4-Day Grafton Loop Backpack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingRock

Reaction score
Despite reports of 90+ degree heat, 3 stalwart backpackers consiting of Mike, Jon and Martin set out on Thursday, July 12, 2012 to tackle the new 39-mile Grafton Loop Trail in the Mahoosuc Mountains of Maine!

Day 1 [11.7 miles] Was sunny and hot, with temperatures reaching near 90 degrees. Leaving at around 9:45am, we traveled the loop in a counter-clockwise direction, beginning at Grafton Notch State Park and immediately starts with a climb up Old Speck mountain on the Appalachian Trail, which the Grafton Loop Trail shares for 8 miles from East Baldpate to Old Speck. After 4 miles and 2670 ft. of elevation gain, we arrived at 12:30pm. We climbed up the tower on the summit to enjoy excellent views of the peaks across the way and the valley below. We stopped here for lunch.

The trail then gradually descended down the south side of the mountain and the hiking was a pleasure on this new trail, with luxurious level of dirt to cushion our feet, as it has not yet been worn away by thousands of footsteps, unlike the Appalachian Trail.

As we climbed up Sunday River Whitecap, we could not notice the extensive trailwork in the alpine zone to preserve the fragile ecosystems. It's one of the best work we've seen ever! The peak was one of the highlights of the loop, with 360 degree views of the Mahoosuc Range and White Mountains to the south and west, Puzzle and Long Mts. to the east and surrounding lakes and rivers to the north.

A short descent brought us to Sargent Brook Camp where we arrived around 6pm. We set up our tents to spend the night.

Day 2 [10 miles] Another hot day with temperatures in the 90's. After breakfast, we headed south around 8am over rolling hills. We met someone who was finishing the loop and asked where we were staying tonight [Stewart Campsite]. He then informed us that the brook was dry and we would need to carry extra water. This would mean we would have to carry extra weight over an elevation gain of 2,300 ft. After some discussion, we decided if we are lugging water up Puzzle Mountain, then we might as well as camp on the summit to watch the sunset and stars! Why spend the night at a dry campsite.

Once we reached Bear River at around 12pm, we spent two hours here swimming, sunbathing and eating lunch. We crossed Route 26 and started to climb Puzzle Mountain, the approximate halfway mark of the loop. Near the summit, we found a flat ledge to make camp at around 6pm and then went up further to tag the summit itself. It was quite breezy up here but it was so refreshing on this hot day. After dinner and hot beverages, we sat down to enjoy a spectacular sunset. Later, in our sleeping bags, we looked up at the skies for some of the best stargazing we've ever had with the Milky Way visible later in the night! This was another highlight of our loop.

Day 3 [11.8 miles] Another hot day greeted us and getting warmer by the minute. This day covered the easiest terrain. We went to check out the water situation at the Stewart Campsite and learned there was plenty of water available there. There was a blue blazed trail from the main campsite that went down to a great water source. In fact, this was one of the best water sources of all the campsites we visited. The campsite itself, however, was not that great because there was not much shade and buggy. We lunched at the viewpoint on Long Mountain and then followed a lovely stream past a number of campsites, taking time to enjoy a dip in an excellent swimming hole on the way! If heading north, this swimming hole is about a quarter mile before the Lane Campsite. We climbed up to Lightning Ledge and took a break on a short spurt trail to an overlook. The best views of the day. We made it to East Baldpate Campsite around 6pm. We were happy that a stream was close by with ample water for washing up. We set up our tents for our last night on the trail.

Day 4 [6.5 miles] We got an early 7am start with a pleasant 2 mile walk that led to a climb up the southern side of East Baldpate Mountain. The sky was quite hazy as the humidity levels were increasing with each passing day. At the top, we snapped photos of the summit and ourselves. We bid goodbye to the blue blazes of the Grafton Loop and now would follow the familiar white blazes of the Appalachian Trail again for the last 4 miles of the loop. On the summit we had spectacular views to the north and west, including an up-close-and-personal view over to West Baldpate. We descended over the open rock face following cairns. Our route dipped briefly down for a short while, then back up to a gradual climb of West Baldpate, only to drop steeply down the rugged trail over it's west side. We were very impressed by the length of the rock staircase for this descent. By this time, it was getting real hot.

The last mile of the trail was extremely pleasant, following another stream and very moderate terrain. Upon reaching Grafton Notch parking area, we congratulated each other with much enthusiasm! We found out from a park ranger where we could take a dip to cool off and then headed over to the Sunday River Brewery for burgers & beer.

The Grafton Loop Trail, although constructed only a few years ago, is quickly becoming one of the most popular backpacking trips in the region. The Grafton Loop trail was a true backpacker's trail, and a welcome addition to the roster of GO backpack trips in the future!

>>Click Here For Pictures/Slide Show [Press F11 for full effects]

Last edited:
We backpacked the loop in the opposite direction three July's ago -- and tacked on the Mahoosuc Range from Old Speck to Goose Eye as well to extend our trip to five days. Its a great region, although we found the campsites were in need of maintenance and the stretch between the East Baldpate camping area and Lightning Ledge were a tad boring. Agreed that Sunday River White Cap is amazing!

Thanks for the current trip report. Some friends, Steve, "Skipper" and I are backpacking this loop in early August. Bringing our dog... I was wondering about water along the way. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for the current trip report. Some friends, Steve, "Skipper" and I are backpacking this loop in early August. Bringing our dog... I was wondering about water along the way. Looking forward to it!

We checked out almost every campsite and even with this dry spell, water was available in each one. As a heads up for your dog, between Stewart Campsite and the north side of Long Mtn., there is hardly any water on the trail...just small puddles of water.

Thanks for the report. Where did you end up swimming?

The park ranger told us that as we head south, about 100 yards after Screw Auger Falls, the road goes over a brook. Park at the pullout after crossing the brook and there is a herd path leading to a beautiful and 'private' swimming hole.

We backpacked the loop in the opposite direction three July's ago -- and tacked on the Mahoosuc Range from Old Speck to Goose Eye as well to extend our trip to five days. Its a great region, although we found the campsites were in need of maintenance and the stretch between the East Baldpate camping area and Lightning Ledge were a tad boring. Agreed that Sunday River White Cap is amazing!

The campsites must be in better shape since then. The Sargent Brook Campsite had a community cooking area and a bear box. Each one had an outhouse [although the one at the Town Line campsite had no door]. My least favorite was the Stewart Campsite. There are two new campsites not listed on the map that I downloaded from the internet. One is Bald Mtn. Campsite about one mile in from Rte. 26 on the western loop. The other is Bull Run Campsite, again on the western loop about one mile south of the summit of Old Speck Mountain. My least favorite section was between Stewart Campsite up to Long Mountain...there really was not much to look at and the view from Long Mountain was marginal.

Una_dogger's opinion of the entire Long Mountain area (taken at the summit):
IMG_4195.jpg

Ha ha ha! That picture was taken three years ago to the day tomorrow! (I only remember 'cuz it was my birthday and we backpacked a really long day and Long Mntn was a suffer fest!)

Rolling Rock - there were several missing doors on outhouses when we did the trail - also all of the sites were in need of brushing and the one between Long and Puzzle Mntns had been pretty badly washed out.

Glad to hear thing have improved !

Epic picture Michael.

Nice TR and pics. This is one part of the mountains I've yet to visit but it looks amazing.

As the FoD's (Friends of Damselfly) who are joining them on this hike, thanks for the TR. I was getting ready to put out a thread on questions about the water supplies and possible routes/directions. Another question I was going to post was, did the pads fill up at any of the tentsites and how many were there? Love the idea of staying on the mountain to camp.

Ha ha ha! That picture was taken three years ago to the day tomorrow! (I only remember 'cuz it was my birthday and we backpacked a really long day and Long Mntn was a suffer fest!)

That means today is your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! As for the finger gesture regarding the approach to Long Mountain...I felt the same. :) For those not in know, this section has the trail alongside a former logging area and some parts have you directly under the hot sun.

As the FoD's (Friends of Damselfly) who are joining them on this hike, thanks for the TR. I was getting ready to put out a thread on questions about the water supplies and possible routes/directions. Another question I was going to post was, did the pads fill up at any of the tentsites and how many were there? Love the idea of staying on the mountain to camp.
Each site had about 4 tent pads [some could hold two tents] and most had a large communal area that you could pitch a few tents into if needed. As for numbers of people on the trail, for us, there were two other people at the Sargent Campsite sharing the same tent on one pad. At East Baldpate, we found the tent pads small [can only fit one tent] and there was group of five people with three tents. We had already taken two tent pads but they were able to pitch two tents close together on another pad; but the other person had to pitch his tent within the communal area.

I hiked the loop over july 4th weekend 2010 and I saw 2 people entire loop that wasn't coinciding with AT. AT from Baldpate to Grafton Notch wasn't too bad with people, just a couple thru hikers. Trail to Old Speck was crowded but it was a holiday weekend Sunday. Mice were among worst I ever encountered camping by Baldpate shelter.