4083 feet of Driftsnow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
Two days of ice climbing left my forearms raw enough to forego another pump-fest. Besides, it was -5*F and my partner took a nasty lead fall the day previous and did not feel up to chopping away for a third day.

After narrowly avoiding an oncoming traffic we found ourselves at the "App Gap." It was sufficiently blustery to scare my friends away, so I headed off solo. Realizing after about 10 minutes that the trail was mellow I ran bag to grab my skis. I cranked up the music and started in for the second time. I donned my skis and made a feable attempt at walking down the trail, falling countless times on the narrow snowshoe trail. The snowshoes went back on. At least the trail was well broken out.

After passing a few nice overlooks of camel's hump and the valley below I arrived at the ridgeline. I caught up with a couple who had started up ahead of me. Their dog was barking at a large moose standing nearby. I had a look, was stared down, and promptly headed southbound on the LT.

Next up I ran into the northern summit of Mad River Glen. The trail was hard to locate coming off from the top of the resort, but I discovered it after asking a few guys in an "interesting smelling" warming hut. The trail over to the southern summit was well broken with ski tracks, and had better clearance for the skis which stretched far above my head. Again I struggled to find the trail, but found sufficient snowshoe markings to continue on down the corridors of spruce. The going was tough as many low branches caught my skis as I walked. I passed a MRG ski patroller just as I caught my first view of Ellen. She looked formidable, but not too far away, with her shoulder exposed by the sloping ski trail.

The going got harder from here, but there was still a rough snowshoe trail. The problem became the ever present snow drift. I don't know if the snowmaking from the ski resorts contributed to the problem, but there were VERY high drifts. Since the drifts were more recent than the snowshoe tracks, it was necessary to search for the trail at the onset of each drifted section of snow.

The drifts got deeper and deeper as I approached the top of the first false summit on Ellen. Since I was wearing my "fast and light" 7x21s and had an estimated 35lbs. on my back the going was tough. Spruce traps abounded, and a few times I thought for sure I had lost one of my snowshoes to them.

I arrived at the Jeruselum trail junction. The snowshoe tracks carried on, the sign said 1.9 miles to the summit. I was in great spirits, it was a blue-bird day and the mushroom snow formations were breathtaking. For the next half hour or so the trail was reasonably easy to follow. Soon after I found myself in a maze of snowshoe tracks with no clear exit. I searched every dead end, finding a tree circled by snowshoe tracks, an obvious indication of the previous souls turnaround point.

I was getting a bit tired at this point, took a short break to grab some food and look at the time. I determined that my turn-around time co-incided pretty well with the last song playing on my iPod. I decided that if I had not found reasonable indication of a trail I would turn around. I left my pack briefly, as I found that the snow would hold my weight if I was not over burdened. I searched and searched, finally returning to my pack. I decided to drop down into this mini ravine which was obscured by a blowdown. I was convinced that the blowdown had obscured the trail. Since the trial followed the height of land according to the map I knew that if I kept blue sky on either side of me I would eventually find the spruce corridor out. The problem was that the shadows were getting longer and I knew the sky would not be blue forever. It was disheartening to think of being be-nighted due to the fact that I knew my friends would send help had I not contacted them by 8pm.

Well, with 2 songs remaining I found a white marker painted on a metal strip affixed to a tree. It was at foot-level. A spruce corridor made itself available, I was back on track! Shortly there after I found flagging on the trail. It started to look possible that I would summit Ellen before dark. I now had a decent trail to follow, and it was not too hard to stay on the "spine" as it were. Things were looking up, and I put my music on shuffle as I continued on carefully.

Soon I emerged on Ellen's exposed shoulder. A few skiers/snowboarders raced by as I trudged along with my snowshoes. It looked pretty obvious to me that I was not going to be able to ski down. It was too steep!. I nearly reached the top when I was approached by ski patrol. They were not too happy with me, probably because I was carrying my skis. One compasionate member gave me the ok to go and tag the summit before heading down. It was 4:30 and they were itching to leave. I was the last man on the mountain. When I returned we had a second squabble. They said I could either ski down or they would dump me in the sled! One gentleman in was particularly crude. I told them my plan was simply to hike back to my car at the App. Gap, but that it would be much safer simply to walk down the slopes, perhaps skiing the bunny slope to make up some time since it was pretty late.

The responses were "I know you hiked all this way to poach this mountain, but you can't hike down." And then, "You are on Sugarbush time now." I said fine, and I started to put on my skis when the compassionate member of the team stood up for me and told the other guys it would be ok if I was just going to snowshoe. I agreed, and with a warning about the groomers carried on my way.

At the bottom I was greeted by friendly staff who directed me to the phone so I could call my friends. My day ended with a long cold walk followed by a kind soul giving me a lift back to the App. Gap. I returned to Connecticut at 5am this morning, having taken a nap on the way back.

-percious

Pamola said:
I think I may have met your "crude gentleman" myself. Unfortunately, I met him on my way up, not the way down. :mad:
You catch his name? It's one I won't forget soon.

No name. Blonde hair. The guy with a red beard was way cool though.

-chris

Nice TR! Sounds like the nap on the way home was sweet and well deserved! Shame on the ski patrol guy for giving you sh*& about poaching ONE run.

Really nice TR. Sorry about Captain Ski Man.

percious said:
The trail was hard to locate coming off from the top of the resort, but I discovered it after asking a few guys in an "interesting smelling" warming hut.

So you're saying that dudes were burning it down?

Doesn't sound like an "easy" day after ice climbing...

Climbing at Smuggs? Falling on ice is just bad - last guy I climbed with that fell on lead got a fractured ankle bone from a 4ft fall - doesn't take much.

Cool trip, nice report. Pics?

When were you up there? I was skiing Sugarbush on Sunday.

cbcbd said:
Climbing at Smuggs? Falling on ice is just bad - last guy I climbed with that fell on lead got a fractured ankle bone from a 4ft fall - doesn't take much.

Cool trip, nice report. Pics?

When were you up there? I was skiing Sugarbush on Sunday.

Every Ice fall is bad. This one was a 20foot Grounder. The good news was that my belay softened his fall along with the fluffy snow below. The bad news was that Jed's ice axe remained at the top of the buldge. I got to do my 2nd "sort of" lead (3 pieces in 1 needed) on WI4 ice :) I pulled it off, Jed seconded, cleaning his gear (and my one piece) and we both rapped off safely. The ice at the top of the pitch was aerated, causing his axe to come out when he threw the rope over it to hold him while he put in his last screw. It was steep!

I was hiking on Monday.

-percious

PM from Mike P.: One of the lurkers here is a board member on Alpine Zone & he had some info on your LT trip.

Here it is: "I am not a member but follow the posts over there and have some feedback for precious on his post from Mt. Ellen.
He followed the old LT out to the ski trail that goes up the west ridge. He also crossed a boundry rope to do this. THe newer rout stays west of this and comes out to the southof the snow fence in front of the lift. If he would have been on the LT he would have had no problem. the reason the old LT gets busted out here is skiers and riders use this as an acess to the BC off the ridge back into Bush south.
Dave"

If the info looks like it may help the next guy feel free to post it on your thread.

I do not remember seeing any boundry markers, but to be honest there were deep drifts at the top of the mountain which may have obscured them. I was so tired by the time I reached the ski slopes I was looking for a safe and simple retreat. I was very close to turning around before heading up the last slope, but figured I had better just go up there since I had been fighting hard all day. I never saw a snow fence either, the flagged trail literally lead me right to the slopes.

I remember going up the 'organgrinder' years ago. Did this guy have a problem if you wanted to go back down the trail?

percious said:
The ice at the top of the pitch was aerated, causing his axe to come out when he threw the rope over it to hold him while he put in his last screw.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of clipping or putting the rope on the tool before clipping in - just lengthens the amount you fall if you can't clip in time. I know some clip a runner to their tool and clip the rope to that, and then transfer the runner to the screw once it's in - but I guess his tool popped out because of the rope? Did he lean on the rope? And the tool left behind... another sale for leashes :)

So this was at Smuggs? What did you guys climb there and how was the road after the snow?

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of clipping or putting the rope on the tool before clipping in - just lengthens the amount you fall if you can't clip in time. I know some clip a runner to their tool and clip the rope to that, and then transfer the runner to the screw once it's in - but I guess his tool popped out because of the rope? Did he lean on the rope? And the tool left behind... another sale for leashes :)

So this was at Smuggs? What did you guys climb there and how was the road after the snow?

Yes at smuggs. An he was using two ropes so the amount of a fall shouldn't have changed. He actually had a fifi hook attached to his harness via chording but was not using it for some reason. He used leashes, but had removed his hand from one leash in order to place the screw. the fall came after a bit of a struggle to get his weight onto the tool via the rope. It was a soft landing in any event. I saw nothing wrong with his technique, but personally I refuse to hang my harness on a tool placement to put in a screw for ethical reasons. If I'm pumped out, then I don't belong on the route in the first place and should be abandoning the climb.

-percious

hikerfast said:
I remember going up the 'organgrinder' years ago. Did this guy have a problem if you wanted to go back down the trail?

I don't think they had a problem with me returning to the LT. I didn't find it a very safe option, as it was late in the day and I was considerably exhausted.

*tease* new website is up but I need to get my DNS switched over! PM me if you want to beta test it.

-percious