47 and 48 - A sensible plan :)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HikerBob

Having scrapped my idea for a big finish I'm now going to be doing 47 -Owl's Head and 48 - Garfield as individual day hikes :)

Owl's Head will be this Saturday and I've set Garfield for August 13th.

For Garfield I'm still considering going up from Lincoln Woods but will keep to the Franconia Brook trail and bypass Owl's head :rolleyes: I already did 99% of the Garfield Trail back in the winter and fancy a different, longer approach that will give me time to reflect. I'll be getting my van spotted at the Garfield Trail head so it'll make for a nice traverse.

All are welcome to join me. Garfield is a pretty hardened summit so can stand a crowd but small groups on the trails would be order of the day.

Still can't believe it is this close :)

Bob

HikerBob,

I was really hoping to be able to join you when you finish on Garfield but that weekend I will be on Monhegan Island with my Mom and sisters :( . Boohoo!

-MEB

HikerBob: I'll keep an eye on your plans for Garfield as that sounds like a great route!

The finish up on Garfield looks good for me - will be nice to finally meet some of you guys...

Hmmm.. Sarah and I will be camping in Crawford Notch still.. if I have enough energy.. count us in for Garfield!

Brian - the Skoomkumchuck although almost half the distance of the hike in from Lincoln Woods has about 500ft more elevation gain and a section of the Garfield Ridge trail I've heard folk curse before now :)

For those who can't make the 13th I'll schedule a redo trip and we can all pretend the first one didn't happen :D

Bob

Check out the link below. Maybe that route interests you. I hear it's a "little thick" in there and also that rock face is a difficult climb... but I'm sure we'd all be having fun!

:p :p

Hope I can join no matter what route. Of course, in the name of minimizing impact, we can all chose different routes!

-Dr. Wu

Sorry, I won't be there this Saturday. If everything goes correctly I should be looking at you from North and Middle Tripyrimid this Saturday. I should be easy to spot from Owls head. I'll be the one breathing hard and sweating profusely. :eek: :D

Wish you luck and congrats.

Keith

Bob
I've only been able to hike twice this year, but after all the great pictures and stories you've put up, I'm going to try and make it to your 48th! Thanks for the inspiration. Please keep us posted on routes and times. Congrats! :)

Bob,

I'll plan on being there on the 13th. Congrats in advance.

Please don't bring that "moth" with you. It scares the beejezus out of me;)

peace.

Wu - if you do that route you'll cover the South cardinal point! With the Garfield Ridge coming in from East and West all we need now is a volunteer for the North :D

Keith - Good luck on the Tri-Ps. I have to go do the North Slide again sometime to get the views.

Outabreath - with a name like that you sound like my kind of hiker :)

The congratulations are a little premature - but my thanks to everyone.

And on that note, thanks do go out to everyone. I really believe I could not have done it without the advice, support and companionship, both real and virtual, from everyone in the NE hiking community. Thank you all.

Bob

Bob
Let's put it this way, I have read all your trip reports and saw all the times on all your pictures, if we hiked together the only thing you would hear from me would be "Hey Bob, could you slow down a little, it's not a race you know".

Outabreath et al

I'll be heading in from Lincoln Woods and taking my sweet time as usual. I'm aiming to hit the trail at 6am to give myself plenty of time for reflection and photography (and breathers when it gets steep;)) so probably won't hit the summit until maybe 1-2pm. Current forecast is looking very good so lounging up there won't be too much of a chore :)

Bob

For anyone who wants to join us on Saturday, we will be taking the Skoomkumchuck Trail, then the ridge over to Garfield to meet HikerBob.

Our plan is to meet at Monroe's on Route 3 in Twin Mountain for coffee/breakfast at 6:45 - leave there at 7:15 and drop our car at the Garfield trailhead, then Drewski will drive us to the Skoomkumchuck trailhead and be on the trail by 8 AM.

If you are going to join us, please PM or email us and let us know where we should look for you and if we need to plan on more car spotting.

HikerBob - where is the after hike celebration taking place?????

Bob & Geri et al,

I decided the Woodstock Inn would be a good place to gather afterwards as it can accommodate a varying number of people and tastes.

Look forward to seeing faces old and new.

Think good weather!

Bob