9/21 Moriah/Carter/Wildcat Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooly

Reaction score
Wow...thank god for trekking poles, knee replacement surgeries and ice cream, because i needed all three to do this a$$ whomper!

Mookie and myself left a quiet (at that time) Barnes @ 5 am and drove over to the Carter-Moriah Trail in Gorham. We geared up and started our journey in the dark under overcast skies with a nice breeze and fairly mild temps. We wasted no time and began trooping @ 5:30. Shortly after our assault of the steady uphill grade, we were startled by a snort/grunt/growl and then a fairly heavy thrashing through the forest all within maybe 20-30 feet ahead of us. Perhaps a bear? We then decided to carry on bit louder conversation so as to not be startled again.

The climb up to Moriah was long and seemed endless but we made it just after 7:30. i dropped my pack to hit the peak and found a couple sleeping just off the trail(sorry if i woke you guys). Clouds consumed the top so there was no view to be had...a quick snack to refuel and we were off.

We trucked down Moriah to Imp in no time, passing 3 or 4 thru hikers and several others, pretty uneventful really. We had a few spotty views here and there. The real fun was the climb up North Carter, wasn't expecting that one! Thanks for the tip UFC!! We took a very deserved snack and water rest at the North Carter Trail junction(6 or 7 people on the peak)...almost 10 am. Our goal was to make it to the Carter Notch Hut by 1pm...

With a ways to go and a time quota to fill, we put our heads down and scampered ahead. I had opted to use my poles now. My knees were beginning to ache and this seemed to reduce the strain. The sun began to show itself more and it reflected on the temps...it's a really nice day. Up and over Middle Carter and on to South Carter and a quick snack at Zeta Pass. I thoroughly enjoyed the climb up the fairly steep grade of Mt Hight, this was my favorite of the day. The view had been the best of the day as well... and the sun was out. We admired briefly and sped off to tackle Carter Dome, which we reached in no time. Time check...11:45am.

The hellacious climb down Carter Dome was tough on my knees and on one of Mookie's poles. We had passed a couple of women on the Dome and they said we had some fun ahead of us...they weren't joking. The view was intense as i gawked out into Carter Notch...it is a beautiful place. We finally made it to the hut for lunch, foot repairs and water @ precisely 1 pm.

Our 20 minute break at the hut made me realize how tired i had become but with the Wilcats remaining we pushed on. The climb up to Wildcat Mtn nearly blew the wind out of my sails. Sore knees and a full belly made this part of the journey my least favorite. Once on the ridge, i was feeling better but our pace had definitely slowed. At this point i think i was in a "i'm ready to be out of here" mode until we reached the observation deck. A third wind (or was it the fourth?) came over me to start the long and steep descent back to my car parked at the Glen Ellis lot. Thoughts of ice cream were the source of motivation through out the day, and now it would be a reality soon. My knees were hating me by the time we crossed 16 and got to my car at 4:30 pm. Time for ice cream and a three hour drive home. What a kick-a$$ day!!! :D

Last edited:
Glad to hear you guys made it! Nice meeting you the other night -- wish we could have chatted more. Come to the next gathering!

-Dr. Wu

ah cmon! wasnt that bad!!!! thanks to the moleskin!!!!! yup, i sacraficed one trekking pole, oh welp!
was not expecting the climb up north carter, as everyone warned us about the wildcats and carter dome being bad, which i guess i could see coming up from 16. the hike up wildcat from carter notch was a bit of a butt kicker-would not have made it without fueling up at the hut.
i think it was a wicked awesome day. i think the thought of ice cream helped the trek down wildcat.

"At this point i think i was in a "i'm ready to be out of here" mode until we reached the observation deck. A third wind (or was it the fourth?)" i think i may have been on my 12th wind at that point.

nice meeting some new folks on saturday night-even though i was lame and crashed wicked early. wish i could have stayed up and partied, but we wanted to be on the trail for 5:30 so we could get home at a reasonable time sunday night.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you guys made it! Nice meeting you the other night -- wish we could have chatted more. Come to the next gathering!

It was good to meet you as well...sorry i was a super lame-o and went to bed at 9:30 but my mommy called and said i should rest... :eek:

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Great effort and trip report! Any reason that you guys went north to south rather than the reverse? I am always looking for the "elevation advantage."

no particular reason, although we thought that it would be cool if we could have hiked a little bit of the traverse with mats.

- Mookie and gooly go to bed early Saturday, and do a wicked hardcore hike Sunday.
- Others stay up late, and do a wicked hardcore breakfast and...well, you get the idea.

I don't think anyone can fault you guys for an early exit...even though I wish gooly had at least stayed up long enough one night for me to actually meet him. I'm beginning to wonder if he's not just mookie's imaginary friend. :p

Jason

please

ferrisjrf said:
- Mookie and gooly go to bed early Saturday, and do a wicked hardcore hike Sunday.
- Others stay up late, and do a wicked hardcore breakfast and...well, you get the idea.

I don't think anyone can fault you guys for an early exit...even though I wish gooly had at least stayed up long enough one night for me to actually meet him. I'm beginning to wonder if he's not just mookie's imaginary friend. :p

Jason

please,
my imaginary friends are wayyyyy cooler than gooly!

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
Nice job guys! So I'm curious, did you think it was harder than a Presi Traverse?

i think it was tougher than a presi traverse. seemed more difficult to keep a steady pace up on this traverse. after washington the presi traverse seems pretty mild.

Nice job guys! So I'm curious, did you think it was harder than a Presi Traverse?

I felt that this was a bit more physically demanding than a presi traverse...harder to stay in a groove...i think i was in better shape for the presi, but also didn't hike the day before that :confused:

Mookie and gooly go to bed early Saturday, and do a wicked hardcore hike Sunday.

I don't think anyone can fault you guys for an early exit...even though I wish gooly had at least stayed up long enough one night for me to actually meet him. I'm beginning to wonder if he's not just mookie's imaginary friend.

Oh, I'm real...for sure...but having a hiking partner like mookie i wish i wasn't sometimes... :rolleyes:

Yeah i was definitely lame saturday night..Iso trip made me tired...sorry guys

Juniper's breakfast pics are still making me hungry...that place has a mean b-fast!!! :D

Great effort and trip report! Any reason that you guys went north to south rather than the reverse? I am always looking for the "elevation advantage."

I'd imagine going south to north would be harder with the initial climb up the Wildcat Ridge Trail and then the monster assault up to Carter Dome...

mookie said:
...nice meeting some new folks on saturday night-even though i was lame and crashed wicked early. wish i could have stayed up and partied, but we wanted to be on the trail for 5:30 so we could get home at a reasonable time sunday night.
This is all wrong... too much logic and not enough partying. Heck, the next thing you'll be in Lake Placid golfing!! :eek: ;)

gooly said:
I'd imagine going south to north would be harder with the initial climb up the Wildcat Ridge Trail and then the monster assault up to Carter Dome...

Coming down Wildcat E was the slowest, most challenging descent I've ever done. And I only did the Wildcats (up 19MBT, down WRT.) I will prefer the reverse in the future. I did the Carter-Moriah Traverse South-North (up 19MBT, down Stony Brook) in June. Down North Carter resembles down Wildcat E, but not for as long. Up CMT from Carter Notch resembles up Wildcat A - I'm pretty sure that either way across Carter Notch is about the same.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Coming down Wildcat E was the slowest, most challenging descent I've ever done. And I only did the Wildcats (up 19MBT, down WRT.) I will prefer the reverse in the future. I did the Carter-Moriah Traverse South-North (up 19MBT, down Stony Brook) in June. Down North Carter resembles down Wildcat E, but not for as long. Up CMT from Carter Notch resembles up Wildcat A - I'm pretty sure that either way across Carter Notch is about the same.

Tim

so basically your saying either way carter notch sucks?
lol

mookie said:
so basically your saying either way carter notch sucks?
lol

No. I'm saying I don't think it matters which way you go - if you are crossing it - it is steep on both sides. I have decided though having gone up Wildcat A and down Wildcat E that in the future I will try to go the other way. Yes, it is steep going up Wildcat A, but the footing is better than Wildcat E. Others who've done it more times than I may certainly have a different opinion.

Tim

just joking

it wasnt that bad anyway, i was just joking. :D
it definately didnt suck, as a matter of fact it was fantastic and it was a great and challenging hike. i would like to try it south to north next time though just for comparison.