48x2, 48+2 Hike up Cannon Feb 20th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
I'm planning to finish round two of the NH48 on Cannon February 20th. I finished round one there on my 48th birthday so I thought it would be a great place to catch up to some friends again for my 50th which is actually on the 22nd. No need to bring gifts, just great to see friends anytime! I need to get Carrigain out of the way this weekend for it to actually be 48x2 so I'm hoping the oncoming cold doesn't take my wind away! I should be able to give more firm info on the Cannon hike later on. It is unlikely that I would reschedule as I tend to hike in inclimate weather by choice! Hope to see some folks there!;)

Sage has been asking to hike Cannon...we're going to time it with your peak party. Maybe Hugh can bring Alex up the tram so she can see you too. Looking forward to it!

Sage has been asking to hike Cannon...we're going to time it with your peak party. Maybe Hugh can bring Alex up the tram so she can see you too. Looking forward to it!

Trish,

On Dave's 1st finish on Cannon I was in full leg cast and crutches and road the Tram up...it's a nice way to still be included on a finish!! ;)

Alex's cast is way nicer than my black one was!!! :D

If Hugh isn't around I'm sure she'd be fine going up with others riding up...I may be skiing that day if weather is good and would take her up...;):

Thanks, Darl! If this works out, he'll be there to bring Alex. Sage wants to ski down, so we'll trade kids at the summit. I'll hike up with Sage and ride down with Alex, he'll ride up with Alex and ski down with Sage. It does still count if you ski down, yes? This would be Sage's way of checking off this peak. Hike up with Mama, ski down with Papa.

Darl, your amazing accomplishments since your recovery give me great hope for Alex!

Dave, thanks for making this a public event. Should be fun!

My recollection is that if you try to get on the tram carrying skis, they will insist that you've paid for a ski area lift ticket, whereas if you're clearly just a pedestrian you can get the reduced-rate tram-ride-only ticket. Just something to be aware of in your planning, you might need to send up her skis separately with a hiker or with someone who's skiing that day.

EDIT: kids 5 and under ski for free anyway with a paid adult, so you might not have to worry about this at all. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, MJ. We were planning on getting her a lift ticket, which is no problem since, as you say, kids 5 and under are free. :D

DaveBear, is there anything you'd like other hikers to bring?

Right now I'm just trying to get to the weekend and come up with a chunk of stamina to go out to Carrigain! Poor timing on flu-like symptoms the last few days and coughing so hard all my stomach muscles are pulled and hurt! Yeah, I know that's a big area to hurt!;) Anyone up for Carrigain this weekend is welcome to join me!

Thor and I hiked Carrigain yesterday so this will be able to be a 48x2 hike as well. It's not a grid finish or single season 48 or any other major accomplishment but it feels great to have summited well over one hundred peaks since finishing the NH48 4K list two years ago. I'm planning to go up Lonesome Lake Trail and possibly take a quick trip over to Northeast Cannonball on the way to the summit. I have not decided on my exit route and will be hiking with Thor. I have seen that dogs are not allowed at Cannon. Has this ever presented a problem for people hiking up there? If necessary I will go back down off the way I came up instead of coming down KRT. I will try to plan my start so that I arrive at the summit around noon or shortly after.;)

I've done Cannon several times with different dogs. I can think of the following dog-unfriendly aspects of the hike:
* The ladder on the Hi-Cannon Trail can be very challenging for a canine.
* Most winters there's an ice flow that drops off across the KRT coming up from Coppermine Col, keep the dog on a short leash and watch yourself for those 3 or 4 steps.
* Dogs aren't allowed in the summit lodge, it being a food service establishment.

In other words, don't go inside and watch out for slick spots. I can't think of a reason why a practiced winter hiking dog with a conscientious owner couldn't hike Cannon.

Mike, Guess I misread the Franconia State Park info - "Pets are permitted in the designated dog walks near the Tramway and Flume parking lots only, not in the campground. "
Thanks for the other advice as well! I don't plan to approach by High Cannon with him and was more concerned about coming down KRT. Any place near skiers I will need to leash him because he gets excited by anything or anyone moving fast!

Looks like I will be leaving from Lafayette place around 7:00 -7:30am if I want to be sure of getting up top at noon. On the steeps I am about 30% over book time with a heavy pack. If I run behind schedule I may skip Northeast Cannonball and do it during FSB. I plan on bringing the grill and using it at the summit, not the summit lodge. If I find away to get the grill brought down the tram I will exit by KRT with Thor. Otherwise I will head back out by Lonesome Lake. Trying to keep myself to an early shedule so it does not wipe out the whole day for those that want to stop up! I'm off on Monday so plenty of time to recover or climb something else!;)

Bev may be doing the cake and ice cream at the family farm. If its not a huge crowd its possible friends that want to could go up for a bit and enjoy some R & R there!

Sage and I will hike up and be there by noon (I hope). Sage will ski down with Hugh after the celebration, and I will take Alex down via tram (she'll have come up with Hugh).

I can therefore take your grill down on the tram, if you like.

I might ski Cannon that day and come by the top for your arrival; however, given the forecast winds I may hike it in the trees instead. Either way, hope to see you on top!