7.27- North Twin & Forgot My Boots at Home

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighHorse

Reaction score
Got the rare chance to hike with some company as I was joined by my brother today to hike North Twin. In the excitement of outfitting him with all types of my gear I pulled the ultimate bonehead move and forgot my boots at home. I didn't realize this until we were at the trailhead, so I was forced to hike in my floppy old New Balance 575s with holes in them. While I wasn't happy about it, I enjoyed having lighter feet on the ascent, and we cruised to the top reaching the summit in less than two hours (including breaks).

What a great hike this is. The trail has great footing, is pleasantly graded, and features marvelous scenery just about the entire way. I just enjoyed myself tremendously today, and it was great chatting it up with my brother. The Little River crossings were beautiful, interesting, and seem like they would be challenging in high water. The hike along the river is spectacular- there are a number of interesting glacial erratics and along one stretch of trail you feel "tucked in" to a "corridor" between the Little River and a great stretch of rock. Also got in a bit of impromptu bouldering at the lookout at the false summit. Today was a good day.

my worst fear

I always stick two pair of boots (along with most everything else) in the car the night before the hike. And since I'm typically getting up early when I'm not at my most alert, I'll layout the clothes (complete with wallet) I expect to wear that night too.

bob, that's probably a very good idea. it's just that some days i wake up and don't even know if i'm gonna hike or where i am going (i often decide on the way up).

I did this hike on Sunday and agree with your sentiments on the trail.

Took very few pictures- funny thing was that at trailhead could see the stars, sun came up and it looked nice. Around 4k the clouds rolled in. Changes happended so fast, you can see from the pix that the picture of the "view" sign was in the clear, and 2 minutes later the view pix were all clouds. VERY windy up top with wet cool fog. Was planning on a longer hike but decided to turn around. On way down, took a picture of the view, and 1 minute later that view was gone.

Rained when I hit the river crossings.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=436001828

Last edited: