A hike for the shear amount of elevation gain, interested?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonPatrikz

Reaction score
There was a post about the hardest trails in the whites some time back, and it was mentioned that King Ravine, Great Gulf and Huntington Ravine trails were some of the hardest and with the most elevation gain. So I set out try and link all of these trails together for a single day hike.

Itinerary

Start in Appalachia

Once up King ravine descend to great gulf via Buttress and 6 husbands, once atop the rock pile via the great gulf, drop down lions head to Huntington’s ravine then back up to the summit. Here then the option of going out the Jewel trail or cut back across to one of the northern routes.

In total with the Jewel trail exit (car spot needed), it comes to about 25 miles with about 11,000 feet of gain.

Anyone up for it ???

If I can line up a sitter for my son (pending on what day you are thinking) I am there with bells on! Been waiting for someone to do a hike like that with!!! Let me know!!! :D

JasonPatrikz said:
There was a post about the hardest trails in the whites some time back, and it was mentioned that King Ravine, Great Gulf and Huntington Ravine trails were some of the hardest and with the most elevation gain. So I set out try and link all of these trails together for a single day hike.
JasonPatrikz said:
The kind of hike that last summer I was planning. I go with you if some
one can remove all the big rocks in those trail. You just need to plan the
hike carefully to avoid been in King Ravine,Great gulf or Huntington in the
dark. :)

Blueblaze said:
If I can line up a sitter for my son (pending on what day you are thinking) I am there with bells on! Been waiting for someone to do a hike like that with!!! Let me know!!! :D

Oh, c'mon now...forget the sitter, the Little Squirrel can do this one, I bet!
;)

Just teasing. I am with Kevin Rooney on this one or at least let me line up the knee replacement surgery so that they just pick me up at the end of the day in an ambulance!

Good luck if you make it happen!

yea - the gulf beats the heck out of the legs and then you have hunts last when legs are jelly.

I don't know - this sounds tougher than a pemi loop. less mileage - but much tougher terrain.

giggy said:
yea - the gulf beats the heck out of the legs and then you have hunts last when legs are jelly.

I don't know - this sounds tougher than a pemi loop. less mileage - but much tougher terrain.

I wonder how this would compare to the last major hikes i have done the last being the double pressie traverse in 22 hours with Tim Seaver (16 peaks 46 miles), and 3 weeks prior Mats and i did a modified pemi loop / traverse that included all the side trips but exited out in crawford notch instead of lincoln woods (13 peaks 39.3miles). And that jelly leg feeling is what i'm looking for :)

una_dogger said:
Sounds interesting! I'm sure its humanly possible for the fit and fast. Might want to tackle this one soon, or save it for next Solstice.

No hiking in the dark??? I was thinking about this but as long as an early start and as long as i hit the nelson crag section above huntingtons before dark i dont mind doing the rest in the dark.

JasonPatrikz said:
No hiking in the dark??? I was thinking about this but as long as an early start and as long as i hit the nelson crag section above huntingtons before dark i dont mind doing the rest in the dark.

Just thinking it would make an enjoyable Solstice challenge, plus the safety of daylight in such rocky terrain.

But I will not discourage you from your goal! I say "go for it" if you feel prepared! :) The worst that can happen is that you may learn you have some limits to train beyond.

The solsitice is something i have been missing for the past couple of years, i've always had bad luck with it. :( Thanks for the considerations

Hmmm... get back to me in Sept... I'm all booked for this month - can't say I'm not intrigued!

Talked it over with the "squirrel" Toe Cozy. Hes a big negative on this one. He said he will cheer us on in spirit though! Looking forward to the challenge!

Hey jason - sorry if my post came off the wrong way - it was directed towards my abilities, by no means yours - I know Mats and know what you guys did recently and have no question that it would be doable for you guys.

I should have been more clear - personally, I wouldn't want the jelly legs up the slabs in hunts at the end of a long day - I might vote for starting with that trail.

This all being said, I would be game for an attempt if all the stars lined up. It sounds like it would be fun time out either way.

How bout making it a 2 day one night bivy ? Due to carrying the weight, one could argue that it could be tougher that way.

I am going to check with LarryD and Bobby to figure out how long this would take us - I think it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of two to four weeks. :eek:

No problem for the fast and fit - I will enjoy reading about it...

Marchowes is right - it is the downhills that will get you - that is a lot of brutal descents!

Have fun. :rolleyes:

giggy said:
Hunts, I might vote for starting with that trail.

I was thinking about too, i was going to start at up hunts then over gulfside and down airline to Kings then continue back the original route just desend Lions head at the end instead of jewell. Still might consider this.

JasonPatrikz said:
I was thinking about too, i was going to start at up hunts then over gulfside and down airline to Kings then continue back the original route just desend Lions head at the end instead of jewell. Still might consider this.

From experience on King Ravine, and what I have read about HR I think you are right in thinking this way...KR would be more doable if tired IMHO...it is steep, but there is really no where where you could fall off the mountain...I would avoid the subway in the dark...could get disoriented there...

From Wash you could take Gulfside to Randolph Path (or torture yourselfs and go down Sphinx and up 6 Husbands to Randolph Path - minor detour! :D ) to KR then exit easily to Appalachia...