5/25/09 - Mount Carrigain - Failed Attempt - Pick a Title

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobit

Reaction score
Welp, I will let you pick the title for this report. You have two choices:

• Tobit Beaten by Two Girls
  • Trish's Report will be better than Tobit's
:p

This morning, I met up with Trish and her famous daughter Alex at the parking lot for the Signal Ridge Trail on Sawyer Bridge Road. Trish and Alex had already planned this hike for their 33rd NH 4K and I decided to tag along to see if I couldn't handle a hike of this size. At 10 mi. round trip, this was to be my largest single day hike to date.

By 7:30am we had "boots on trail" and were setting a really nice pace through the woods. An hour later, we were already at the 1.7 mile mark where the Carrigain Notch Trail meets the Signal Ridge Trail. Here is the one weird note of the day took place. On the ground in the dirt and using branches, someone had spelled out the word HELP in multiple locations at the junction. However, there was no clear direction as to where the help was needed nor any other information. Rather than automatically assuming it was a prank, Trish scouted down the Carrigain Notch Trail for a few minutes looking for any more "clues" while I scouted ahead on the Signal Ridge Trail. Finding nothing more except for a handful of beer bottle caps, we determined that it was likely just some type of Tom Foolery and we proceeded on our way.

Around the 2.7 mi. mark, near the end of the steep switchbacks, my knee and feet joints were stating to ache and get stiff. I knew I could probably push my way, slowly, onto the summit. However, when this happens, I know my hiking is about to end as my joints would only get stiffer especially if I took it slow and rested. Pushing my way to the top would have made for a very slow descent pace and, not wanting to spoil Trish and Alex's 34th peak, I bid a farewell to my hiking companions and sat on a rock while I ate my lunch before descending to the parking lot alone.

My descent was pretty uneventful and, in a way and although disappointed, I was kind of glad I decided to head down early as I passed quite a few hikers heading up on my way down. The summit was in for quite a few visitors today. I made it to the parking lot safe and sound around noon-thirty (12:30 :p ) and more stiff than actually sore.

I continue to be frustrated with not being in proper shape to hike all these hikes I want to hike. I think my weight combined with my arthritis and right knee problem work together to compound the issues. I've tried to lighten my pack as much as possible for safe hiking in the Whites. With my pack on, my feet and legs are trying to move over 300 lbs. up these mountains.

However, although beaten and battered, I still had an awesome 5.4-ish mile hike in the woods today. I also finally had the pleasure of meeting Trish and Alex. They are both terrific hiking companions and Alex is truly amazing. I look forward to more hikes with them both.

Edit: I am quite anxious to read Trish's report. I am quite confident in their abilities to have successfully bagged this 33rd peak today. The weather was awesome although it might have been a tad windy on the summit.

Picture Gallery: http://tobit.hlrse.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=240&g2_page=1

2ikd445.jpg

Last edited:
That was "us" who passed by you before you abandoned your effort. Got to see Trish and Alex complete their goal. You accomplished a lot for your condition. Keep at it!!

Mount Carrigan - Torbit's First Attempt

A fine trip report and pictures! Carrigain is one of the best hikes in the Whites and at 10 miles rt a good distance. The views are unsurpassed. Sorry you had to turn back but on the upside you had the opportunity to hike with Trish and Alex. I am sure you will have another chance to tackle the mountain soon.
Little D:)

Tobit, it was a real pleasure hiking with you. We very much look forward to your company again, hopefully in the near future. (I'll post a TR tomorrow night, probably late.)