a good wine for the trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
now i'm not encouraging (or discouraging) drinking while hiking, but if you want some pretty good wine in a convenient carrier, check out "black box" wines. i know i know, wine in a box just can't be any good. but this stuff IS pretty good. it comes in 3 liter bags with a push button spigot (just recycle the box) you can easily carry in your pack. i like the cabernet (they also make a merlot and a chardonnay i think). i don't drink WHILE i'm hikin' but summits sometimes call for a glass or two. anyway, bottles are heavy and this stuff is actually pretty good.

disclaimer--i don't work for "black box" or any other beverage distributor. :)

I often will bring wine on an overnight trip. I think it can make the evening meal seem a bit "special." I always open the bottle of wine and pour it into an empty and rinsed 1-liter soda bottle. That way you save weight by not dragging the glass bottle with you, the soda bottle will flatten out when empty and it doesn't add much weight, and you can bring whatever kind of wine you like.

And, when you are done with the wine, those bladders make great inflatable pads to carry in the winter to keep your butt off the snow. They're multi-use!

-dave-

Do you think there is a way I can hook up the 3 liter wine bladder to the tube of my camel back????? :D

Last edited:
I'm more of a beer drinker than wine drinker and have brought some brews on backpack trips. Unfortunately, you can't transfer a beer to another container because it will go flat. There are however beers that carbonate when you open them, so they can get shook up pretty good and won't explode when you want to enjoy it. Guinness cans are one example.

In my younger day's I've carried a case of Bud cans up to the Liberty Cabin on Chocorua to split with friends. Those 70lb packs were no fun, but at least the return trip was easy since the cans flattened out and pack weight dropped by more than half!

David Metsky said:
And, when you are done with the wine, those bladders make great inflatable pads to carry in the winter to keep your butt off the snow. They're multi-use!

-dave-

i see brother metsky 'fesses up to also havin' drunk wine out da box! so i'm not the only one. ,core hikers know about this stuff apparently! :D i do draw the line at drinkin' out of a papersack in scollay square though. no md 20/20 or t'bird for me. really.

beer's always good when you get back down. (don't worry, i don't drive home!)

stuff really ain't bad though. but everything tastes better outdoors as we say. ;) :D

Ahh..there's nothing like a good Chardonnay in a Nalgene bottle! :D It's a requirement of winter camping.
And let's not forget the hip flask -now featuring orange brandy. Set up the tent-break out the flask for a sip-life is good.
Hike Responsibly. ;)

I put whatever wine I choose to carry in a camelbak type bladder.
Easy to carry, easy to pour!
:)
Reds do stain the bladders though...

I usually bring cognac (more punch for the pound) in a nalgene bottle, but not everyone likes cognac, so I might try the black box.

David Metsky said:

-dave-

After drinking the 3 liters, you can use the bladder as a pillow........as you pass out. ;)

Is this the thread to talk about Earl Grey, currant scones with Devonshire cream and perhaps a few Walker's shorbread biscuits?

Sake - Japanese Rice Wine

A friend turned me on to this great wine for winter because unlike most wines you can drink it warm! Just heat it on your MSR and sip away... Pronounced Sah-Kay.

-Kaibar

Sake is a REAL favorite after being out in a cold drizzle.

Come to think of it George, almost ANYTHING with alcohol in it is pretty popular after getting soaked to the bone... ;)

We always braught wine, but only if there was something to celebrate, like a Forty-Sixer finish. I always liked Ballatore. Cheap, but good. Hate the box wine.