8/31 Giant and Rocky Ridge via RidgeTrail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooly

Reaction score
Sunday was such a beauty of a day and i got to spend it on my first trip into the ADK's. Mookie finally convinced me to take a break from the Whites and head over to Vt for the weekend to hike there and for a day trip to NY. I'm sure glad i did! I've only seen the 'dacks from afar and never understood the majesty and beauty they possess until i arrived there.

The parking area was loaded with cars and people who were gearing up to climb, hike, paddle and lounge around in the warm mid morning sun. We wasted no time and immediately began our hike up the Ridge Trail. Every thing seemed a little different to me... the air, the woods and trail itself. Perhaps it was my senses heightened from being in a new place...whatever it was...i liked it!

As we climbed, numerous peaks emerged from being tucked behind closer ridges. The mountains seemed to grow higher and more vast with our gained elevation. The sharply defined ridgelines against a nearly perfect blue sky caused me to constantly admire them at almost every opportunity.

We opted to summit Rocky Ridge before Giant so we turned right at the junction after a quick snack. The trail down was fairly steep but fun and the ascent up to the peak was really forgiving so we made decent time. The view was spectacular! I snapped a few photos, had a quick snack and water and headed back to Giant. Only this ascent wasn't as easy...it kind of busted my butt a bit, but was well worth it after we summited Giant. A few people were scattered along the ridge, snacking and soaking up the warm sun. Mookie had noticed a couple with two small children, one in a child carrier and another in a front pack that may have only been a few months old. We had quick discussion about how brave they were and the somewhat challenging terrain they faced going down.

The topic of ice cream came up in the conversation and we decided it was time to bail. We hiked out quickly with aching knees and ice cream on the brain. I'm hoping that it'll be sooner rather than later that i find myself on a trail in the ADK's...2 down...44 more to go!

haha

haha,
thanks for writing up the report b. im still waiting for photos.
cant wait to get into the great range.

gooly said:
The topic of ice cream came up in the conversation and we decided it was time to bail. We hiked out quickly with aching knees and ice cream on the brain. I'm hoping that it'll be sooner rather than later that i find myself on a trail in the ADK's...2 down...44 more to go!

Mmmmmm... ice cream! did you go to the Noonmark for ice cream or Stewarts? I think ice cream sundaes were the ice cream on flavor at Stewarts this past weekend. :D

Giant and RPR are very nice peaks, did you see anybody running up RPR?

Jay

jay, we hit up stewarts for ice cream, then when back in burlington (after a shower) we hit up ri-ra for beers and dinner.
we saw one man running up giant, he was seriously quick. came running back down and then we later saw him hiking up with his wife.

" did you see anybody running up RPR?"
why, were you in the dak's this weeken? :D

No, but seems like everytime I hike RPR or Giant, I get passed by at one guy who seems to run up RPR like every day or something. I would suspect he is either in his upper 40s or 50s and in obvious great shape. But when I finished my 46 on RPR last year, We were chillin' on the summit of RPR and up comes this guy all sweaty and stuff, said Hello, he said Hello and immediated turned tail to run back down towards the Giant/RPR col. Then we saw him again down by the Giant's Washbowl on Round#2...

I've run into a guy in the Catskills running up Overlook from the green at Woodstock, but not the same guy.

Jay

jay,
the man that passed us was clearly in amazing shape!! he was very very thin, looked like a marathon runner for sure.
he was probably in his 50's and was from north of the border. gooly tried to speak to him but his english was about as good as our french.

Yeah, that guy was quick! It's not too often i hear " hey gooly...someone is coming up on us!" I think i said "man you're guick" and he responded " it's nice air" or something like that. Whatever, the man could move!

Stewarts' hand packed pints of pb chocolate rules!!

PHP:

did you even taste it? you had that pint gone before we hit the bridge to VT (from the Port Henry stewarts---not very far)! maybee i was just jealous because i was driving and had a hard time eating mine............ :p

mookie said:
PHP:

did you even taste it? you had that pint gone before we hit the bridge to VT (from the Port Henry stewarts---not very far)! maybee i was just jealous because i was driving and had a hard time eating mine............ :p

Can you guys please stop talking about ice cream??!!

Hey, nice trip reports Gooly - sounds like a fun scramble to the summit and a beautiful hike in the ADKs :) Were the ladders a problem on Mansfield last time...?? ;)

Giant Mt was my first ADK peak and Rocky will be my last. :cool:

yup

Leaf It was not my first but will be last as I'd like to do it from rt. 9 over bald peak and end at the washbowl. Plus great views and somewhat short as to celebrtate later :D ...How many have you gotten to? Me 21 so far..yea!!! :p

I've got 23! And will hopefully bag a couple more this weekend. I'd say let's race, but I live nearly 5 hours away so I think you might have a little bit of an advantage. :p

I decided to end on Rocky because Giant is a special peak for me (i know, i know.. awww.. :rolleyes: ) .. so once I summit Rocky, I'd love to go over to Giant and celebrate.
Won't be a dry eye on that rock! Kidding. ;)

Haven't been on that peak since '95.

did you even taste it? you had that pint gone before we hit the bridge to VT (from the Port Henry stewarts---not very far)! maybee i was just jealous because i was driving and had a hard time eating mine............

Yeah man...it was delicious! i should have offer to drive when i finished mine so you could eat yours....but i was full... :D