4K the Wimpy Way! (Hiking the Auto Road: 28-Mar-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Saturday, 28-March was such a beautiful weather day. I was wistfully thinking how nice it would be to skip the mixed trail conditions of soft-snow, icy spots, muddy spots, etc., and somehow be magically transported to a sunny spot above tree line with some great views.

I couldn’t come up with a way to be “magically transported”. So I thought, why not just completely wimp-out and hike the Mt. Washington Auto Road up to the area of the 4-mile post. This gets you to 4K feet and above tree line. During this “shoulder season” for the Auto Road you have the place all to yourself. There is no commercial activity in terms of vehicular traffic (snow coach, vans, cars, etc), and there’s no other activities going on such as skiing, races, etc.

It was nice to have a firm surface underfoot! I didn’t bother to pack snowshoes, but I did bring along my old Stabilicers just in case there were some icy patches. There was certainly no need for snowshoes since large segments of road had no snow whatsoever, and the lingering snowy patches had been firmly consolidated by SnowCat activity of prior weeks. On the way up, there was only one short icy segment where I put on Stabilicers. However, by the time I came back down, things had softened to the point that it was bare-bootable the entire way.

Since I think nearly everyone has been on the Auto Road in one way or the other, I won’t bore you with a cavalcade of photos.

I just went slightly beyond the 4-mile post, and in this vicinity, the "star-attractions" are close-up views of Madison, Adams, and Jefferson. The view of Jefferson is particularly close-up. You almost feel you could reach out and touch the “Jefferson Knees” extending from the main summit. As you’re coming back down the Auto Road, you’re bombarded with scenic distant views off to the north & east, and with close-up views of the Carter and Wildcat Ranges.

Madison & Adams View
100_1334.JPG

Jefferson View
100_1342.JPG

Carters View
100_1346.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
You know, some folks despise the Auto Road (for its nasty habit of attracting overweight tourists in Hawaiin shirts and shorts :D ), but it is what it is and occasionally it can serve a purpose even to us hikers! Looks like you had a great day. An interesting perspective to be seen!

Brian

P.S. For the record....never been on the Auto road, either car or foot, for either its entire length or just a short section. ;)

Wow...the auto Road DOES have a purpose! VIEWS (in the winter so as to not be obscured by they overweight tourists in those nasty shorts and Hawiian shirts!)...

I'm one of those that really just doesn't like the whole autoroad thing...hm...maybe in the winter it isn't the evil thing I've always thought it was.

I've also never been on the Auto Road (except to cross) - really interesting to see the beautiful views from there! Another different perspective to consider - thanks for the great report and photos, John!

4K the Wimpy Way

I'm not going to argue if the road should be there or not but if you want to experience Mt. Washington in a different mode, try cycling up the damn thing. You get all the views you want (if you haven't passed out from hyperventilating) while helping global warming by sucking up all the car exhausts. And no, you cannot ride down. I can't think of a worse thing to do to your body other than the road race.

You know, some folks despise the Auto Road (for its nasty habit of attracting overweight tourists in Hawaiin shirts and shorts :D ), but it is what it is and occasionally it can serve a purpose even to us hikers!
Thanks everyone for your comments! Probably there have been proponents & opponents of the Auto Road ever since its inception and eventual completion in 1861. And perhaps Brian expressed it best in his comment when he said that the Auto Road “is what it is”.

Anyway, speaking purely for myself, I sort of view the Auto Road as a “device” like a radio, or a lawnmower, or whatever. By that I mean, it’s a “thing” that’s there to be used, but only if you choose to use it. Personally, I think if you choose to use the Auto Road “device”, then it’s best to do it when you have the place all to yourself, like during a shoulder-season when there’s no vehicular traffic or other activities going on. During these brief periods, the Auto Road basically becomes a paved trail going up the mountain (and more often than not, you’re the only one on it!).;)

Thanks, Spaderman! And why not? Sounds (and looks) like you had a good day up there.

FWIW, while I can relate to the "purist" sentiments regarding summit auto roads such as this, I'll never forget how excited my mom was to tell me about the day that she and my dad drove up Mt. Washington, a few years before her death. Neither she nor Dad were ever hikers, and rarely did they venture out of our rural county in PA, so that little vacation to New England, and the drive up the mountain, was a big deal. She had never seen anything like it and was simply awestruck by the beauty. I'm so happy that the road was there and that they were able to experience it.

Ridgerunner, I think yours is the best kind of story about the Auto Road. Yes, we don't want roads up all the mountains, and yes, as hikers we wish more people would experience the mountains "our" way under their own power. But there are many who cannot or would not have the chance to experience the beauty of the mountains without things like the Auto Road, and I think that is something to remember. The road does serve a purpose. And, if you don't want the crowds, there are many other mountains to hike!