A Crazy and Wild(cat) Adventure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
There's nothing like the challenge that waits when someone tells you "You definitely should not go up that trail, it's way too dangerous, and no one has been up there for weeks." This sums up what MEB, Andy and I heard from the AMC workers at Pinkham, regarding the approach to Wildcat A from the hut. Hmmmm, sounds like it might be interesting!!

So.....we wanted to get both A and D, but were weary about traversing the ridge. Lately, we've been squirreling around, trying to navigate and find trails in all this snow!! So, we decided that we'd hit D, then shoot over to 19 mile and hit A.

We were at the Wildcat ski area shortly before 6am. In a moment of insanity, we decided to go PACKLESS....oohh the danger! We figured if anything happened the ski patrol would be out shortly and they could save us :D So, off we headed with coats tied around our waists, snowshoes televated, and cameras close by. There was enough morning glow so we didn't need to use our headlamps, and aside from the fact that I thought I was going to throw up my coffe and corn muffin, it was a pleasant hike. The views behind us were incredible, and soon the mtns were glowing in a beautiful pink light. At the summit the wind was screaming, so we got some quick summit pictures and then headed quickly back down. The groomed trails were great for skiing, but we didn't butt-slide because of the little bits of ice that we thought might tear our snowpants. We stayed to the sides of the trails, trying to make good use of the powder!!

Ok, 1 down, 1 to go!! We zoomed over to 19 mile and promptly ran into Una-dogger. Quick hellos and then we started off again. I was cold and tired....very tired, but I just followed the ever-energized MEB and before I knew it we were at the hut. We had a chance to chat with others, and then Andy, Mtn Pa, Davebear, MEB and I set out to do the impossible. Summit Wildcat A from the hut. Well, thanks to Mtn. Pa for pretty much breaking trail the whole way!! We did a fairly decent job of sticking to the trail, did a little squirreling, but finally found the trail again, and then the VIEWS...OMG, to see Mt. Washington and the northern pressis from the ridge....well, did you all know there's a lot of snow out there!!! At the outlook we took pictures and had super yummy snacks compliments of Mtn. Pa and then we headed back down. Andy, MEB and I caught some rays while we waited for Mtn.Pa to go and gather his stuff at the hut. Then we all headed down together. At the 1/2 way point MEB and I said our goodbyes, and then MEB pretty much ran to the car, while I scuried after!! I'm not sure where she gets all that energy.....

A crazy day in the mountains! It felt really good to make a plan and then get it done!!

Wild AND crazy! That pretty much sums up the Mean Sisters. :D

And Andy? Well, anyone who would go out with those two . . . . :eek:

Then, of course, they pick up some Mean Girl Groupies! What better day in the mountains?!?!

Wicked awesome weekend sis! As for crazy and adventurous I do recall the plan was your idea :p

Going up Wildcat and seeing the sunrise was just amazing...too bad it was too cold to enjoy it for any length of time. It was so refreshing though to be on a "packed" trail with no branches! I did take quite a few shots and if my computer is agreeable at home I'll try and put some on my webshots.

So, going up Wildcat A was another story. We pretty much lost the trail immediately.....but found it shortly thereafter. The "slide" was not too bad....yes, it can be scary, but taking our time we were able to make a nice solid path to the other side. All said and done it took us about 2 hours to go 7 tenths of a mile...yikes!

Many thank to Mnt Pa for doing most of the trailbreaking!

-MEB

Mad Townie said:
...Then, of course, they pick up some Mean Girl Groupies! What better day in the mountains?!?!

Guilty as charged :D

Drew shows up while I'm having waiting for breakfast with my coffee. Tries to talk me into joining him. "Only .7 miles. We'll be there in an hour and back here in 40 minutes." Five minutes into the hike MEB tells me about their conversation with the AMC people. I'm beginning to wonder if I've been conned. Fortunately I was full of energy from the previous night's turkey dinner and extreme hydrating and carbo-loading :cool:

Our best asset for this hike was a positive outlook and a lot of laughing.
Great hiking aids that don't add too much weight to your pack.

The Mean Girls takes on the Wild Cats :D

What episode is next?

Who needs American Idol and that kind of stuff!