#48 Carrigan

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4000'er

Reaction score
So it came down to Carrigan for my 48th. Not so much a fulfillment of a grand plan, but somewhat luck, I’d have to admit. But luck, it would seem, was on my side. Carrigan was perfect. I couldn’t have picked a better mountain to finish up on. What a view. We hit the trail around 8:15 and made it through the first couple of miles without too much of a problem. At this point the trail got steep. We trudged on, and the word that kept coming to mind was “relentless”. Our effort was rewarded when we hit the Signal Ridge. We hung out there for a while, and then made the last push to the summit. We made it to the top around 12:20 and enjoyed a tasty lunch, and drank in the 360-degree view. The trip back down was uneventful until the last water crossing. I was down low trying to get a good shot as my daughter hopped across some boulders and lost my balance. My trusty Nikon 995 bounced out of my hand and into the water with a plop. I rushed over, fished it out, turned it off, pulled out the battery, and then the memory card, and just had to wait until we got home to see if it was toast or not. I had brought that camera with me on probably 45 of the 48, including last year’s Pound the Presi. Even if it wasn’t my primary camera now, it still worked well for hiking. We made it back to the car around 4:00 and headed south. We stopped at the Tilt’n Diner for a celebratory dinner and that was it. The quest was over.
Hiking the 4000 footers has been a real learning experience for me. My kids on many of them have joined me as well. My son Josh has hiked 21, Theresa, 6, and Katharine 1. It has been a lot of fun.

Pics here

Very nicely done, Jim... loved the pics. Looks like it was a really special day sharing your 48th peak with your daughter. Carrigain was my 48th as well. Its such a treat when you get good weather up there - you can see so far from that fire tower! Nice pictures of the slides on Mt Lowell, too. Congrats.

Congratulations ! It's fairly certain that's where I'll finish, and like you, hopefully with my daughter.

Dave

Nice photos! Thanks for bringing back some great memories. I finished my 48 there on a blustery but very clear December day. More than finishing the 48, you'll have special memories of all of that time spent with the kids. 20 years later I vividly remember parts of almost every hike dad and I did together. Oddly, I can't tell you what the view looked like from most of those summits.

Nice Job and great peak to finish on. I didnot finish there but have climbed Carrigan more than any other NH 48! Hike on ;)

Jason Berard said:
congrats on finishing the 48 with your daughter! what's next?

I'll be helping my kids finish the list. I'd also like to start the NE 4000's.

Last edited:
Congrats Jim! And, was that freeze dried ice cream Sandwhich your daughter was eating on the top??? How did you manage that?

Outtabreath said:
Congrats Jim! And, was that freeze dried ice cream Sandwhich your daughter was eating on the top??? How did you manage that?

The freeze dried ice cream was a bit strange. Tastes like ice cream, but it's not cold. You can get them at EMS. They are ready to eat. My daughter wanted to try one.