#48 - Carrigain on 2/11/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
The morning started gloriously. Clear skies, bright stars and a sweet message from my girlfriend on my cell phone had me ready to start the hike to my 48th NH 4000 footer.

PoisonIvy and I geared up and waited (and waited..) for una_dogger and MichaelJ to arrive at the winter parking for Sawyer River Rd. PI headed off first on her skis while the rest of us put on our snowshoes and followed. We stayed off the road at first, hiking alongside the river for awhile. Eventually we saw that the road wasn't too far up above us so we 'whacked our way up the steep enbankment and were soon at the Signal Ridge TH.

The Signal Ridge Tr is a wonderful hike. The water crossings were nicely frozen over and the way the trail ascends slowly at first made for a good warm-up. PoisonIvy was lagging behind more than usual - she'd had a rough time the day before attempting Mt Jefferson - but the rest of us didn't mind at all waiting for her to catch up. The weather was nearly perfect and I was happy to take my time and soak it all in.

As the trail steepened PoisonIvy told us that her legs were bothering her alot and she wasn't sure she'd be able to make it all the way. She said to not bother waiting for her and that she would turn back if she felt she had to. Thankfully some ibuprofin seemed to help and while the rest of us stopped at one of the amazing viewpoint ledges she soon caught up with us.

While the steepness was never all that major, the few icy spots and the unremitting nature of the climb was quite tiring. When we reached the top of the ridge we found a nice spot with tremendous views to the east and hunkered down for lunch. The wind was barely noticable and we enjoyed playing name that peak during our meal. I had brought along a copy of Scudder's guide to the views on Carrigain and it was great to be able to positively identify what we were seeing.

We then headed out onto the ridge, soon spotting the tower-topped summit that was out goal for the day. We were also soon treated to our first views to the west. The Hancocks really stood out and beyond that the Bonds and Franconia Ridge were a sight to behold.

Dipping back below treeline we were shortly at the base of the summit tower. We stripped off our snowshoes and headed up to the top and were in awe of the views we were rewarded with. MichaelJ surprised me by presenting me with my patch - thanks!! - and we snapped many pictures. With almost no wind and bright, clear skies we were able to spend a good amount of time on top of the tower. I brought out Scudder's guide again and was able to identify every peak on the diagram. Couldn't have asked for better weather up there!

It had taken us about 7 hours to hike the 7 miles to the summit but we were confident we'd make better time on the descent. Sure enough, the hike down was much easier and we all made it down without incident. We managed to double our speed on the return trip and were back to our cars before needing headlamps.

I must say I feel lucky to have had such a great time starting my exploration of the White Mountains. I have made many new friends, mostly thanks to VFTT and ROT group hikes. I have had many wonderful adventures and I look forward to returning to these mountains for many more. My only regret is that more of my friends had been unable to join me on this particular hike. I was very happy to have PoisonIvy, MichaelJ and una_dogger along but was especially sad that Dugan, Jade, Lattinhill, and SilentCal hadn't been there. You guys better be there when I finish my next list!

Congratualtaions

Hey RnR,
Congrats on the last 4000'er, at least on the first round of them. ;) Having met you so late in the game, I am glad I was able join you for one peak. So, what is the next list?
Early Bird

Great Pictures

Great pictures, Poison Ivy. Rocknroll, you look so proud holding that little patch. :) I like the video clip in there, too. Looked like a really great day. Nice job.
Early Bird

Congratulations to you and great TR! I finished my #48 on Carrigain a year and a week prior to you. What a great mountain to finish on in the winter, huh?

Best regards,
Marty

RnR... Congratulations on finishing the 48. Nice T/R. Depending on the time you were there I may have a picture of you on the tower. I have a shot of Carrigain from the top of the chimney between east Osceola and the main peak and can see the tower. I'll have to zoom in a little to see if you are there. :D

Ivy, Nice pictures and slideshow as usual. You're getting really close too! Stick with it and close out the Winter 48 this year. ;)

Earl

Hey Ron, Congratulations ! You worked hard for this, especially with the big push near the end, and I'm glad to have tagged along for more than a few.
I'm really glad you great weather too !

Dave

Way to go, R'n'R! Even out of the woods before dark! :D

Hey, how about the Winter 67 List? ;)

Congrats! It was a pleasure to join you on your 48th, and wow, what an amazing hike — the weather and conditions were fantastic! And so were the cookies, yum, thanks D. :)

I have to postprocess my photos on my Mac since I used the dSLR and shot in RAW, but it's in Massachusetts and oh drat I'm snowbound in Vermont, so it may be a few more days before I get the album up. Until then, Ivy's great pics really sum up the day nicely!

Ivy: I'm so psyched you stuck with it, it was great to see you catch up to us at that first viewpoint!

Una_dogger: Sorry my morning disorganization made us late, especially since we only had to drive about 15 minutes to the trailhead. I was a morning person once, really! In any case, I'm wicked glad you finally got to experience clear weather and views in the Whites. :)

BigEarl: we summitted around 1:20pm.

Last edited:
rocksnrolls said:
I had brought along a copy of Scudder's guide to the views on Carrigain and it was great to be able to positively identify what we were seeing. We then headed out onto the ridge, soon spotting the tower-topped summit that was out goal for the day. We were also soon treated to our first views to the west. The Hancocks really stood out and beyond that the Bonds and Franconia Ridge were a sight to behold.

Congrats on finishing the NH48, Rocksnrolls!

Trivia question: Which four of the NH48 could you NOT see from the top?

MichaelJ said:
BigEarl: we summitted around 1:20pm.

MichaelJ, I believe we hit the main peak around 1:00pm. By 1:30pm we were probably preparing to leave. Since the shot was taken earlier when we were above the chimney you were probably not on the summit yet. But, you may have been on Signal Ridge and in the open.

I'll take a close look to see if I can find evidence of you guys in the shot. That would be interesting. :D

Earl

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Congrats on finishing the NH48, Rocksnrolls!

Trivia question: Which four of the NH48 could you NOT see from the top?

good question, I'm trying to remember without looking it up...I think Middle and South Carter, Tom and ummm...West Bond?

Earl, that would be pretty cool if you spotted us from the chimney! I love that spot

Last edited:
rocksnrolls said:
My main list now is the Y-Alpine 100, which I need less than 30 to complete. I'm also working on the 52 With A View, T-3000, Trailwrights 72, 48x4, etc. And redlining the AMC maps

Yeesh... whatever happened to hiking for the sake of hiking?!

Congrats!

Congratulations Ron. I was planning on finishing my W nh 48
on Carrigain but I went two weeks ago for my 32th Winter
peak. Was it windy on the tower!

Congrads on #48!!

It was nice meeting and talking to you on our way down the mountain. You picked a great day to finish up your 48 list. Congratulations and well done!!

rocksnrolls said:
good question, I'm trying to remember without looking it up...I think Middle and South Carter, Tom and ummm...West Bond?

I checked out the Scudder's Guide diagram and saw that 11 peaks were not shown (Monroe, Madison, Middle and South Carter, Wildcat A+D, Pierce, Cannon, Tom, Moriah and Waumbek). I wonder what the story is with that? When the claim is made that 43 of the 48 can be seen, does it mean that you can see the sides of some of them but not the summits? And then does Scudder's only show them if you can see the peaks?

Dugan said:
Yeesh... whatever happened to hiking for the sake of hiking?!

Congrats!

well, that's fine for someone who's been hiking as long as you have ;) . For a newbie like myself, I find the lists and redlining help me as I try to see as many new places as I can. I might not have ever hiked to Black Mtn (the one in Benton), Owl's Head, Mt Randolph, etc otherwise, and all were great fun.