6'5"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
My brother-in-law is 6'5" and he'd like to get a sea kayak. His pant size is 36/36 so it's tight for him getting into most kayaks. I'm doing some research on kayaks for taller people and was wondering if anyone here is as tall and is happy with the kayak they paddle. I was thinking of two boats. The WS Tsunami 175 or the Perception Essecne 17.

He'd like to keep the whole package under $2,000 so a plastic boat around $1,500 sounds about right.

Your thoughts?
Thanks a lot.

it's going to be one very very heavy boat.

Email Darren (the owner of VFTT) I think he's like 6'4" or something and has a composite P&H Orion... or at least had one, the last time I've paddled with him.

Jay

Thanks for that. I'll send him an e-mail.
Someone I talked with did actually recommend a P&H...the Scorpio...designed for taller people. And it's a plastic boat which is what he wants. The only thing is it's a material called corelite with a foam core. :( Doing some research on it. P&H says it wont absorb water in case of puncture.
I saw another one for taller people, from Perception...the Essence. Looks like an option for him as well.
Thanks again.

Hey WW...thanks for the info. Do you mind if I ask what your waist size is? Don't mean to get personal here...it's just that I want my brother in law to feel confident when shopping around. PM me if you want.
Thanks a lot!

Hey WW...thanks for the info. Do you mind if I ask what your waist size is? Don't mean to get personal here...it's just that I want my brother in law to feel confident when shopping around. PM me if you want.
Thanks a lot!

38...I saw a couple reviews HERE that all mentioned the size of this boat, so I'd guess it would fit.

I'm 6' 4 1/2" and pants are 34x34. (I was 36x34 the last few years and started pushed my way up to 38x34, but I said enough is enough and 6 weeks of effort got me back down to my college size of 34). So anyway, the only real difference between me and your brother in law is the leg length. His extra 2 inches of leg length could require a little extra deck height (from some extra freeboard). But we should be in the same ballpark. The only other thing to worry about is shoe size. Since longer legs put feet deeper into the boat, it can get too narrow to fit yout feet. I have size 13 feet so see what he has.

I paddle a P&H Orion. It is not listed on their website, but you can still custom order them. Awesome boat. It is fiberglass and I think it weighs like 47 or 49 lbs. Highly recommend the P&H boats.

If he gets a plastic boat that fits him, it will be heavy as a tank. My first boat was a Wilderness Systems Sealoution II XL. The XL was the big and tall version. They dont make it anymore. It is a battleship. It's like 60 lbs. Good for multiday trips because you can load everything but the kitchen sink. It is a lot to handle on a day trip though. I still have it, might sell it to him...

Is there a reason he wants plastic? If it is just cost, then I highly, highly recommend he buy a used boat (I recommend that for everyone buying a first boat). He can get a much better used glass boat for the same price of a new plastic boat.

But anyway, you mentioned the P&H Scorpio. My friends Sam and Carl at Osprey Sea Kayak Adventures have a used one for $1400:

http://www.ospreyseakayak.com/index.php?section=55

I've never paddled one, but maybe I could check it out for you. (just checked the P&H website - it is 63 lbs! yikes! you either have to be the governator or always paddle with a buddy)

But then they also have a nice Valley Argonaut kevlar boat for only $1800. That is supposed to be ok for larger paddlers but I haven't tried one. Certainly worth giving them a call or swinging by. Let me know if you do, I'm like 5 minutes from the shop.

- darren

ps: the Current Designs Gulfstream is essentially the same boat as my P&H Orion. They are a production boat and can be found in numbers on the second hand market (there are literally only a handful P&H Orions in the US).

pps: just saw that my friend Dave is selling his (very) used Gulfstream:

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=6913

Last edited:
I'm also a 36-inch waist, and have no problem slipping into or out of a keyhole cockpit. In my opinion, 60 lbs. is not particularly heavy for a long touring kayak. My 17-foot FG boat is 50+lbs. and quite manageable, and I'm picking up a 62lb. plastic kayak next weekend for use on Georgian Bay.

Thanks guys. A lot of great info here. I wish I was the one buying a boat.

Good pointer on the shoe size Darren. Never thought of that. Will keep in mind. Thanks.

Like I said, cost might be an issue so plastic might be the only option. If not, I'll steer him towards something lighter and even second hand. I have a WS Tempest and it weighs about 60 lbs. Seems to be fine for me. I guess I need to "get out more." ;)

Be well.

I've never paddled one, but maybe I could check it out for you. (just checked the P&H website - it is 63 lbs! yikes! you either have to be the governator or always paddle with a buddy)

- darren

My boat too is a heavy one (used Tempest 170) it's a battleship and I always paddle with a buddy, right Chris ;) It does get lighter after you drink all the Saranacs :cool:

My boat too is a heavy one (used Tempest 170) it's a battleship and I always paddle with a buddy, right Chris ;) It does get lighter after you drink all the Saranacs :cool:

Know what you mean - don't think I mentioned the weight of my Eclipse - a whopping 63# itself.