a good cup o' joe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
Hey,

Any suggestions for brewing a good cup of coffee in a jetboil? I've tried those tea bag style brews - no good - and instant doesn't cut it either. Should I just throw a hand full of grounds in the pot? Anyone have any good ideas for this?

bob

I've been using the coffee kit that Jetboil makes for there personal cooking system. Use a good Kona grind and the coffee is pretty good. It is essentially a French Press and I've had good results with it. Give it a try, I think the kit is $20.

I am not sure if this will help, as I don't use a JB, but I do use several different stoves and a key factor for me is that the water is no longer boiling, but has cooled off for a minute or two. Do you have another vessel that you could use, or do you drink straight out of the JB pot?

I use several Coffee items that I find I won't go into the BC without.

1. Coughlins Filters - Ultralight weight and good for a 20oz mug of strong coffee. I don't think that in my coffee drinking backpacking life, I have ever taken a trip without having these little buddies in my pack.

2. MSR MugMate - Good for a very large mug of coffee. More Fragile and more expensive, but allows some of the finer silt to come through, giving you that french press taste. I find a smaller (2 oz?) Nalgene bottle fits inside the screen so it doesn't get crushed in the pack.

3. Note: This probably won't work with your JB, but for any other reason...... French Press
All joking aside, I received this as a gift a few years ago from a (obviously) well meaning non-backpacking friend. I tried it out on the kitchen stove several mornings and then threw it in my pack instead of a pot for some single overnighters and It was really awesome. I was absolutely impressed with it - It functions as a stainless steel pot, not much heavier than my old MSR cascade cook-set, that I can cook in, if I need to (Carry the larger lexan spoon) but for most of my needs, it is boiling water to rehydrate foods.

Another option is the Aeropress .

A little more weight and volume than some of the other options suggested. Makes a sort of psuedo-espresso that you can either drink straight or dilute with water to make a normal cup of joe.

aero_press_04.jpg

Two words- French Press

Big sky bistro mug works really well- I use it at home instead of an electric drip. Snow peak makes a titanium press that is expensive but works great. As others have mentioned Jet Boil makes a press too. My experience with that is that it does what it's supposed to- BOIL, and that burns the coffee.

Add sweetened condensed milk for cream and sugar.

sleeping bear said:
Two words- French Press

Big sky bistro mug works really well- I use it at home instead of an electric drip. Snow peak makes a titanium press that is expensive but works great. As others have mentioned Jet Boil makes a press too. My experience with that is that it does what it's supposed to- BOIL, and that burns the coffee.

This one rocks! Just attach it to yer cup and pour the hot water in. Works great.

-Dr. Wu

***** French Press :D
Could not live without it.
Starbuck's Yukon blend ground for French Press is my favorite. Verona is the runner-up.
I can only have one cup for brkfst so it has to be deeelicious!
The Bodum maker looks really good. I have the small pot at home and my stainless steel french press mug for the great outdoors. This was purchased at Starbucks.

sleeping bear said:

How long will that last on the trail?

I'm still looking for a good trail coffee solution. The in-cup french presses don't work for me because I do want to add milk and sugar.

I also tried one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/401153 and while it was better than instant, I'm not sold on it yet. I may give the Aeropress a shot.

Making morning coffee is serious business for me. I use regular triangular coffee filters (Mr Coffe type paper filters) loaded with enough grounds for the amt of coffee I'm making. I fold the corners over n over, in such a way the grounds won't leak out, then staple it shut. The amount of grounds depends on how strong you like your coffee. I use about 2 table spoons for my 10 oz.

Boiling instruction are critical..... Get the pot of water boiling, drop in one of my filters n slow boil it for a good 5 minutes, no less! If you like stronger.... boil longer.

Enjoy!

Here are some decent offerings from REI

http://www.rei.com/search?query=french+press+cup&button.x=0&button.y=0

What you might want to do is get some of the small individual prepackaged half and half containers that some diners give you with your coffee. We had them in the hospital and they were left at room temps for very prolonged periods of time and I don't recall ever getting one that had turned sour.

The Holy Liquid - Coffee

I use the Snowpeak filter funnel. It folds flat, weigh nada, uses #4 filters. You use your own grind, blend, amount or what ever. The funnel has legs that sit well on a mug or if your careful a thermos ( as I make a cuple of cups at once, so I don't have to fire up the stove again).
It is also very easy to clean. Filter holds used grounds together so there is no brown snow or spill. Easy to put in trash bag, rather than the scattering of grounds from the mesh filters (LNT??).

http://www.backcountry.com/store/SN...l?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=SNO0060&mv_pc=r126

griffin said:
I also tried one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/401153 and while it was better than instant, I'm not sold on it yet. I may give the Aeropress a shot.

Man do some folks love their coffe! Me too but I don't want to carry anything heavy. I've tried several things. I didn't like the staple thing. This one is next.

I may go visit a starbucks soon too. A french press may be perfect for car camping and Boy Scout campouts.

griffin said:
How long will that last on the trail?

I'm still looking for a good trail coffee solution. The in-cup french presses don't work for me because I do want to add milk and sugar.

I haven't been able to find a guide on how long it should last, but I've carried it for 4 days in warm (70s) temps and 10 days in cooler weather (50s-60s). Haven't had it go bad yet. I pour the contents from a can to a small plastic container with a lid.

The in-cup press WILL work even with added stuff- just mix it all together with the grounds and water before you put the press in.

French presses are the best solution- At least for me, I've tried just about everything else, and I cannot live without my morning joe. :eek: