52 With a View - Mt. Meader

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenPeaks

Reaction score
I've noticed on the 52 with a view list Mt. Meader is listed as Eagle Crag/Mt. Meader. These are two very distinct peaks that are about 2 miles apart. It's like listing Mt. Lincoln as Little Haystack/Mt. Lincoln.

My question is which peak is the one that needs to be bagged to complete the list? I've done them both and they both have views, but the listing is confusing. Perhaps we should change the name to 53 with a view. :eek:

I don't know any official answer and am not an authority on this list, but I take it to mean you have to hike the ridge between the two to get credit for it which I have done. It is a nice stretch of trail. Another thing I thought is that the total number of peaks is 52 so that it complements the NH 48 4,000 footers, so that makes an even 100. So please don't suggest 53. You can always find nice peaks with views but I am working on the 52 and don't want any additional ones added to the list. So far some were so-so but most were worth the trek. Two of my favorites were Percy Peak & Chocorua.

52 wav

I checked with some Over The Hill Hikers folks who origionally came up with the list..Their thoughts were, much like Welch and Dickey being listed together,usually done as a loop, and counting as 1, that the Eagle Crag and Meader viewpoints would be usually be done as a loop and with not much of a col between them would count as 1 also..It is a fine section of trail all through there for sure ..

And just as a general heads up, the keepers of the 52 wav list are bringing up for a vote at the next meeting the possibility of removing the sketchy view on Wolf from the list and replacing it with Mount Roberts in the Ossipee Range...keeping to the 100 thing

Last edited:
And just as a general heads up, the keepers of the 52 wav list are bringing up for a vote at the next meeting the possibility or removing the sketchy view on Wolf from the list and replacing it with Mount Roberts in the Ossipee Range...keeping to the 100 thing
Definitely a winner! Mount Roberts has very good views, both from the summit and on the trail.

Thanks for the info. I really like the 52 with a view list. I'm at 43 and have explored lots of areas I probably never would have thought of hiking to. Many of these hikes have lots of solitude since they are not as popular as the 4K footers or other well known hikes.

The 52 wav is quite an interesting list..first compiled when some of the original OTHH members tired of the 4ks..My favs off that list include Percy Peak, Parker, and Mt Israel...good stuff..

I agree with the "sketchy view", but we did get some good pictures anyway last week from Wolf. It did seem like a lot of work for the small ledge view.