedience training regimem. Right now, it's just his vehicle safety harness, but the connections for comfort are nearly the same.

See you at the top.

Dream Catcher said:
Leptosporsis (sp?) is the vaccine for dogs that guards against their natural tendency to drink from puddles, vernal pools, and the like. My vet recommends getting it at six months. Which is in six weeks.

Hi Dream Catcher,
My understanding is that leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that dogs and humans get from water that has come in contact with blood or urine from an infected animal. I believe the vaccine against it is one of the standard "puppy shots" given.

I am probably mis-reading your post, but the vaccine won't deter them from drinking from puddles etc, it will just protect them from one of the infectious diseases possibly present in the water.

As far as giardiosis goes, I concur that dogs can get it but it seems to be rare based on my own obervations (4 labs over 17 years in lots of water of somewhat dubious quality and no problems.) You might want to ask your vet about it and the vaccine.

All the best!

Hey ChipC;

I miswrote my response into confusion. The lepto vaccine is only protection from the consequences, does nothing to modify the dog's behavior.

Zeus is my fourth true lab, fifih in a long line of hiking companion. First was a shelter mixed lab named Jackie. She went up Owl's Head, amongst others, with my brother and I back in the late 70s.

Dream Catcher said:
Zeus is my fourth true lab, fifih in a long line of hiking companion. First was a shelter mixed lab named Jackie. She went up Owl's Head, amongst others, with my brother and I back in the late 70s.

For an in shape dog I can imagine that the OH slide could be a lot of fun! I wish I had 4-paw drive when climbed it.

IMHO some very tough dog trails are:
Blueberry Ridge Trail to Whiteface particularly the last half mile.
Caps Ridge trail to Jefferson and the Presidentials above the tree line.
Moosilauke Carriage Road is all washed out with lots of loose sharp rocks.
I haven't been up it in a long time and never with a dog but I remember the Tuckerman Ravine trail as pretty unfriendly to a dogs pads.

Extending into Maine some easier dog friendly hikes were White Cap and Kennebago Divide.

I'm biased toward Labs, but all dogs are different: Chips and Zippy are both labs with lots of miles on both of them but they are very different in what they can handle in terms of cold temperatures.

We have our first Lab, a little over 2 years old. We followed the vet's recommendations about a slow introduction to hiking and gentle terrain.

She is a completely hiking fool. Sleeps near the gear pile the evening before and lives to out in the woods. She's a great hiking companion. Stays close(left and right of us), and when she returns to the trail, will shadow the hiker in front of her until the trail widens and she can scoot by without bumping or brushing the 2 legged companion.
Boo loves to bushwhack, and I love following her route thru cliff bands and thick stuff, as inevitably, she follows the best way up & through, or follows the scent of wild animals who know the best route thru difficult terrain.

So far she seems immune to cold weather, and will wade or break ice to grab a quick slurp, but I carry water for her on colder weather trips.
If other Labs are like Bookah, I'd see them as ideal companions.

...Now if I could just get her to obey the "leave it" command a little more regularly when she spies a p'pine or deer...

Paradox said:
IMHO some very tough dog trails are:
Blueberry Ridge Trail to Whiteface particularly the last half mile.
Caps Ridge trail to Jefferson and the Presidentials above the tree line.
Moosilauke Carriage Road is all washed out with lots of loose sharp rocks.
I haven't been up it in a long time and never with a dog but I remember the Tuckerman Ravine trail as pretty unfriendly to a dogs pads.

I'm biased toward Labs, but all dogs are different: Chips and Zippy are both labs with lots of miles on both of them but they are very different in what they can handle in terms of cold temperatures.
Paradox,
I mostly agree on those trails not being dog friendly. However, I believe that the Moosilauke Carriage Road has had a lot of trailwork done in the last few years and most of the rough spots have been smoothed out. Jet, the "senior" lab in the background of my avatar, descended that way last Fall and had no issues.

btw - I am also biased towards Labs and especially Labs named Chips!

Cheers
Chipc (who also happens to work in a lab.)

Last edited: