5/24 Saddleback Jr & Ephram Ridge (ME)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
ah, the list is down to precious few...i was planning an ambitious (for me) two days and hoping for the best...first semi-serious multiday hikes in almost a year... watched my Cs get trounced, got 3 1/2 hours of sleep and off to

Saddleback Jr-3640'--none of the route possibilities were particularly appealing-from route 4 on AT (a very long up/down slog over Saddleback and the Horn (which i had no reason to visit), ditto for up the ski trails at Saddleback (close to 4700' of "ups"--too much for rest of my 2 day plans)--possibly in to AT and across Poplar Ridge or maybe tangle with the Navy on the Redington side?

After looking at maps and sat pics, i decided to try to reach the AT near Saddleback Jr from the East Madrid side (Delorme page 29), just a guess, couldn't find anyone who'd tried-worth a shot as it would be about 8+? miles and 2300' of ascent, much less than other choices. Because of a number of iffy access issues, let's just say i went thru Farmington, up Rt 4 to Phillips, north on Rt 142 to E Madrid Rd, up past Barjum Rd (hi Mayor if you're reading), then Potato Hill Rd and finally a network of roads, trails and whacks which brought me out about 0.4 miles west of Saddleback Jr on the AT. It was excellent going most of the way which allowed the hammer to be put down, but when i hit the AT, i realized i had about 650' more ascent over a nasty set of roots and rocks (often steep). I try to hike in ideal weather these days, but i'm getting a bit crazy to finish my project and took a chance-sorry, was rain and mist all morning, but decent temps all day--soaked, glasses usless--and the AT rocks/roots were treacherous.

As i approached the top, i hit a false summit and in the soup couldn't even see the real one maybe 100 yds away. Small cairn on false summit, large one on real top. The views must be stunning from here, but i saw the same thing i did years ago on SB Sr and the Horn--nothing. Windy, cool, soaked-turned rapidly to descend--rocks were a chore coming down. Nothing out of the ordinary--thankfully saw nobody all day-area dotted with camps and heavily, though generically signed to ward off all matter of evil that may befall one; i'd steer clear of here around hunting season. Rested a bit at the car and then headed thru Rangeley (gas is cheap at the Irving), toward Oquossoc on Rt 16 and to

Ephram Ridge-2710'-another "no-beta" hike. Near the "Spotteds" where i and people who help me have been, but..rather than try the Dodge Pond, Round approach like for Spotted, i went in the Quimby Pond road. Very "different" from most places i hike-lots of money, much of it from "away", nice roads and serious $ housing "developments" appearing. I drove in as far as i could-parked where sign said "welcome to use, but no vehicles" By now the sun, heat and blackflies (absent on Junior) had appeared. I was able to take a series of roads to the base of the Ridge and just head "up". Easy going thru open, moderately sloped woods for a bit, but then 0.2 miles of "eating dirt" steepness, 250'/0.1 mile stuff for awhile.

The top was wooded, but open-good views of Spotteds. A longish search produced no jar/pill bottle and there should be one. Top seems obvious, but no trees near "the spot"-don't think i could miss it-possible not on JPs list, but more likely removed/broken as peak is close to civilization. Blackflies made hamburger of me up there. Descent easy except steeps. Tired, but felt pretty decent considering the day's effort. Perhaps my last visit to Rangely-sounds like a farewell tour this year, but i'll miss Stratton, Jackman, Ashland, Fort Kent, etc--it's been a joy.

Headed to the Roadhouse--i know it's not for everyone, but suits my needs perfectly. Burger at the Loony Moose and 9 PM bedtime.

and then there was Fri 5/25---next TR

jim

Last edited: