46 yr old Sherpa 16th everest summit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is amazing! Also amazing is that there are 86 other expeditions on the mountain right now! Sounds almost as crowded as Monadnock!

dms said:
That is amazing! Also amazing is that there are 86 other expeditions on the mountain right now! Sounds almost as crowded as Monadnock!

I can't even imagine how gross that base camp must look....with the frozen conditions all the time..the human "waste" just must make that place unpleasant altogether....and then the "junk" higher up???

M

KMartman said:
I can't even imagine how gross that base camp must look....with the frozen conditions all the time..the human "waste" just must make that place unpleasant altogether....and then the "junk" higher up???

M

That was one of the things that impressed me about Kilimanjaro, even with tons of people on the mountain the trails were incredibly clean and most of the cho's (toilets) weren't too bad.

KMartman said:

I read that there are expeditons now to Everest just to go and clean up!
:(

Jim lombard said:
That was one of the things that impressed me about Kilimanjaro, even with tons of people on the mountain the trails were incredibly clean and most of the cho's (toilets) weren't too bad.

I will have to PM you sometime. Killi is on my "short" list....

M

Tom Rankin said:
I read that there are expeditons now to Everest just to go and clean up!
:(

Most certianly...I believe that most of that is used air canisters from camp 4 and above. I am pretty sure they pack out anything from true base camp..

M

Mallory, Hillary

I could understand. Given the still existing risk/reward ratio, I question the attraction of risking death on a trash-strewn mountain thousands of people have climbed.
Especially since Westerners don't do this on their own anyway but get lots of help from the locals.
I think I'd rather climb the 4th or 8th highest peak for the rarity.
The idea of someone calling my wife with news of my demise is enough to stop me. Be different if I was single.
Does anyone else see Everest as a less-attractive goal than formerly?

I would be really uncomfortable to run into a body that was left up there from someone who died while attempting the climb. I read an account of the Everest disaster (incl. Scott Fisher and Rob Hall) by a woman from Denmark..can't remember her name... Anyway, she described how her group passed by the upper torso of a person and how she wished she could believe that the lower part was attached to it.

That experience would haunt me for too long.. :(

16 times up Everest! That is truely incredible. I have a ways to go before I have even climbed Washington 16 times! I think the only thing I have climbed 16 or more times is Wachusett.

I remember watching an interview when he was making his 14 Everest Climb. He said, this will be my last time. If I keep doing this; that mountain is going to take me one of these times. :)